If faith and science cannot be reconciled, can they still exist side by side ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2016, 05:24 AM
RE: If faith and science cannot be reconciled, can they still exist side by side ?
There can be only one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2016, 05:46 AM
RE: If faith and science cannot be reconciled, can they still exist side by side ?
There is no "reconciliation" necessary for science and religion; science stands alone on its own merits, and needs not the slightest endorsement from those of faith. Faith is nothing more than belief without evidence. Science is the diametric opposite.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
11-06-2016, 05:56 AM
(10-06-2016 01:22 PM)The Drake Wrote:  I think this is a very important question and one that could be debated ad infinitum. I am an atheist, but I have many friends who are not. Some are Christian, some Muslim, others Buddhists and few who are probably none of the above. 99.9 percent of the time, we don't give two shits about whose god/or lack thereof, is right.

No, there is no splitting the baby or "separate but equal". But one is an issue of evidence. It would still be inhumane regardless to try to use force of government to end any religion. Our species will never be 100% delusion free. The unfortunate part of our species reality is that we don't understand that our perceptions of reality are notoriously flawed. And most humans get raised in the local religions of the societies they are born into.

The only reasonable thing skeptics and atheists can do is counter old and bad claims with debate, science, ridicule and blasphemy. But there will never be a perfect solution and while we can work to a more civil and secular world, not even atheists should chase a utopia.

But yea, all religions, even those of Asia, but all in human history are really nothing more than our species excuses to set up social order. Still have to deal with reality ourselves too in that force and violence ourselves, wont change our species evolutionary flaws.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2016, 07:34 AM
(10-06-2016 01:22 PM)The Drake Wrote:  I think this is a very important question and one that could be debated ad infinitum. I am an atheist, but I have many friends who are not. Some are Christian, some Muslim, others Buddhists and few who are probably none of the above. 99.9 percent of the time, we don't give two shits about whose god/or lack thereof, is right.

If I'm reading that right, when everybody sets aside their religious beliefs and are just dealing in reality everybody gets along. I think that answers the question. Science and faith can exist side-by-side as long as faith keeps quiet. I don't see how it makes sense to give respect both to science and to unevidenced beliefs.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-06-2016, 07:48 AM

Polar bears and penguins exist, but not side by side, each is irrelevant to the other.

However, religion needs to be equated to science, so they box up all the polar bears and send them to McMurdo Sound. Or at least they say they did and get mad if you ask for evidence of antipodean polar bears.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2016, 12:03 PM
(10-06-2016 04:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I don't think it's debatable. I think it's indisputable. I work with a bunch of scientists of just about every faith I can think of. It has zero effect on how we work together. It's more like a curiosity. "Oh, so you're a Sikh? How interesting."

I don't disagree. For people in scientific fields it may not be an issue. But for the rest of us lay people, the decisions that some make, are not always guided by knowledge.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
11-06-2016, 12:08 PM
(11-06-2016 05:46 AM)SYZ Wrote:  There is no "reconciliation" necessary for science and religion; science stands alone on its own merits, and needs not the slightest endorsement from those of faith. Faith is nothing more than belief without evidence. Science is the diametric opposite.

Can they still exist side by side ? That was the question.

11-06-2016, 12:15 PM
(11-06-2016 07:34 AM)unfogged Wrote:  

If I'm reading that right, when everybody sets aside their religious beliefs and are just dealing in reality everybody gets along. I think that answers the question. Science and faith can exist side-by-side as long as faith keeps quiet. I don't see how it makes sense to give respect both to science and to unevidenced beliefs.

Not so much keeps quiet. They can shout from the pulpit all they want. But I'd be happy if faith didn't try to do science. There's a church for that.

11-06-2016, 03:41 PM
(10-06-2016 06:12 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Faith in action is moral certainty. Scientists could actually use less at times. Laugh out load

Also, remove the dogma and the difference between "faith" and "axiomatic" is negligible.

This shit ain't a problem unless someone makes it a problem.

I don't think science ever claims "MORAL CERTAINTY". Only facts

11-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Religion is history.