If he exists, God is not someone I want to follow

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2013, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2013 01:19 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
RE: If he exists, God is not someone I want to follow
(13-09-2013 05:57 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 07:53 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Suppose, somehow it was made known to you....with absolute certainty.... that the Christian God exists. If that knowledge had no effect on your behavior, then you are either a very good Christian or an idiot. So yes, it does matter if God exists....even if He is "such a horrendous deity".

I told you in the first sentence that I am not a Christian. I am an Atheist. So God's existence doesn't alter my behavior at all. Why does that make me an idiot? I don't follow.

I didn't say you were an idiot. I said you would be an idiot if it was somehow made known to you with absolute certainty that the Christian God exists and it didn't alter your behavior. Why? Because in such a situation it would be better to become a good Christian rather then spend an eternity in Hell. Is it really that important to you, to spend an eternity in hell just to spite a god you don't like?

I think in the end, if you became reasonably certain that the Christian God exists, you'd be down on your knees praying. So no I don't think you're an idiot. I do think your talking shit though....It does matter if God exists, even if God is a "horrendous deity".

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2013, 02:04 PM
(14-09-2013 01:16 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I didn't say you were an idiot. I said you would be an idiot if it was somehow made known to you with absolute certainty that the Christian God exists and it didn't alter your behavior. Why? Because in such a situation it would be better to become a good Christian rather then spend an eternity in Hell. Is it really that important to you, to spend an eternity in hell just to spite a god you don't like?

I think in the end, if you became reasonably certain that the Christian God exists, you'd be down on your knees praying. So no I don't think you're an idiot. I do think your talking shit though....It does matter if God exists, even if God is a "horrendous deity".

Knowing for certain that a christian god existed would definitely alter my behavior, but it would not necessarily mean I would become a christian.

What if you were an allied soldier in world war II and you somehow knew that Hitler was certainly going to win the war and take over the world? Would you suddenly just join the SS? Or would you become even more hard-headed and join the resistance? Or would you just surrender and die?

What if christians discovered for certain that there was no god? Do you think they would just stop praying?

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Captain Jean Luc Picard

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean Luc Picard
15-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Interesting. Your screenname is Hey would you blow me, and yet you think I'm talking shit?

I would not alter my behavior and that doesn't make me an idiot. I wouldnt bow to a man that was about to kill and torture me. I'd spit in his face and go down swinging than surrender to a tyrant like some kind of pussy.

If it was proven to me, beyond any doubt, that the Christian God exists, I would attempt to hold a court to indict him! Maybe Satan would help me?
[+] 3 users Like Cathym112's post
15-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Besides, does being in a place with someone you hate, forced to praise and bow to him on a daily basis strike you as heaven? Nope. That strikes me as Hell.

BTW - your Christian God seems to have an awful lot of human characteristics, such as pettiness. Doesn't that further my argument that we created God in our image and not the other way around?
15-09-2013, 03:00 PM
"BTW - your Christian God seems to have an awful lot of human characteristics, such as pettiness. Doesn't that further my argument that we created God in our image and not the other way around?"

Yup! We created him, dude! And we created the bible too! Since we created it all, I feel that it should be O.K. for us to update both god and the bible. So, I'm taking the first step and look forward to contributions from others!

This is from Ameron1:

"Thou shalt spread thy legs before Ameron1, lest kooties fly up thy nostrils and choke thee, (most mercifully and for thy own good).

Praise be to me and $19.95 to my ministry will get you a ticket to an invisible hole in the sky!

"And those who contribute not to this thread, for my amusement, shall grow testicals upon the lobes of thy ears! Like this afternoon!"

Praise be to me!

Praise be to another beer!
17-09-2013, 04:07 AM
(15-09-2013 01:49 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Interesting. Your screenname is Hey would you blow me, and yet you think I'm talking shit?

I would not alter my behavior and that doesn't make me an idiot. I wouldnt bow to a man that was about to kill and torture me. I'd spit in his face and go down swinging than surrender to a tyrant like some kind of pussy.

If bowing down is the only way to prevent being tortured and killed, then you should bow down. If you wouldn't(I think your probably would in a real life situation) then you are an idiot.

With God the mistake of be defiant in magnified infinitely because in the scenario where you are killed, you suffering ends. With God, your suffering may never end. It can continue on and on and on and on and on.....long after everyone has forgotten your "martyrdom".

No one might ever even know you stood up to a tyrant god....including yourself. An omnipotent god could give you amnesia and you would be tortured for eternity not even knowing why. Sometimes...being the tough guy.....is outright stupid. This is one of those times.

17-09-2013, 04:57 AM
(17-09-2013 04:07 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-09-2013 01:49 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Interesting. Your screenname is Hey would you blow me, and yet you think I'm talking shit?

If bowing down is the only way to prevent being tortured and killed, then you should bow down. If you wouldn't(I think your probably would in a real life situation) then you are an idiot.

With God the mistake of be defiant in magnified infinitely because in the scenario where you are killed, you suffering ends. With God, your suffering may never end. It can continue on and on and on and on and on.....long after everyone has forgotten your "martyrdom".

No one might ever even know you stood up to a tyrant god....including yourself. An omnipotent god could give you amnesia and you would be tortured for eternity not even knowing why. Sometimes...being the tough guy.....is outright stupid. This is one of those times.

All I am getting is from that is confirmation that god is the most evil creature in all of fiction and if it exists in reality as you describe, it's the most evil thing in probably all possible universes and timelines, so despicable as to be morally below even the most monstrous of human beings.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
17-09-2013, 05:30 AM
Re: RE: If he exists, God is not someone I want to follow
(17-09-2013 04:07 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Might makes right then? Obey the tyrant and what's the harm... that's how you decide what is smart or accurate? Frightening.

Oh and I actually follow God, quite a funny follow on the tweeterverse.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
17-09-2013, 01:33 PM
(17-09-2013 05:30 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Might makes right then? Obey the tyrant and what's the harm... that's how you decide what is smart or accurate? Frightening.

Its not about right or wrong. Its about being smart or stupid. Its stupid to go to hell just to make a point.

17-09-2013, 01:38 PM
(17-09-2013 04:57 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  All I am getting is from that is confirmation that god is the most evil creature in all of fiction and if it exists in reality as you describe, it's the most evil thing in probably all possible universes and timelines, so despicable as to be morally below even the most monstrous of human beings.

Suppose that were true, it would still be stupid to behave in a manner that lands you in hell.