If god did in fact exist, would you submit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 01:45 AM
RE: If god did in fact exist, would you submit?
(10-03-2014 01:41 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 01:39 AM)donotwant Wrote:  You would probably change your mind in less than 10 seconds Laughat

I did say "I'd like to think..."

I see a lot of people saying "I'd rather go to hell than worship that mofo" but in reality if hell would be as horrible as it is people would do everything to avoid it.
I experienced both physical pains and mental psychosis which were similar to torture and I say there are many ways to get tortured worse than that. And if some tyrant will come up with the worst way of torture in existence of course I would do everything to avoid it.
Sure he is a totalitarian monster but if that's the deal then so be it. There is no compromise in the face of suffering.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2014, 01:49 AM
(10-03-2014 01:45 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 01:41 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I did say "I'd like to think..."

I see a lot of people saying "I'd rather go to hell than worship that mofo" but in reality if hell would be as horrible as it is people would do everything to avoid it.
I experienced both physical pains and mental psychosis and I say there are many ways to get tortured worse than that. And if some tyrant will come up with the worst way of torture in existence of course I would do everything to avoid it.
Sure he is a totalitarian monster but if that's the deal then so be it. There is no compromise in the face of suffering.
I don't even get how stuff burns in a metaphysical world.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
10-03-2014, 01:50 AM
(10-03-2014 01:49 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 01:45 AM)donotwant Wrote:  I see a lot of people saying "I'd rather go to hell than worship that mofo" but in reality if hell would be as horrible as it is people would do everything to avoid it.
I experienced both physical pains and mental psychosis and I say there are many ways to get tortured worse than that. And if some tyrant will come up with the worst way of torture in existence of course I would do everything to avoid it.
I don't even get how stuff burns in a metaphysical world.

Doesn't have to be stuff. Imagine brain in a jar connected to a torture machine which sends signals to the brain.
If there is somebody who can manage to keep mind separate from the body I think he can figure out how to torture it.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
10-03-2014, 01:53 AM
(10-03-2014 01:50 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 01:49 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I don't even get how stuff burns in a metaphysical world.

Doesn't have to be stuff. Imagine brain in a jar connected to a torture machine which sends signals to the brain.
If there is somebody who can manage to keep mind separate from the body I think he can figure out how to torture it.

However that wouldn't last an eternity. The brain would eventually build up a natural tolerance.

10-03-2014, 01:56 AM
(10-03-2014 01:53 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 01:50 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Doesn't have to be stuff. Imagine brain in a jar connected to a torture machine which sends signals to the brain.

However that wouldn't last an eternity. The brain would eventually build up a natural tolerance.

http://youtu.be/LVgUCUPGDpo?t=1h30m57s
10-03-2014, 01:59 AM
But you know what there can be one reason why I would go to hell. If people I respect are gonna go there to. I simply will hate the thought that they will suffer so I guess I'm on for a ride as well. Can't be a slave of somebody who will torture good people forever.
10-03-2014, 02:12 AM
I disagree.

There would be an additional requirement.

Not just that God existed (in such-and-such interpretation/form), but that I KNEW God existed. Because really, if the Old Bloke's up there (... not really sure which stellar direction is up, but oh well), I'd still have to know it to do anything about it.

Which leaves me with my current strategy: Demand evidence.

Once the question of existence was established, we'd get into tricking questions of whether it was worth of worship. That would have me demanding more evidence as to this deity's actual nature and history. I mean, hey, even if this sort of God existed, that doesn't automatically mean the Biblical genocides are true, right? If I'm not going to condemn gays based on Scripture, then I'm not going to condemn some deity on that basis either, not unless it turns out that what Scripture has to say on the subject is actually true.

So, bottom line? No change in my behavior at all.
10-03-2014, 02:12 AM
(10-03-2014 01:56 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 01:53 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  However that wouldn't last an eternity. The brain would eventually build up a natural tolerance.

http://youtu.be/LVgUCUPGDpo?t=1h30m57s

It takes more than one and one half hours to build up a tolerance to something.
Like the new treatment for peanut allergies.
They expose the patients to peanuts over a long period of time until their system builds a tolerance.

10-03-2014, 02:13 AM
(10-03-2014 02:12 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  I disagree.

There would be an additional requirement.

Not just that God existed (in such-and-such interpretation/form), but that I KNEW God existed. Because really, if the Old Bloke's up there (... not really sure which stellar direction is up, but oh well), I'd still have to know it to do anything about it.

Which leaves me with my current strategy: Demand evidence.

Once the question of existence was established, we'd get into tricking questions of whether it was worth of worship. That would have me demanding more evidence as to this deity's actual nature and history. I mean, hey, even if this sort of God existed, that doesn't automatically mean the Biblical genocides are true, right? If I'm not going to condemn gays based on Scripture, then I'm not going to condemn some deity on that basis either, not unless it turns out that what Scripture has to say on the subject is actually true.

So, bottom line? No change in my behavior at all.

What would you choose between eternal worship or eternal torture?
10-03-2014, 02:27 AM
(10-03-2014 01:26 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  So I guess what I'm asking is if God did exist and scripture was true, whether or not you would submit.
You've avoided one main question in your assessment my dear.. exactly WHICH GOD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT AND WHY?
[Image: 0.jpg]

Its simply arrogant of you to dismiss all the OTHER GODS so please tell me why i should choose your specific God instead of thousands of other Gods?

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 4 users Like IndianAtheist's post