If god did in fact exist, would you submit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 07:23 AM
RE: If god did in fact exist, would you submit?
"If god did in fact exist" (?) "would you submit?" (hypothetical question)

(hypothetical answer) > NO

Got any other make believe games we can play? Dodgy

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like War Horse's post
10-03-2014, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 07:41 AM by Bucky Ball.)
WTF is this "religious scripture" you speak of. Oh, of course you mean YOUR "scripture" ?
Again you demonstrate your utter ignorance of the topic you pretend to want to discuss.

1. Timothy wrote (BEFORE the NT was even established as the canon ... "canon" is a big word, dear, for educated people that means the "list" of books in a "set", (ie the Bible) :
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16
--- therefore he obviously meant ALL "religious writings". So again, define "scripture", and tell us how exactly YOU decided what was "scripture", and why should we think that "scripture" should be that which was non-unanimous VOTED by the councils, after hundreds of years of HUMAN arguments, into the canon, and why YOUR definition is better than Timothy's.
2. Your assumption that "scripture", (which clearly YOu have never studied) says there is a heaven, is false. The Hebrews did not believe in heaven and hell. Jesus was a Jew. You would be hard-put to prove (if he even existed), that he did. Sheol was not hell. Hebrews (in scripture) did not believe in immortality, nor did they believe in heaven, or even that all "divine beings" lived in a heaven, (or the place Yahweh lived).

Psalm 39 :
"Turn your gaze away from me, that I may smile again,
before I depart, and am no more"
Psalm 115 :
The dead do not praise the Lord,
nor do any that go down into silence".

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look

When Eusibeus cut down the number of gospels to 4, he said he (and the Roman emperor) were doing so, because "there are 4 winds, and 4 pillars upon which the Earth stands". You actually think THAT shit is a good reason to define what is or is not a "gospel", or to base one's life around ?

When self admitted liars write something, I take it for what it's worth. Nothing.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rch?page=2

Maybe before you come here and ask idiotic questions, you might think about getting an education.
And last but not least, define what a "god" is. Until, and unless you do, your question is like asking :
"What if a makluaysudfgfy^65tshuionsfffgedf turned out to be true".
(You cannot coherently define the word "god", nor can you explain in coherent terms what it means for it to "exist" or "create".)

Why would a deity want "submission" ? Submission to what ? What an infantile notion of religion. Even religious scholars would laugh at that (submission) crap.
Why wouldn't a ("loving") deity want "be the best that you can be" ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-03-2014, 07:31 AM
(10-03-2014 01:26 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  In a debate with William Lane Craig, Sam Harris said that if God did exist, and religious scripture was true, then he would want to do anything he could to secure his place in heaven.

Do you agree with him?

I don't think someone like Christopher Hitchens would agree, as he was a passionate anti-theist that seemed to not want to go down without a fight.

So I guess what I'm asking is if God did exist and scripture was true, whether or not you would submit.

Odin seems like a pretty bad ass dude. I guess I could hang with him for a while.
[+] 2 users Like meremortal's post
10-03-2014, 07:42 AM
(10-03-2014 07:31 AM)meremortal Wrote:  Odin seems like a pretty bad ass dude. I guess I could hang with him for a while.

^^^^^ just what I was thinking....... and it would seem that Valhalla would be a cool place to hang out. Cool

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 5 users Like War Horse's post
10-03-2014, 07:44 AM
(10-03-2014 01:26 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  In a debate with William Lane Craig, Sam Harris said that if God did exist, and religious scripture was true, then he would want to do anything he could to secure his place in heaven.

Reference, link, citation needed. Thanks.

(10-03-2014 01:40 AM)Charis Wrote:  The book Tactics by Gregory Koukl (popular book in Christian apologetics circles) outlines various debating strategies for Christians debating Atheists and others. The biggest strategy? Initiate with QUESTIONS. Make no claims yourself, so as to not appear to be going on the offensive. Get the other side to answer your questions, which usually involves them making a claim (remember, you're only here asking questions, right?). Once the other side has made a claim, make them back it up. Stay in control of the situation with questions, being very careful not to appear to be going on the offensive.

In the context of a discussion on a forum, I have no problem at all with this.

Claims should be supported.

This is critical thinking and helps both sides and keeps us honest.

In a formal debate, both sides can use the technique.

Is it not just a form of the Socratic method?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-03-2014, 07:50 AM
(10-03-2014 02:13 AM)donotwant Wrote:  eternal worship = eternal torture

That's better. Tongue

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
10-03-2014, 07:53 AM
(10-03-2014 07:44 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Reference, link, citation needed. Thanks.

(10-03-2014 01:40 AM)Charis Wrote:  The book Tactics by Gregory Koukl (popular book in Christian apologetics circles) outlines various debating strategies for Christians debating Atheists and others. The biggest strategy? Initiate with QUESTIONS. Make no claims yourself, so as to not appear to be going on the offensive. Get the other side to answer your questions, which usually involves them making a claim (remember, you're only here asking questions, right?). Once the other side has made a claim, make them back it up. Stay in control of the situation with questions, being very careful not to appear to be going on the offensive.

In the context of a discussion on a forum, I have no problem at all with this.

Claims should be supported.

This is critical thinking and helps both sides and keeps us honest.

In a formal debate, both sides can use the technique.

Is it not just a form of the Socratic method?

Maybe. SO far all her questions demonstrate her utter ignorance, and lack of education of even the basics of the things she is asking about. There are answers to all these (1st Grade) "questions". It's like she's a Freshman at Biola Crap College or Liberty University, and just discovered Apologetics, or something.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-03-2014, 07:59 AM
(10-03-2014 07:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ....
Maybe. SO far all her questions demonstrate her utter ignorance, and lack of education of even the basics of the things she is asking about. There are answers to all these (1st Grade) "questions". It's like she's a Freshman at Biola Crap College or Liberty University, and just discovered Apologetics, or something.

And since when is ignorance a crime?

How often does one get to edumacate a Biola freshman?

Is this not a great learning opportunity for the casual (guest) observer and also a chance for the recently deconverted to practice their skills / consolidate or question their position in a safe environment?

Yes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-03-2014, 07:59 AM

Do you agree with him?

I don't think someone like Christopher Hitchens would agree, as he was a passionate anti-theist that seemed to not want to go down without a fight.

So I guess what I'm asking is if God did exist and scripture was true, whether or not you would submit.

Depends on the God.
Butthe Judeo-Christian one? I'd probably try to make pact with the Judeo-Christian devil to be a demon. Sounds a lot more fun Evil_monster

Atir aissom atir imon
10-03-2014, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 08:07 AM by Im_Ryan.)
(10-03-2014 07:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 07:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ....

And since when is ignorance a crime?

How often does one get to edumacate a Biola freshman?

Is this not a great learning opportunity for the casual (guest) observer and also a chance for the recently deconverted to practice their skills in a safe environment?

Yes

A Biola freshman?? Where?? I live in the same neighborhood! Gasp
What was up with those church goers who made fun of that kids mom who attempted to commit suicide? That was fucked up Angry
You don't tell him his mom is the to hell for that, my family was the only one who didn't fuck with them. So much for Christian hospitality Dodgy

Atir aissom atir imon