"If atheism were true...."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2014, 02:45 PM
RE: "If atheism were true...."
(16-05-2014 02:22 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I just fell out of my chair.

What is naturalism? they just asked me....

I can't be on The Thinking Atheist forum....
I get it now. You are utterly incapable of defining anything. That's why you always avoid doing so.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2014, 02:50 PM
(16-05-2014 02:31 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 02:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  That was not in response - that post preceded yours. You are not only a liar, but a stupid one.

You're not good at this.

1:45 which is when I posted what I did comes BEFORE 2:01 which was when he posted his response.

Whats wrong with you lol?

He wasn't responding to that post as the post clearly shows. The times are immaterial, you are mistaken.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-05-2014, 02:51 PM
I get it now. It took me this long to figure it out.

I was just asked by two people what naturalism is.....

In a forum on TTA......
[+] 1 user Likes Jeremy E Walker's post
16-05-2014, 02:58 PM
(16-05-2014 02:51 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I get it now. It took me this long to figure it out.

In a forum on TTA......
This looks remarkably just like an excuse to avoid defining something that you don't know the definition of... Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
16-05-2014, 03:00 PM
(16-05-2014 02:22 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I just fell out of my chair.

What is naturalism? they just asked me....

I can't be on The Thinking Atheist forum....

Your shit knows no bounds.

What a self righteous ass. Take all of your games and just go away already.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
16-05-2014, 03:05 PM
(16-05-2014 02:51 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I get it now. It took me this long to figure it out.

In a forum on TTA......

You have been asked what you think naturalism is.

You're not very good at this. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-05-2014, 03:16 PM
(16-05-2014 09:40 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 09:35 AM)Impulse Wrote:  You may be right, but if that's really what he means then that's what he should actually say.

Why? Because you think so?

Impulse let me take this one. The answer would be NO because you are assuming what he means. Unless you just had dinner with him and he specifically told you before the debate that he was going to replace one with the other you have no fucking idea this is what he means.

You seem to have a penchant for "knowing" what other people mean but that shouldn't surprise anyone since you have taken the exponential leap of "knowing" what a supposed god wants.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-05-2014, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2014 03:22 PM by rampant.a.i..)
"If atheism were true...."
[Image: 4e3ytyqu.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 3 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
16-05-2014, 03:49 PM

In a forum on TTA......

lol

It is amusing to watch someone so desperatly trying to be sarcastic.

Now, give your definition of "naturalism".

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
16-05-2014, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2014 04:08 PM by Charis.)
Jeremy, I'm going to make this really easy for you.

Mirriam-Webster Dictionary defines naturalism this way:
Quote:1: action, inclination, or thought based only on natural desires and instincts
2: a theory denying that an event or object has a supernatural significance; specifically : the doctrine that scientific laws are adequate to account for all phenomena
3: realism in art or literature; specifically : a theory or practice in literature emphasizing scientific observation of life without idealization and often including elements of determinism

These are widely recognized definitions of the word. When you use this word, we will be thinking you are referring to one of the above ideas. If we are thinking of the word but having different definitions, we won't get anywhere, because we'll be speaking a different language almost.... with different meanings and ideas being attached to the same sound-combinations. Please choose one so that we know which one you are speaking of when you use it. Alternately, if you are thinking of something different than those in the dictionary, either tell us this definition that you have, OR we can find the appropriate term for the definition you are thinking of. This way, we can all be on the same page. Do this with any term that is being stumbled over.

Also, if you are using the word in a different sense at different times, THAT'S OKAY! It's okay to do that, AS LONG AS you make the transition known.

Let's nail this jello down.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.