If god did in fact exist, would you submit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 01:29 AM by shimmyjimmy.)
If god did in fact exist, would you submit?
In a debate with William Lane Craig, Sam Harris said that if God did exist, and religious scripture was true, then he would want to do anything he could to secure his place in heaven.

Do you agree with him?

I don't think someone like Christopher Hitchens would agree, as he was a passionate anti-theist that seemed to not want to go down without a fight.

So I guess what I'm asking is if God did exist and scripture was true, whether or not you would submit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2014, 01:29 AM
RE: If god did in fact exist, would you submit?
(10-03-2014 01:26 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  In a debate with William Lane Craig, Sam Harries said that if God did exist, and religious scripture was true, then he would want to do anything he could to secure his place in heaven.

Do you agree with him?

I don't think someone like Christopher Hitchens would agree, as he was a passionate anti-theist that seemed to not want to go down without a fight.

So I guess is what I'm asking is if God did exist and scripture is true, whether or not you would submit.

If I was forced to choose between heaven or hell I would probably go with heaven. Eternity of torture sounds very unpleasent. But it's not my choice it's more like extortion. Just as I would praise somebody who kidnapped and imprisoned me to keep them from torturing me.
[+] 4 users Like donotwant's post
10-03-2014, 01:29 AM
If god existed, it would resemble 10:17 onwards of this video.

10-03-2014, 01:36 AM
(10-03-2014 01:26 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  In a debate with William Lane Craig, Sam Harris said that if God did exist, and religious scripture was true, then he would want to do anything he could to secure his place in heaven.

Do you agree with him?

So I guess what I'm asking is if God did exist and scripture was true, whether or not you would submit.

I'd like to think that I am a far more honourable and disciplined human being than to betray my principles and try to grovel at the feet of what would be without a doubt the greatest mass of evil in all possible existence, just to be spared the evidence of its evil.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 8 users Like Free Thought's post
10-03-2014, 01:39 AM
(10-03-2014 01:36 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 01:26 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  In a debate with William Lane Craig, Sam Harris said that if God did exist, and religious scripture was true, then he would want to do anything he could to secure his place in heaven.

Do you agree with him?

I'd like to think that I am a far more honourable and disciplined human being than to betray my principles and try to grovel at the feet of what would be without a doubt the greatest mass of evil in all possible existence, just to be spared the evidence of its evil.
You would probably change your mind in less than 10 seconds Laughat
[+] 2 users Like donotwant's post
10-03-2014, 01:40 AM
The book Tactics by Gregory Koukl (popular book in Christian apologetics circles) outlines various debating strategies for Christians debating Atheists and others. The biggest strategy? Initiate with QUESTIONS. Make no claims yourself, so as to not appear to be going on the offensive. Get the other side to answer your questions, which usually involves them making a claim (remember, you're only here asking questions, right?). Once the other side has made a claim, make them back it up. Stay in control of the situation with questions, being very careful not to appear to be going on the offensive.

I'm sure you would never be doing that, right? This question (a popular one in the Living Waters/Way of the Master/School of Biblical Evangelism) along with certain other honest questions....
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
10-03-2014, 01:40 AM

Do you agree with him?

Harris' response was more nuanced than that. He was defending his basis of secular morality saying that if Heaven, Hell, and Sin all actually did exist as contributing factors and if Heaven was the desired end goal, that would all still be a part of his moral landscape. I'm sure that Harris would require much better definitions of Heaven, Hell, Sin, and evidence for their existence, before he'd make such a decision.

But assuming that Heaven is kissing Yahweh's ass for eternity and Hell is eternal torture, I'll take burning in the lake of fire over submitting to that fucked in the head sadist. The god of the Bible, as described in the Bible, I am simply incapable of worshiping; I lack both the ability and the desire.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
10-03-2014, 01:41 AM
If a god did exist, I don't think it would be from earth scriptures.
I would also like to know the god's theology.
"In a sphere of knowledge, there are some things that can't be proven, so you must open a bigger sphere of knowledge, but in it, some things can't be proven, so open a bigger sphere and so forth."- incompleteness theorum.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
(10-03-2014 01:40 AM)Charis Wrote:  The book Tactics by Gregory Koukl outlines various debating strategies for Christians debating Atheists and others. The biggest strategy? Initiate with QUESTIONS. Make no claims yourself, so as to not appear to be going on the offensive. Get the other side to answer your questions, which usually involves them making a claim (remember, you're only here asking questions, right?). Once the other side has made a claim, make them back it up. Stay in control of the situation with questions, being very careful not to appear to be going on the offensive.

Doesn't work on me since I ask question after answering one and if opponent refuse so do I.
(10-03-2014 01:39 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 01:36 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'd like to think that I am a far more honourable and disciplined human being than to betray my principles and try to grovel at the feet of what would be without a doubt the greatest mass of evil in all possible existence, just to be spared the evidence of its evil.

You would probably change your mind in less than 10 seconds Laughat

I did say "I'd like to think..."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.