If evolution is true...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2013, 03:31 PM
RE: If evolution is true...
On the subject of personal accounts, my great grandparents (maternal grandmother's parents) were both devout Mormons. He died first. Only after that did I learn that he was a jerk to her for close to 70 years and even occasionally physically abusive. But there was no divorce and they were "Sealed in the Temple" so their marriage would be permanent, even in the afterlife. Inseparable. Forever.

A couple years later she got ill. Really ill. Doctors said a few months, maybe half a year at most. Nothing specific, just really old and everything was shutting down. But not her mind. She lingered for almost a decade, unable to get out of bed, in a full-care nursing home, eventually unable to eat (she required an IV full time). And yet she lingered on. In pain. Covered with bedsores. Miserable.

Everyone, her own daughters, begged her to let go, stop clinging to this world and move on to heaven where she wouldn't suffer any more.

But always her answer was "No. Because that bastard is up there waiting for me and I'm not going to spend even one more minute with him than I have to."

I guess it wasn't fear, so much, as disgust and loathing for her husband, the "god" who she would be forever bound to with no parole and no escape, that made her last days, her last years, so awful, so painful, but still, to her, far preferable to having to meet up with her husband in heaven.

Religion really sucks.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
08-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Wow, that's awful and sad and just freakin' wrong on so many levels...

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
08-01-2013, 06:01 PM
(08-01-2013 03:31 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  On the subject of personal accounts, my great grandparents (maternal grandmother's parents) were both devout Mormons. He died first. Only after that did I learn that he was a jerk to her for close to 70 years and even occasionally physically abusive. But there was no divorce and they were "Sealed in the Temple" so their marriage would be permanent, even in the afterlife. Inseparable. Forever.

A couple years later she got ill. Really ill. Doctors said a few months, maybe half a year at most. Nothing specific, just really old and everything was shutting down. But not her mind. She lingered for almost a decade, unable to get out of bed, in a full-care nursing home, eventually unable to eat (she required an IV full time). And yet she lingered on. In pain. Covered with bedsores. Miserable.

Everyone, her own daughters, begged her to let go, stop clinging to this world and move on to heaven where she wouldn't suffer any more.

But always her answer was "No. Because that bastard is up there waiting for me and I'm not going to spend even one more minute with him than I have to."

I guess it wasn't fear, so much, as disgust and loathing for her husband, the "god" who she would be forever bound to with no parole and no escape, that made her last days, her last years, so awful, so painful, but still, to her, far preferable to having to meet up with her husband in heaven.

Religion really sucks.
I am so sorry Sad

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard