If everyone where given weapons would we destroy ourselves?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2013, 03:58 PM
If everyone where given weapons would we destroy ourselves?
I remember seeing a Sci-fi movie long ago, it was the usual alien invasion kind of movie. However in this movie the Aliens didn´t exterminate the humans by directly attacking them.
Instead what they did was supply each and every one of them with powerful weapons, thus allowing the humans to do the extermination of the human race themselves.

Now my question is this lets say that an Alien race did indeed arrive on Earth and like the ones in the movie gave all the people of the earth access to equally powerful weapons what would happen? Would we destroy ourselves in a huge wars or might our self preservation instinct be large enough that we would cheese any war before it got big enough to destroy human civilization?.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2013, 04:13 PM
RE: If everyone where given weapons would we destroy ourselves?
Where would we keep our weapons?

(sorry, couldn't resist).

I guess it depends on how "equally powerful" our weapons are.

(I assume we get unlimited ammo too?)

Give us all AK-47s, and we won't wipe out our entire race. Some would use them, that's for certain, and some people will die. Others would use theirs in self defense and more will die. But we already have global access to guns like that and we're not exterminating ourselves.

Give us all howitzers, and it would be about the same as AK-47s, but more collateral damage and less portability.

Give us all a bunch of hydrogen bombs, and we would probably kill everything on earth. Somebody would use them, then retaliation, then more retaliation, then all go boom.

For extra fun, give us all Illudium Q-38 Explosive Space Modulator, the planet would be gone in under an hour, unless we get saved by a bunny.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
26-01-2013, 04:18 AM
(25-01-2013 03:58 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  or might our self preservation instinct be large enough that we would cheese any war before it got big enough to destroy human civilization?.

someone had to do it...
[+] 2 users Like Idlecuriosity's post
26-01-2013, 04:45 AM
Presumably the aliens aren't gonna give us something we can point at them. Nah, I think our herd instinct is great enough that we'd recognize the threat, at least in the short term, and not use them - I mean, we have access to nuclear weapons and look at us all living like there's no such thing as a blast radius. If they were gonna supply mega weapons, why not just do the leg-work themselves ?
31-01-2013, 03:38 AM
I guess it would depend on the person. You can take a person that has no thought of killing, give him a BMG.50 cal, and he still will have no notion to go and and start sniping. Case in point. In 2006 in the Tacoma mall you had a guy that was butt hurt because his girlfriend left him, so he "want other people to feel him pain". So he went into the mall and start shooting people at random. The was a guy that drew his gun, and had him dead to rights but could not fire because of his nature. Even though his life was in jeopardy, he couldn't bring himself to to defend himself because he got shot due to hesitation.

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
31-01-2013, 04:50 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2013 05:27 AM by Luminon.)
I was at a lecture about guns, arranged by the local Libertarian party.

They said that in Kennesaw, Georgia there was a lot of burglary in the 80's. The mayor ordered all adults to get at least one gun per household! The burglary and other crime stopped very, very quickly. And since then, how many gun-related murders were there? Apparently 4 in 30 years.

The lecture changed my opinion about guns, from mildly negative to rather positive. Now I understand the function of guns in society. It is entirely all right if a law-abiding, wise and skilled person gets a gun, he becomes a guarantee of safety for all the good and harmless people around. If there's more around, they can for example stop a robbery. As it happened in Switzerland, where some foreign mafia thought they can make a bank. They ran outside with the money, only to have 30 or so military rifles aimed at them from the windows at the city square.

- Dum-dum ammo is good. It makes big holes in the victim, but at least it doesn't shoot through him at the other people behind him. At least he drops instantly, instead of shooting several more people for a minute or so. When somebody attacks the innocent with a weapon, he gives up his right to live and everyone is justified in shooting him in heat of the moment.

Surprisingly, my country banned a laser pointer and night vision and put heavy regulations even on a rifle scope. That was, because the police director once saw a British serial about CI5 agents from the 80's (maybe you know them, one had an afro) and there the night vision scope was portrayed as a dangerous thing. So now the law-abiding policemen and gamekeepers can't use it and must be at mercy of... I don't know, Russian mafians who can use any stuff they want?
I wouldn't even consider using a gun without a laser pointer. I'd shoot lots of people by mistake. Or I'd get shot first - my reaction is 0.4 second at the very, very best. But I don't mind if other, more capable people get them. I'd like to see the government ignore or persecute people demonstrating against them - if they all carried a gun with sharp rounds.