If he exists, God is not someone I want to follow

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2013, 07:57 PM
RE: If he exists, God is not someone I want to follow
God is like a high school bully - like that jock you couldn't stand. He's all popular, and everyone follows his rules and worships the ground he walks on. They'll stand by him even when he's the aggressor, because they want to "fit in". And even just the simple act of not agreeing with him earns you a lifetime of pain.

Thankfully, he doesn't exist.Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2013, 08:09 PM
If I met Ishtar, I'd follow her. At least for a few blocks. Blush

[Image: BurneyRelief.Med.jpg]

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
12-09-2013, 08:29 PM
(12-09-2013 08:09 PM)I Am Wrote:  If I met Ishtar, I'd follow her. At least for a few blocks. Blush

[Image: BurneyRelief.Med.jpg]

She's way out of your league dude.

[Image: giphy.gif]
12-09-2013, 08:32 PM
(12-09-2013 08:29 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 08:09 PM)I Am Wrote:  If I met Ishtar, I'd follow her. At least for a few blocks. Blush

She's way out of your league dude.

I bathe more often than Enkidu did. You're probably right though. *sigh*

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
13-09-2013, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2013 12:20 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(12-09-2013 07:53 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 12:04 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  So does it matter if he exists if he such a horrendous deity. Forget that, "God changed" crap, because I do not care if a serial killer has changed - he is still a serial killer at his core. And if you don't think the God of the bible is a serial killer, than you haven't read it!

Suppose, somehow it was made known to you....with absolute certainty.... that the Christian God exists. If that knowledge had no effect on your behavior, then you are either a very good Christian or an idiot. So yes, it does matter if God exists....even if He is "such a horrendous deity".

This is what we're at? It would have an affect on behavior, because at that point I would actually have something real and tangible to hate instead of an empty nonsensical concept to just doubt. Of course even if the Christian god did exists, by the rules of logic, it would not exist as described in the Bible.

Also you're basically implying that if the existence of a cosmic tyrant is shown to be real, we should all bow the knee simply because that tyrant actually exists? FUCK THAT! I'd rather go into oblivion with my head held high while giving that tyrant the 1-finger salute.

[Image: comics-SMBC-religion-god-284334.jpeg]

The Christian god, even if it existed, simply isn't worthy of adoration, praise, love, or submission.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
13-09-2013, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2013 06:02 AM by Cathym112.)
(12-09-2013 07:53 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 12:04 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  So does it matter if he exists if he such a horrendous deity. Forget that, "God changed" crap, because I do not care if a serial killer has changed - he is still a serial killer at his core. And if you don't think the God of the bible is a serial killer, than you haven't read it!

Suppose, somehow it was made known to you....with absolute certainty.... that the Christian God exists. If that knowledge had no effect on your behavior, then you are either a very good Christian or an idiot. So yes, it does matter if God exists....even if He is "such a horrendous deity".

I told you in the first sentence that I am not a Christian. I am an Atheist. So God's existence doesn't alter my behavior at all. Why does that make me an idiot? I don't follow.

My point was that I have trouble relating to and communicating with people who are outwardly religious. So to make peace with that, I stopped fighting them on the question that I don't even think God exists, but I conceded that - for their sake and for the sake of furthering the conversation - that is not a loving, caring, deity. He is a deity that has abandoned you, me, and everyone. Unlike a battered spouse, I would never go back to him.

If we, as humans, can think of 10 better designs to life (such as the elimination of needless suffering), then I have the right to declare God incompetent. In fact - ill give you a solution right now! If death (through starvation, cancer, horrendous illness) needs to occur to prevent overpopulation, a simple snap of the fingers could instantly, painlessly, with compassion and dignity, cause them to immediately drop dead. No need for the guttural last breathes as an individual slowly drowns in their own fluid while they expire from cancer. There is no need for that. Or better yet, make more of the population infertile AND without the desire to reproduce so there is no suffering.

We are all God's puppets, right? We are the ants in the hill under which he hovers his magnifying glass. He needs a good spanking for the way he has treated his toys.I hold God accountable for the mass genocide, mass murder, and massive suffering he has caused by standing passive.

We have held people accountable for walking by someone that was dying. Why does God get a pass? Because these are his rules, his game? Not good enough and you are making excuses for why your "God" hit and abused you. If anything, God should be held to a HIGHER STANDARD because he is the parent! I'm just a human.

And to clarify - I luckily have never had a tragedy befall me. I have known pain, but not on any compatible scale to others. So I have no "anger" at God. I am, however, capable of emathy. I feel sad when others are sad. I feel pain when others feel pain.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 6 users Like Cathym112's post
13-09-2013, 07:15 AM
(13-09-2013 05:57 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  We are all God's puppets, right? We are the ants in the hill under which he hovers his magnifying glass. He needs a good spanking for the way he has treated his toys.I hold God accountable for the mass genocide, mass murder, and massive suffering he has caused by standing passive.

This right here. It is ironic on a scale that is almost physically painful that most of those professing belief in the theistic god, a being that can read thoughts and hold us accountable for doubting it's existence; they cannot fathom that same god interfering in the world to prevent suffering while still allowing their vaunted and cherished 'freewill'. If their god will punish us for all eternity for thought-crime, then why doesn't he stop a rape or a killing right before it happens and simply punish the perpetrator? Their thoughts already condemn them, right? The rapist who is just about to commit rape, knows what he is about to do, so wouldn't that condemn him enough to warrant immediate intervention from an all-powerful and caring god, without violating the rapist's 'freewill'? Wouldn't it be enough for god to restrain their actions without restraining their thoughts? If you consider being restrained from doing what you desire as an infringement of 'freewill', then isn't god violating our 'freewill' but not allowing those who want to fly the ability to overcome gravity? Isn't he violating our 'freewill' by punishing us for the wrong beliefs? And what of the 'freewill' of the victim? Do they have no say in the matter that is worthy of the intervention of an all-powerful and caring god?

This is one of the many reasons I despise religion, it can so easily turn the thoughts of a relatively intelligent and sane person completely inside out and backwards. Religion reverses everything, it's a bubble of thought that requires defense of the indefensible, and acceptance of the unacceptable; and most egregiously this must all be taken on faith, even if they are fooled into thinking they have reason and evidence on their side. "Religion poisons everything", as the late great Christopher Hitchens so aptly put it.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
14-09-2013, 06:36 AM
I am of two minds on this. I came to terms with my Atheism a long time ago so to talk about how unworthy of worship God might be is psychologically equivalant to discussing the anger and travesty of that damn cheap-skate of a tooth fairy that only left a nickle for my molar. Not only is it difficult to muster much conviction, to try to is absurdly entertaining.

That said, I think it is an incredibly powerful tool to demonstrate the internal inconsistancy in stock Christian arguments. You have a deity tht claims to be the very embodiment of love and joy and peace acting like Darth Vader with gout. It undermines everything that is claimed about the nature of God.
[+] 2 users Like BradleyPride's post
14-09-2013, 06:50 AM
(12-09-2013 07:57 PM)SeventhSon Wrote:  God is like a high school bully - like that jock you couldn't stand. He's all popular, and everyone follows his rules and worships the ground he walks on. They'll stand by him even when he's the aggressor, because they want to "fit in". And even just the simple act of not agreeing with him earns you a lifetime of pain.

Thankfully, he doesn't exist.Big Grin

No wonder god never stuck with me; I've always been the quite reclusive kid, with a few of the weird kids as friends whom would actively and obviously avoid others in the school yard.

Guess I was successful at being below god's radar then. All knowing my arse!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
14-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Well, the god the Bible most certainly does not exist, so it's all good. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user