If heaven existed...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2013, 06:39 PM
If heaven existed...
I often thought, if so many people believe in heaven, why do they grieve the dead?
Ridiculous part is that I saw comments before on someone questioning why atheists go to funerals (cant remember who posted about it). But really, why do theists care when they or others die? Their going to heaven! Tongue

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Adenosis's post
30-01-2013, 11:05 PM
RE: If heaven existed...
Humans don't like change.

Most people can't move from one town to another never mind one world to a heaven.

[Image: XJlTk.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Stan's post
30-01-2013, 11:49 PM
The notion of heaven is a tool to sooth the self. Likewise, grief for a lost loved one is not for the lost love one... it's for the self. Same goes for funerals.

As for me, I'm that atheist who doesn't attend funerals unless I'm absolutely goaded into them. Fortunately, I'm remarkably bull headed when I don't want to do something so I don't find myself at many of those pity parties.

I expect that there will be a good many people at my funeral, however, because it won't be a funeral at all. I will be in a vase or a plastic bag or whatever the hell my wife wants to put me in and there will be food, alcohol and either a DJ or a live band. Some of the people will be there to celebrate my life and some will be there to celebrate my death. Either way, I just hope they have fun.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-01-2013, 11:51 PM
can I do what I want in heaven? Or so I get to spend eternity kissing god's ass?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
31-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Heaven would probably be something like North Korea, but w/o the starvation... and thinking about that this would last for eternity, you'd rather wish to be mortal.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
31-01-2013, 01:11 AM
(31-01-2013 12:43 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  Heaven would probably be something like North Korea, but w/o the starvation... and thinking about that this would last for eternity, you'd rather wish to be mortal.

[Image: Im-going-to-hell.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-01-2013, 01:13 AM
And if Kim Jong Un accepts Jeeeezuuuus on his death bed, then heaven is really fucked! Tongue A true hell in heaven.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
31-01-2013, 01:23 AM
(31-01-2013 12:43 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  Heaven would probably be something like North Korea, but w/o the starvation... and thinking about that this would last for eternity, you'd rather wish to be mortal.

Hold on..

Are you saying that in heaven, most of the adults of whatever religion is right will FINALLY have high adult literacy rates?!?

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
31-01-2013, 01:34 AM
huh? I don't get your question.

31-01-2013, 01:38 AM
(31-01-2013 01:34 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  huh? I don't get your question.

Deep in my brain, I saw that coming.

Highly religious nations tend to have fairly low adult literacy rates, assuming my memory serves me correctly of course.

North Korea has one single claim of pride in it's entire history: It has one of the highest adult literacy rates in the world.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.