If faith and science cannot be reconciled, can they still exist side by side ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2016, 06:41 PM
RE: If faith and science cannot be reconciled, can they still exist side by side ?
(11-06-2016 12:08 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 05:46 AM)SYZ Wrote:  There is no "reconciliation" necessary for science and religion; science stands alone on its own merits, and needs not the slightest endorsement from those of faith. Faith is nothing more than belief without evidence. Science is the diametric opposite.

Can they still exist side by side ? That was the question.

Yes and no. The gentle, mellow varieties of religion are nearly harmless while the virulent fundamentalist forms are dangerous and cannot coexist with reason.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2016, 07:33 PM
RE: If faith and science cannot be reconciled, can they still exist side by side ?
"Faith is believing what you know ain't so." Mark Twain

Faith is Doublethink.
Find all posts by this user
12-06-2016, 12:22 PM
(11-06-2016 12:08 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 05:46 AM)SYZ Wrote:  There is no "reconciliation" necessary for science and religion; science stands alone on its own merits, and needs not the slightest endorsement from those of faith. Faith is nothing more than belief without evidence. Science is the diametric opposite.

Can they still exist side by side ? That was the question.

They certainly can—and do—but the stupidity of religious dogma serves only to divert people from the tenets of science. Therefore religion is an unwarranted distraction from the realities of the world, and needs to be eradicated. In a perfect world scenario, science would not have religion at its side.

At any rate, the OP's question first presupposed that faith and science could not be reconciled, which virtually answered the second part of the question itself.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
12-06-2016, 12:31 PM
How many centuries are we behind where we could have been if religion hadn't fought against progress?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-06-2016, 04:14 PM
If faith cannot be reconciled with science, then one must extinguish the other.
14-06-2016, 09:34 AM
(10-06-2016 01:22 PM)The Drake Wrote:  I think this is a very important question and one that could be debated ad infinitum. I am an atheist, but I have many friends who are not. Some are Christian, some Muslim, others Buddhists and few who are probably none of the above. 99.9 percent of the time, we don't give two shits about whose god/or lack thereof, is right.
Yes they can coexist, unreconciled. Human beings are marvelously inconsistent, and are quite adept at simultaneously believing two or more mutually - exclusive ideas. Which of these ideas will get acted upon will depend on the context of each situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
14-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Science and religion will always conflict because the former produces knowledge & the latter produces myth.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
18-06-2016, 12:43 AM
faith is believing in something without evidence. scientific progress is made using the scientific method which requires evidence to support hypothesis.

therefore faith and science cannot coexist unless you're willing to move on ignoring the dissonance between the two which is dishonest imo.
[+] 1 user Likes Bear100's post
18-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Faith and science can and do co-exist.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-06-2016, 08:22 PM
I feel the two only co-exist when bias is in play. In order to take something on faith, you're willingly and irrationally choosing to ignore or reject scientific pursuit or inquiry. There are plenty of Christian Scientists who, even though they discount the Bible as literal descriptions of the past - they still have to have a choice to ignore the evidence (or lack their of) of a God, how this God some how manipulates all of us and willfully ignore the psychiatric and philosophical ramifications of such a belief. They are basically choosing to tell themselves "I'm willing to apply the scientific method to all attributes of these fields, except for these few exceptions. I'm willing to accept these few beliefs at face value because I lack the self confidence or maintain an insecurity or fear that I refuse to question or confront".
Seems harsh, but that's pretty much how I see it. I was once this way myself, as an Agnostic it's easy to say "well God is a hypothesis and like many experiments, perhaps we're not yet capable of testing that". However, over time I realized that there was enough evidence to not just suggest, but pretty much state that while there COULD be a God, it's certainly not in our universe. Eventually I discovered that it's rather undisputable. There's no evidence of a God here. There's also no evidence one existed. However, there's evidence of our universe's beginnings. There's evidence it is a closed system. There's evidence that it's finite, despite being borderless. All this evidence means that while you cannot Disprove a God could exist, I'm sure I can prove that if there is a God - it doesn't exist here. Our Universe is incompatible with such a hypothesis and so sure is this resolution, that it's not a hypothesis anymore - it's a graduated theory.

So I find it hypocritical for those to exclaim that they practice logical and scientific reasoning, yet still rest on faith for sensitive topics they simply do not wish to confront.
They can co-exist, but they only do so by willingly being ignorant.
[+] 2 users Like Einharjar's post