If atheists ancestors are morons, how has atheism transcended their relatives?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2012, 12:32 PM
If atheists ancestors are morons, how has atheism transcended their relatives?
Clearly all atheists ancestors were morons, just ask an atheist....What I would like to know is how would one actually know that being an atheist is not simply the modern version of their ancestors stupidity, not unlike a monty python skit, "Dunk the witch, if she lives then we burn her"....If your ancestors were as big of morons as you all claim how have you transcended their stupidty? You have their genetics, so what exact methodology makes you not a genetic moron as an atheist where your family history is filled with theistic genetic morons? School, reading, television, college culture,?....LOL one has to laugh at the absurdity of religion to say the least.....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes davdT's post
28-07-2012, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2012 02:40 PM by FSM_scot.)
RE: If atheists ancestors are morons, how has atheism transcended their relatives?
I've never heard any atheist claim their ancestors were morons. I don't know where you get that claim from?. If all our ancestors were morons the human race wouldn't have made any progress, something we clearly have, so they couldn't have all been morons.

Belief in a god is not genetic. It is the product of culture and upbringing. So why bring genetics into it?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
28-07-2012, 02:37 PM
RE: If atheists ancestors are morons, how has atheism transcended their relatives?
(28-07-2012 12:32 PM)davdT Wrote:  Clearly all atheists ancestors were morons, just ask an atheist....

What?

WTF are you talking about?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-07-2012, 02:47 PM
(28-07-2012 12:32 PM)davdT Wrote:  If your ancestors were as big of morons as you all claim how have you transcended their stupidty? You have their genetics, so what exact methodology makes you not a genetic moron as an atheist where your family history is filled with theistic genetic morons?

You seem to have a great familiarity with stupidity. I think what you're trying to argue is that if our ancestors were theists, and our ancestors were wrong in being believers, and we are descended from their genes, then how can we atheists be any smarter than they were?

Beyond your stunningly poor understanding of genetics, you also fail to grasp that human knowledge increases with each succeeding generation. Our ancestors may have believed things that were the best available explanation at the time, that we have subsequently explained scientifically. However in your blood line, apparently, there is no growth in knowledge or understanding, so you still believe in myths created thousands of years ago.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
28-07-2012, 02:55 PM
First off, there have always been non-believers. Every society has the members who don't go along with everything that is done. No tribe was completely held together in a belief for it's entire existence. Religion is a cultural thing, it's not something you're born with. It's also easy to fall into traps. While life is not exactly better with religion it looks that way from the outside. When you look in at the people always professing their happiness it seems like it might be better.

The reason that the movement is picking up so much right now has a lot to do with how easy life is compared to how it used to be, but that doesn't matter because this isn't the first time for this movement. Just like any other control mechanism there are points where it's fought and points where it's ignored. When people stop actively preparing to avoid a trap they start falling into it. A large number of the highly vocal atheists mention a lot of predecessors. Plenty of people who made a huge difference.

That we have to go through the same steps we've gone through plenty of times is just one of those errors with the group. In the end we just want this to be out of the way. Most of us don't feel it's that important. So once it isn't very important the large throngs of people not that concerned stop looking for these traps. Someone brings it back up and the whole game starts again. Right now we're just at a point where things have to change again. So all those people who generally don't care about these things are up in arms with the ones who will never forget. The only difference is that nowadays rather than people simply fighting to not be stuck under heavy dogma we have people fighting more of the system openly. We aren't trying to be deists, we're taking the next step. A lot of the arguments have been against a church, hopefully now that we're focusing on the undiscussable topic things might stick a bit better.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
28-07-2012, 03:20 PM
He's just a troll, guys. One post, and we shouldn't expect one to follow. He doesn't want honest debate -- he just came to stir us up because it makes him feel better about himself.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
28-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Waa Sad Now you make me sad Tongue

I actually have half an idea this guy may be on our side... the laughable religion comment at the end made me wonder. OTOH I don't have any clue what he's talking about...

... makes me think of Scar's comment about the shallow end of the gene pool Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Troll?!?
AHahahahahahahahahahaaaah

Yummy. Evil_monster

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
28-07-2012, 03:43 PM
(28-07-2012 12:32 PM)davdT Wrote:  Clearly all atheists ancestors were morons, just ask an atheist....What I would like to know is how would one actually know that being an atheist is not simply the modern version of their ancestors stupidity, not unlike a monty python skit, "Dunk the witch, if she lives then we burn her"....If your ancestors were as big of morons as you all claim how have you transcended their stupidty? You have their genetics, so what exact methodology makes you not a genetic moron as an atheist where your family history is filled with theistic genetic morons? School, reading, television, college culture,?....LOL one has to laugh at the absurdity of religion to say the least.....

I've actually thought about this idea. That is the ancient origins of the power of questioning things, that lead to atheism.

Shermer in his book The Believing Brain argued that the default position for early human beings was belief. He based the idea on something called false positives. Where thinking that something wasn't dangerous when it really was.

I would say he left out the power of the question. Simply doubting the belief, and holding off a decision until one gained more knowledge, is what I think powered the atheist mind set. There could be a positive selection pressure for a people who investigated the world around them rather than sticking to long held beliefs.

After all, the way primitive people hunt, gather, and avoid things they cannot take on had to be investigated first at some point. Those who deviated and found better methods would become more successful. For instance going into a forbidden forest and finding a bounty of animals. Thumbsup

At that point it'd only be a matter of time before what the theologian said and what a person discovered would contradict one another.

When reality shows the theologian to be wrong, then atheism may start to grow.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
28-07-2012, 04:06 PM
We'll talk about almost anything Star =p The bigger question would be why was a troll let in? =p Stark needs to get Buddy a bath so he can tell the difference again (not sure we still do that joke much)

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post