If evolution is true...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2013, 09:43 PM
If evolution is true...
I got this argument earlier..

Quote:If evolution is true and there is no god, why are older fossils found deeper than newer ones, where did the rest of the dirt come from!?
I figured it had something to with the conditions upon which fossilization happens, which is mostly due to organisms or bones that were covered by a landslide or via sediment in rivers. What are your thoughts on this argument?

also
Quote:Why is there no proof of animals turning into other animals?
Which I sum up as ignorance. The examples I can think of proving evolution are ring species and transitional fossils.

It is amazing how any information given is completely ignored most of the time. Cognitive Dissonance in real time that you can see, it's insane. It's as if they didn't even see what you said. They also go off on tangents and bring up completely unrelated things.

What the hell do we do to get people questioning things?
I wouldn't care so much if beliefs didn't hinder science.
Can you guys add to these arguments?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2013, 10:05 PM
RE: If evolution is true...
If they can't read, i usually direct them to the Carl Sagan video on Youtube.
If they're determined not to understand, all explanation is futile.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
01-01-2013, 10:25 PM
(01-01-2013 10:05 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  If they can't read, i usually direct them to the Carl Sagan video on Youtube.
Which Carl Sagan Video?
[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
01-01-2013, 10:26 PM
The first question shows a complete ignorance of even the basic fundamentals of geology. It's like asking, "Well how come parents are always older than their kids?" It's so naive and backwards, from the perspective of someone who actually studied geology in college, that I have trouble thinking on a low enough level to answer him.

Fossils are buried in sediment, which is clay, gravel, sand, and such: the eroded remains of older rocks. Rocks are continually uplifted by geological processes, which form hills, mountains, etc. Rocks are eroded from those formations and are carried downhill and downstream. In some areas the sediment settles out of the water and forms layers of sand, mud, or dirt. This is where fossils form. New sediment comes and settles on top. It doesn't magically tunnel underneath the older sediment which is already deposited. It settles on top. Hence why older rocks are on bottom and newer rocks are on top. This is one of the basic principles of geology.

Now, geological activity can disturb rocks, and things like uplift or orogeny or subduction can disturb the ordering of rocks so that you can find newer rocks below older rocks. But this is usually very obvious to geologists when this has happened, because it involves the expenditure of huge amounts of energy over very long periods of times, and the effects on the rocks are obvious.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 6 users Like Phaedrus's post
01-01-2013, 10:30 PM
(01-01-2013 10:25 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(01-01-2013 10:05 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  If they can't read, i usually direct them to the Carl Sagan video on Youtube.
Which Carl Sagan Video?

The second of the Cosmos series I would think:

http://youtu.be/QPZxlWy0m7c
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
01-01-2013, 10:30 PM
(01-01-2013 10:25 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
Which Carl Sagan Video?
The segment "on evolution" from Cosmos.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
01-01-2013, 10:50 PM
The first question is fucktarded. Not sure what simple concept he is having issues with understanding.

The second question is fucktarded because he clearly has not read a lick of evolutionary theory.

Conclusion: the guy is a fucktard. I suggest only further interacting with him if you are curious as to what levels of fucktardery he is capable of achieving.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
01-01-2013, 10:51 PM
It's so nice to meet people that think rationally. Glad I found this forum.
[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
01-01-2013, 11:06 PM
We usually think rationally, but all it takes is one incessantly obnoxious splooge muncher to cause a forum meltdown every once in awhile.

Stay away from the splooge munchers.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
01-01-2013, 11:29 PM
(01-01-2013 09:43 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  If evolution is true...
Why do they always say it this way? Consider Do they have some phrase-a-day calendar or are they just a hive mind?

Quote:... and there is no god....
So, this hinges solely on evolution? Undecided Kind of fragile, for a god... pull out the wrong tinker toy and they're fucked.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 7 users Like kim's post