If heaven existed...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2013, 05:57 PM
RE: If heaven existed...
(30-01-2013 11:49 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  The notion of heaven is a tool to sooth the self. Likewise, grief for a lost loved one is not for the lost love one... it's for the self. Same goes for funerals.

As for me, I'm that atheist who doesn't attend funerals unless I'm absolutely goaded into them. Fortunately, I'm remarkably bull headed when I don't want to do something so I don't find myself at many of those pity parties.

I expect that there will be a good many people at my funeral, however, because it won't be a funeral at all. I will be in a vase or a plastic bag or whatever the hell my wife wants to put me in and there will be food, alcohol and either a DJ or a live band. Some of the people will be there to celebrate my life and some will be there to celebrate my death. Either way, I just hope they have fun.

An ongoing Heaven, annoying rellies and all, has heaps of ridiculous ramifications.

As for the solace of heaven to appease the weary soul, there are also promises of eternal Hell Fire. Evil_monster

The egocentric self assured can only see Paradise.

mini banned but not browned off-----------Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2013, 06:00 PM
(05-02-2013 05:57 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  The egocentric self assured can only see Paradise.
Very well put. Thumbsup

I have yet to meet a religious spiritual person who believed that he would end up in Hell. Also, it's always possible to make up a new denomination if you don't want to fulfill the conditions for entering Heaven that are being presented by the existing branches of one's religion.
05-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Wish I could remember where the hell I read or heard the following: part of the joy of going to heaven is the ability to look upon those in hell and what? rejoice, throw ice cubes at them?
That's fucked up.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
05-02-2013, 07:02 PM
It is a natural human reaction to mourn the loss of a loved one. I actually think that this is something that has nothing to do with religion. Rather, it is a fundamental human construct. It is what makes us "real" and "conscious", the act of compassion and the display of affection we show towards another fellow human being. Whether god exists or not, whether heaven and hell exists or not, to lose someone dear to you will undoubtedly be a tragedy.

Regards,
Lucius

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
05-02-2013, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 09:05 PM by fstratzero.)
I used to hear descriptions of heaven being a place where all needs and desires would be met, all things known, and I'd have my own little place to exist in.

My problem with this description is that imperfections is what fuels my life. My lack of knowledge, my need to eat, and my wants, all frame the way in which I choose to live out my life. If I were perfect my existence would be worthless. I'd simply exist in such a state that would never change. It would be a strange torture to be kept alive only to do nothing forever.

Another description I had was that in death every desire would be stripped away from you, and you'd exist merely to worship god forever.

This description is more insane than the first. The last thing I'd ever want is to be turned into a worship machine for some being who has an infinite self hatred. So infinite is this self hatred that he'd need x number of people to offer x infinite worship. I think it stands to reason why this second description of heaven is more insidious than the first.

So if heaven were real, I'd say both versions are synonymous with hell. I'd beg for my own self annihilation, so that my own soul may not exist.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
06-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to exists for a thousand years or so and be able to truly experience the universe without personal responsibilities or obligations. But I will eventually get to the point when I've learned all I want to, seen everything I want to see, experienced everything that I care to experience; and at that point existence itself will become a pointless torture. Without the ability to cease to be, I would eventually go mad.

Evolution has ill equipped us for the concept of eternity...

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post