If he beats you it means he loves you - Russia take on domestic violence.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2017, 06:36 AM
If he beats you it means he loves you - Russia take on domestic violence.
Russian parliament voted on decriminalizing domestic violence when it does not cause substantial harm and does not occur more frequent than once a year. New punishment will be about $500 fine or arrest for 15 days.

More info could be found here:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/.../97129912/
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-38767873

Wonder if Poland glorious leader won't try to copy big bear solution. Maybe this time gov rusophobia will work in favor of country citizens? Though Poland gov already is thinking about backing of from Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2017, 06:56 AM
RE: If he beats you it means he loves you - Russia take on domestic violence.
Alright I'm gonna play devils advocate here because I actually think this is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm very very much anti-violence, especially domestic violence.
BUT. a) I know what everyone's thinking, you have this mental image of a husband beating up his wife. BUT this law is unisex and in 40% of domestic violence cases the male is the victim. b) It's only in regards to extremely minor "domestic violence" that doesn't leave a mark and only occurs once a year. And c) They're just decriminalising it. It's still illegal and you still face the consequences (in this case a fine or jail), only now you're not fucked from ever getting a job or entering another country because you have a criminal record.

I think this has got to be the clickbaitest news article I've seen in ages and everyone is overreacting like crazy.

[Image: oscar.png]
30-01-2017, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2017 07:17 AM by Szuchow.)
(30-01-2017 06:56 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Alright I'm gonna play devils advocate here because I actually think this is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm very very much anti-violence, especially domestic violence.
BUT. a) I know what everyone's thinking, you have this mental image of a husband beating up his wife. BUT this law is unisex and in 40% of domestic violence cases the male is the victim. b) It's only in regards to extremely minor "domestic violence" that doesn't leave a mark and only occurs once a year. And c) They're just decriminalising it. It's still illegal and you still face the consequences (in this case a fine or jail), only now you're not fucked from ever getting a job or entering another country because you have a criminal record.

I think this has got to be the clickbaitest news article I've seen in ages and everyone is overreacting like crazy.

I know that there still are consequences but if Russian police didn't care much about violence then with this law they won't start to care more - it's like a licence to hit family member once a year (exaggeration I know). From my pov this law trivializes domestic violence and maybe even could be used to let offender easy thanks to suspicious wording. Law isn't only about it content public reaction matters too - law stating that "minor" violence isn't so bad to warrant prison isn't the message that gov should be sending.

I'm also not convinced by your extremely minor take as one article mentions that law is about violence that does not result insubstantial bodily harm and second mentions that it isn't about serious injury - it's ambiguous enough to be concerned I would say.

All in all it's pretty big change - previous sentence was up to 2 years now it is 15 days max. Article may be clickbaity but I would not say that this is a good change.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
30-01-2017, 07:46 AM
No wonder we keep getting those "Russian Women want to marry American men" spams......

We look good by comparison.

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.