If he exists, God is not someone I want to follow

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2013, 06:45 PM
RE: If he exists, God is not someone I want to follow
(19-09-2013 06:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Subtle, isn't he? Dodgy

And gawd said, all those that don't buy into this bullshit story shall be called stupid by those that do. Hobo

You didn't read this thread did you? I never called her stupid for not buying into "this bullshit story". I criticized her for the actions she claims she would take if said "bullshit story" were true. Please stay focused be criticize me for positions I have actually taken in this thread, not position you make up and then ascribe to me just so you can take a pot shot.

The reason my interaction with this thread continues is because Cathym continues to make points that need to be addressed. For instance the point she brought up that fighting back is sometimes the right move...or that living in constant fear is itself bad. None of those considerations really apply to the hypothetical situation we are talking about...as I have shown. They certain do not swing her decision from being unwise to wise.

Insults From Thinkingatheists forgiven 149
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Neither you or your gawd set the rules for me...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
19-09-2013, 07:06 PM
(19-09-2013 06:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Neither you or your gawd set the rules for me...

I'm not setting any rules for you. I am asking you to be a good poster.

20-09-2013, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2013 06:01 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(19-09-2013 07:16 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The difference between God and a rapist, is with the rapist you have and opportunity to fight back. With God submission is the only option. If you fail to take that option you are a moron. With God there is no going down swinging.

Depends on the god, not all god concepts are invincible immortals.

[Image: thor-funny.jpg]

^^^ Not immortal.

(19-09-2013 07:16 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Also, the God I believe in is irrelevant to the discussion. I am assuming for the sake of this argument that God is as evil as you claim Him to be. Why am I making this assumption? Why not, because this isn't a discussion about whether or not God is good or evil. This is a discussion about being smart or being an idiot. Challenging the biblical God would be the height of stupidity.

Depends, are we challenging Yahweh or that abomination of nonsense that is the trinity of the New Testament? Because you are saying 'my particular god is irrelevant to this discussion' then continue to argue that it's stupid to oppose god because of the attributes of your particular god; it is entirely relevant. Like I said already, not all gods are invincible immortals. Considering that the OP did say 'God' with a capitol G, that's why most of us have been going after the traditional god of monotheism.

How about instead of shifting the goal post, you define specifically what 'god' you are saying that it would be stupid for us to oppose? Which 'god' exactly are you trying to defend here?

[Image: the-avengers-loki.jpg]

^^^ Sort of an asshole, also not immortal.

(19-09-2013 07:16 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I understand what you are doing. You are trying to make a point that the biblical God is evil. I don't have a problem with you trying to make that point.

Hell, infinite punishment for finite crimes. It's not a point that needs to be made, it already has been made. End of discussion.

(19-09-2013 07:16 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I just think your belief that challenging such a God is going to come to any benefit is retarded and doesn't make a compelling argument whatsoever.

You are defending a vague and muddy definition of 'god'. Please define specifically what you are attempting to defend, as per above.

(19-09-2013 07:16 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  "I think God is so evil I would go to Hell just to prove how strong I feel". Well, I'm sorry but proving how strong you feel doesn't make for a compelling argument.

Neither has anything you've posted thus far... Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-09-2013, 06:29 AM
(18-09-2013 12:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(18-09-2013 06:12 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  But to swing things around a little... do you consider it stupid that you are behaving in a way that condemns you to Muslim hell? If not, why not?
No, I don't consider it stupid that I am behaving in way that condemns me to Muslim hell. The reason is because it hasn't been shown to me that with any reasonable certainty that the Muslim god exists.
It's good to know you are an atheist, know what an atheist is, and know what it feels like to be an atheist with respect to at least one religion.

(18-09-2013 12:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If the Muslim god exists, and somehow this was shown to me with reasonable certainty, I start asking which way is Mecca and where can I get a prayer rug.

Let's say it's not the Muslim god then. Let's say that God isn't real and this has all been an invention of Satan whose purpose in creating the universe was to not to have someone to love, but to have something to mess with. Let's say the god that is real is an objectively evil bastard who delights in the suffering of all created beings.

We can look at this two ways:
1. How evil would the god have to be before you actually stopped obeying them and started rebelling?
2. How evil would the god have to be before the thought crossed your mind?

You're arguing that (1) should be "never, assuming a god that is powerful enough to automatically make that a bad idea", but (1) isn't the interesting question. With (1) you are not a moral actor. You are constrained by the rules of the game to play along. The interesting question is (2). How evil would the god you worship have to be before you have that first involuntary flicker, that first uncalled thought, that stray idea that passed through your internal censorship unable to be blinked away quickly enough. A mind reading god might well kill you where you stand at that very moment, but since the thought was involuntary you weren't a moral actor there either.

How evil does the Christian god have to be before that stray thought crosses your mind? How evil does he have to be for you to have that first thought of rejection and rebellion?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
20-09-2013, 06:41 AM
I stand corrected!!!!!

I would bow to God if God was Thor but only if he looked and acted like Chris Hemsworth. Especially if there is any human/God sexual relations that Zeus was such a big fan of.

Chris Hemsworth makes me moist!

20-09-2013, 06:51 AM
"You didn't read this thread did you? I never called her stupid for not buying into "this bullshit story". I criticized her for the actions she claims she would take if said "bullshit story" were true. Please stay focused be criticize me for positions I have actually taken in this thread, not position you make up and then ascribe to me just so you can take a pot shot. "

Pot. Meet Kettle.

I didn't say that you called me stupid. You called my decision stupid. Repeatedly. I get it...you don't agree with my decision to refuse God if he existed and to try to hold court to get an indictment for his crimes as a rebellion. You don't need to call my decision stupid anymore. You have hammered that point that you feel my decision is stupid in 5 or 6 posts now.

Do you have a new point to make regarding the OP, which stated that it doesn't matter if God is real or not, I wouldn't worship him because he is evil and therefore undeserving of worship? If not, then follow your screen name and blow me.
[+] 3 users Like Cathym112's post
20-09-2013, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2013 11:52 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(20-09-2013 06:41 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Chris Hemsworth makes me moist!

[Image: at-first-i-was-like-baby.jpg]

But then I remembered...

[Image: BlackWidow.jpg]

She's a goddess as far as I'm concerned (Suck it HoC! Tongue)

"I don't see how that's a party..." -Black Widow

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
20-09-2013, 02:38 PM
(20-09-2013 06:29 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Let's say it's not the Muslim god then. Let's say that God isn't real and this has all been an invention of Satan whose purpose in creating the universe was to not to have someone to love, but to have something to mess with. Let's say the god that is real is an objectively evil bastard who delights in the suffering of all created beings.

1. How evil would the god have to be before you actually stopped obeying them and started rebelling?

You're arguing that (1) should be "never, assuming a god that is powerful enough to automatically make that a bad idea", but (1) isn't the interesting question. With (1) you are not a moral actor. You are constrained by the rules of the game to play along. The interesting question is (2). How evil would the god you worship have to be before you have that first involuntary flicker, that first uncalled thought, that stray idea that passed through your internal censorship unable to be blinked away quickly enough. A mind reading god might well kill you where you stand at that very moment, but since the thought was involuntary you weren't a moral actor there either.

How evil does the Christian god have to be before that stray thought crosses your mind? How evil does he have to be for you to have that first thought of rejection and rebellion?

If God exists, I would think He is the ultimate decider of what is moral/immoral. I could have an opinion but that's all it would be.

20-09-2013, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2013 02:52 PM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
(20-09-2013 02:38 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(20-09-2013 06:29 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Let's say it's not the Muslim god then. Let's say that God isn't real and this has all been an invention of Satan whose purpose in creating the universe was to not to have someone to love, but to have something to mess with. Let's say the god that is real is an objectively evil bastard who delights in the suffering of all created beings.

If God exists, I would think He is the ultimate decider of what is moral/immoral. I could have an opinion but that's all it would be.

I would expect a deity to have a basic moral compass. The god described in the bible certainly fails that test.Drinking Beverage

I find it immoral to hate people due to sexual orientation etc. If that means offending some conflicted, moronic, petulant, butt hurt god, well, sucks to be me if it exists

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post