If faith and science cannot be reconciled, can they still exist side by side ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2016, 01:22 PM
If faith and science cannot be reconciled, can they still exist side by side ?
I think this is a very important question and one that could be debated ad infinitum. I am an atheist, but I have many friends who are not. Some are Christian, some Muslim, others Buddhists and few who are probably none of the above. 99.9 percent of the time, we don't give two shits about whose god/or lack thereof, is right.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2016, 01:32 PM
RE: If faith and science cannot be reconciled, can they still exist side by side ?
You're lucky your theist friends don't bring up their religious beliefs. In my area most Christians are pretty laid back, they almost never bring it up and it's very much mixed up with eastern philosophies and they only focus on the positive aspects, "Jesus loves you man!" I only deal with the hard core types occasionally, mostly online and when I call my parents.

In that sense they're watered down variety of belief can co-exist with science since the science of our origins and the universe doesn't have anything to do with their jesus love good vibes. I think as long as you can dismiss huge chunks of the Bible including all of Genesis and other important parts of the OT as either allegory or just fiction it's fine but unfortunately that means disregarding important aspects of the religion, which many theists can't do.

Really most Christians who are very devout have to put blinders on so they can filter out the science and only accept the theories and concepts that align with their beliefs and the Bible, there's no other way for them to survive it so they suffer terribly from cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias. I don't worry about it too much until they start to get angry about it, infect our laws with their homophobia or "religious liberty!" and try to teach their creationism nonsense in schools, until that stops we can't coexist.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post
10-06-2016, 01:54 PM
RE: If faith and science cannot be reconciled, can they still exist side by side ?
(10-06-2016 01:32 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  You're lucky your theist friends don't bring up their religious beliefs. In my area most Christians are pretty laid back, they almost never bring it up and it's very much mixed up with eastern philosophies and they only focus on the positive aspects, "Jesus loves you man!" I only deal with the hard core types occasionally, mostly online and when I call my parents.

In that sense they're watered down variety of belief can co-exist with science since the science of our origins and the universe doesn't have anything to do with their jesus love good vibes. I think as long as you can dismiss huge chunks of the Bible including all of Genesis and other important parts of the OT as either allegory or just fiction it's fine but unfortunately that means disregarding important aspects of the religion, which many theists can't do.

Really most Christians who are very devout have to put blinders on so they can filter out the science and only accept the theories and concepts that align with their beliefs and the Bible, there's no other way for them to survive it so they suffer terribly from cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias. I don't worry about it too much until they start to get angry about it, infect our laws with their homophobia or "religious liberty!" and try to teach their creationism nonsense in schools, until that stops we can't coexist.

I should be clear that most of my friends are "of their religion" by birth...mostly. That is not to say that they don't consider themselves part of that particular religion. But they consider knowledge and faith as two separate things, which they should be.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
10-06-2016, 04:30 PM
(10-06-2016 01:22 PM)The Drake Wrote:  I think this is a very important question and one that could be debated ad infinitum. I am an atheist, but I have many friends who are not. Some are Christian, some Muslim, others Buddhists and few who are probably none of the above. 99.9 percent of the time, we don't give two shits about whose god/or lack thereof, is right.

I don't think it's debatable. I think it's indisputable. I work with a bunch of scientists of just about every faith I can think of. It has zero effect on how we work together. It's more like a curiosity. "Oh, so you're a Sikh? How interesting."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Faith in action is moral certainty. Scientists could actually use less at times. Laugh out load

Also, remove the dogma and the difference between "faith" and "axiomatic" is negligible.

This shit ain't a problem unless someone makes it a problem.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Science & Fantasy actually go together very well.
It's called science fiction.

As long as you understand that fiction isn't real, we're all good.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
10-06-2016, 09:47 PM
Is it possible for some individuals of faith to coexist with science, and even practice science? Yes. Demonstrably so. We see this every day. .... well, okay, I don't, but that's only because I'm not touring science labs every day. Still, it's clearly true. Similarly, the two modes of thought (faith and science) can exist in the same mind, albeit compartmentalized.

Can ALL individuals of faith coexist with science? This isn't QUITE as easy to answer, but it's still pretty easy. No, they can't. Evolution-denial alone is not only encouraged by some faiths, it is required by it.

(And to be clear, I'm distinguishing the faith of, say, a hardcore conservative literalist fundamentalist dominionist Christian from the faith of a laid-back, liberal, non-literalist, secularist Christian. Arguably they're the same faith, arguably they're not. I think the choice of where to draw the line is pretty arbitrary, and in this case making the fine distinctions is useful for answering the question.)

So the question really boils down to this. Can the faiths that can get along with science exist, without also requiring the faiths that do not get along with science to exist? Can we get only the good (well, not-so-bad) without the awful? I think not. So long as there are liberal Christians who honor the Bible as a nice (if not literal) book, they'll be producing a few cast-offs who will decide it's literal truth. Same with Muslims and the Koran, and other religions and their creeds. If in this moment everyone was magically transformed into people of either no faith or faith that could coexist with science, and if there were still a sizable number of faithful, in a generation or two we'd be back to the same problem we have now.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
11-06-2016, 02:22 AM
It is possible yes, but once you follow one of the already established religions, it becomes extremely illogical. Science debunks all religions with a creation myth since their creation myth is the basis of their entire religion. I could go on for quite a while just giving examples, but I will leave it there for now. There is no limit to whatever woo woo deist religious ideas a person might have that could easily coexist with our scientific understanding, but it still falls into the same boat of that they have no real reason to believe in such a thing and still rely on their faith as the only means to keep their belief and cannot provide proof of their beliefs.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-06-2016, 02:30 AM
(10-06-2016 06:12 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Faith in action is moral certainty. Scientists could actually use less at times. Laugh out load

Also, remove the dogma and the difference between "faith" and "axiomatic" is negligible.

This shit ain't a problem unless someone makes it a problem.

How many people here you think get that? Not Birdy for sure. He don't appreciate how that insight earns your keep. 'Cause he's stupid.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-06-2016, 03:36 AM
Separated? Yes.

Reconciled? No, and that's a good thing.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]