If You're a Writer, Consider a Blovel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2012, 02:56 AM

Lightbulb If You're a Writer, Consider a Blovel
A blovel is a novel written on the fly in short daily posts on a blog. Each post is 500 words max, and each post ends with suspense so the reader will want to read the next post. A typical blovel ends up being around 60-100,000 words in length and is usually finished in less than a year. The story becomes addictive to the readers and thus it builds an audience for the author.

I write blovels, and as far as I know, I’m the only one doing so according to the description given above. I believe blovels are a new art form for fiction. I believe they are the future of fiction, and I would appreciate anyone who could tell me where I might find others doing blovels. Or, if you’re thinking of starting one, I would sincerely enjoy dialoging with you. Yes

http://gordons-ghosts.com
Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2012, 03:07 AM
RE: If You're a Writer, Consider a Blovel
I think that a blovel is a good idea but not with all the blog free hosts, especially not with google products.
If I were better in advertising myself I might try it, get an own webspace and stuff but unfortunaltely, I am not neither good in advertising nor the code needed to make your own blog. Completely unskilled Big Grin

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Reminds me of Charles Dickens.

Quote: His novels, most published in monthly or weekly instalments, pioneered the serial publication of narrative fiction, which became the dominant Victorian mode for novel publication. The instalment format allowed Dickens to evaluate his audience's reaction, and he often modified his plot and character development based on such feedback.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
15-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Re: If You're a Writer, Consider a Blovel
So you promote the reprise of pulp fiction via this method. It's effective but it varries in what your writing styles and intents are.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
16-11-2012, 10:30 PM

(15-11-2012 03:07 AM)Leela Wrote:  I think that a blovel is a good idea but not with all the blog free hosts, especially not with google products.
If I were better in advertising myself I might try it, get an own webspace and stuff but unfortunaltely, I am not neither good in advertising nor the code needed to make your own blog. Completely unskilled Big Grin

Actually, I agree. I would rather be doing it on my own platform, and eventually I will. Probably when I finish this first blovel and start the next.

(15-11-2012 06:57 AM)Dom Wrote:  Reminds me of Charles Dickens.

Quote: His novels, most published in monthly or weekly instalments, pioneered the serial publication of narrative fiction, which became the dominant Victorian mode for novel publication. The instalment format allowed Dickens to evaluate his audience's reaction, and he often modified his plot and character development based on such feedback.

Yes, it's very much like that, but of course Charles didn't have the advantages of internet blogs. But the idea is the same.

(15-11-2012 07:07 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  So you promote the reprise of pulp fiction via this method. It's effective but it varries in what your writing styles and intents are.

Good point. Ever thought of writing a pulp fiction blovel yourself?
19-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Seems like a good opportunity for others to steal your work. Consider

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
19-11-2012, 06:20 AM

(19-11-2012 03:25 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Seems like a good opportunity for others to steal your work. Consider

What would they do with it?

My dream is that someone will steal it, make a popular novel out of it, and then I can find the first lawyer in the phone book to sue them and the publisher for copyright theft. I'd be a star.
19-11-2012, 06:44 AM
lol. Well, if it's copyrighted, that's a different story. (Punny as hell, I am)

The stories that I haven't copyrighted, though...eh, I'd be nervous. My art pieces are my babies. It'd feel like throwing my naked daughter out into the streets. (That's why I keep the unprotected pieces in notebooks)

22-11-2012, 05:15 PM

When it comes to copyright, you have it from the time you write it down. In my case, it's obvious that I'm the author and that I wrote it at the earliest date. It is true that someone could steal the idea and make it their own, but so what. More power to them.
However, what I don't do is leave a blovel on the web once it's finished. Once it's finished it comes off, is published as a paperback and I start the next blovel.
But you could be right; I'll just have to see how it plays out.
What kind of art do you do?
22-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Novels, short stories, and screenplays. I write stories just for fun; what I ultimately want to do for a living is make films. I write easily-made films to get myself out there a bit. My more full-scale films, though, are limited to written-form for the time being.

I'm working on about 4 different full-length novels at once right now. lol. I've tried to limit myself to one at a time in the past, but I realized that my creativity simply works in its own way, so I've got 4 different storylines playing out in my head.

As for the copyright, I've never heard of that, but if true, it's a relief. Even with the ones that are officially protected, I get nervous.