If god did in fact exist, would you submit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 11:13 AM
RE: If god did in fact exist, would you submit?
(10-03-2014 02:13 AM)donotwant Wrote:  What would you choose between eternal worship or eternal torture?

I'd need the nature of that "choice" expanded on.

How genuine would that worship have to be? Would it involve just going through the motions "under the gun", so to speak, or would it need to be truly heartfelt? In the former case, yeah, I'd probably do it, but I'd hold that it was no more binding or reflective of my own integrity than, say, a contract signed under duress. In the latter case, if a genuine emotion is required, is that something that I'd really have a conscious choice on? Because subconsciously, when someone presents the threat of horrific pain to compel obedience, my emotional response is not to love the guy with all my being. Maybe I'm just weird that way.

... I suppose that emotional response might be different if I'd been brainwashed from childhood by a cult to respond in a different manner. You know, something freaky involving unison chanting, ritualistic blood-drinking, and the repeated mantra that we're the only good people in the universe.

Also, exactly how much would that worship be like torture? 'cause some of the description of heaven sounds kinda awful.

(10-03-2014 02:46 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  Choose your poison.

Oh, okay! Yes, I would worship His Noodly Goodness.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
10-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Ladies.... the safe word is... "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" Yes

Say it loud and clear so theres no mistake in what I hear. Angel

Big Grin Evil_monster

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 4 users Like War Horse's post
10-03-2014, 11:15 AM
(10-03-2014 01:26 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  In a debate with William Lane Craig, Sam Harris said that if God did exist, and religious scripture was true, then he would want to do anything he could to secure his place in heaven.

Do you agree with him?

I don't think someone like Christopher Hitchens would agree, as he was a passionate anti-theist that seemed to not want to go down without a fight.

So I guess what I'm asking is if God did exist and scripture was true, whether or not you would submit.
In light of the observable universe, it seems that an all-loving, omnipotent, omniscient god is a logical impossibility. Therefore, if "god" did exist, it wouldn't be "god" at all, but merely a being who is far more powerful than I. That being, in light of the observable universe again, would likely be evil. So really my choices would be between hell and hell. There is no heaven. However, your question really then is would I try to remain with the "god" or would I not care and risk going to a place of endless burning. There wouldn't be any guaranty of not ending up in the fire anyway even if I first remained with the "god". Surely such a being would cast me into the eternal roast at the first sign of me getting tired on my knees. Regardless, even if I eternally tolerated the fatigue, it would still be hell anyway. No I don't think I would be kissing its evil ass. Relinquishing my own morality would only be one more thing making hell in "heaven" that much worse. I'd take the flames. I'd get physical pain either way, but at least my mind and conscience would be at peace.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
10-03-2014, 12:16 PM
If scripture was true... No.

The Bible paints God as being evil, cruel and sadistic... I don't want to be associated with anyone or anything like that. Regardless of the consequences.

If God turned out to be genuinely benevolent and loving then I sincerely doubt he'd want "submission"... But I'd happily align myself with him.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2014, 12:24 PM
I actually talked about this with my friend the other day. I was just throwing around the idea that if God and the Bible were real, how do we know that God told the truth in the Bible? I think most of us agree that Satan sounds a lot less evil than God, so what if Hell is a lie God made up just so that we wouldn't choose the side of Satan. Kind of like the mean girl in high school spreading lies and rumors about the nice girl so that people won't hang out with her. So if this was true, I would choose Hell for sure. Just an interesting thought to entertain.
10-03-2014, 12:57 PM
>deleted by me<
10-03-2014, 02:29 PM
"If god did in fact exist, would you submit?"

"Your Judgement Day Strategy"

This can't escape you all.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
10-03-2014, 02:35 PM
(10-03-2014 01:26 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  In a debate with William Lane Craig, Sam Harris said that if God did exist, and religious scripture was true, then he would want to do anything he could to secure his place in heaven.

Do you agree with him?

I don't think someone like Christopher Hitchens would agree, as he was a passionate anti-theist that seemed to not want to go down without a fight.

So I guess what I'm asking is if God did exist and scripture was true, whether or not you would submit.

yup, if god appeared in front of me and said I AM GOD FOOLISH ONE, BOW TO ME, I would most likely bow while swearing under my breath of what a fool I was not to believe in all that made up BS....I wont hold my breath though Laughat

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
10-03-2014, 02:43 PM
(10-03-2014 02:29 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  "If god did in fact exist, would you submit?"

"Your Judgement Day Strategy"

This can't escape you all.

Nope...like I said before 'hypothetical'

Like what would I do if the guys from Led Zepplin showed up at my house and asked me to go party with them... its pure fantasy and conjecture. Dodgy

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
10-03-2014, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 02:57 PM by Elder Cunningham.)
(10-03-2014 11:14 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Ladies.... the safe word is... "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" Yes

Say it loud and clear so theres no mistake in what I hear. Angel

Big Grin Evil_monster

On the importance of simple safe words (warning - boobies and man bottom for those scared by such things):

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post