If it’s Tourist Season why can’t we shoot them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2015, 02:07 PM
RE: If it’s Tourist Season why can’t we shoot them?
(30-12-2015 02:00 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Interesting. I've found the attitude towards tourists here to be different. It seems like most people see our tourists for what they are....the islands main source of income. It's an unwritten rule that no matter who you are, be nice and helpful to tourists. They do, after all, pay our bills.

I bitch and moan here because it’s fun. I’m nice and helpful to all the ones I meet face to face even though I don’t make a living off of them.

But you have more than one road in and out of Dodge. Dodgy
Just going to the grocery for us is a two hour round trip when there’s heavy traffic and there’s no way to avoid it. I’m willing to tolerate it all because it’s so damn beautiful here and where else in the US can you go diving on a reef in December where the water temperature is 79F?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-12-2015, 02:13 PM
(30-12-2015 02:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 02:00 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Interesting. I've found the attitude towards tourists here to be different. It seems like most people see our tourists for what they are....the islands main source of income. It's an unwritten rule that no matter who you are, be nice and helpful to tourists. They do, after all, pay our bills.

I bitch and moan here because it’s fun. I’m nice and helpful to all the ones I meet face to face even though I don’t make a living off of them.

Just going to the grocery for us is a two hour round trip when there’s heavy traffic and there’s no way to avoid it. I’m willing to tolerate it all because it’s so damn beautiful here and where else in the US can you go diving on a reef in December where the water temperature is 79F?

Don't get me wrong....I can't stand the tourists. Bunch of slow driving, beer chugging, ignorant Neanderthals. I'm just amazed at how tolerant my fellow islanders are. I think I'm still getting used to the relaxed attitude that's so prevalent here, but I just don't have the patience typical islanders have.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
30-12-2015, 02:18 PM
This guy is pretty funny.

[Image: 13064.jpg]
30-12-2015, 02:50 PM
I read a book many years ago by an ex-park ranger who had worked at Yellowstone National Park (sorry, can't remember his name or the name of the book). He had some good "tourist stories". My favorite one was about the people who were confused and scared because, even though the park had 5 entrances, they couldn't find any exits. It didn't occur to them that the entrances were also exits.
30-12-2015, 03:02 PM
(30-12-2015 02:13 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 02:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I bitch and moan here because it’s fun. I’m nice and helpful to all the ones I meet face to face even though I don’t make a living off of them.

Don't get me wrong....I can't stand the tourists. Bunch of slow driving, beer chugging, ignorant Neanderthals. I'm just amazed at how tolerant my fellow islanders are. I think I'm still getting used to the relaxed attitude that's so prevalent here, but I just don't have the patience typical islanders have.

Somebody apparently isn't smoking enough. Smokin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-12-2015, 03:04 PM
(30-12-2015 02:00 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  It's an unwritten rule that no matter who you are, be nice and helpful...

Isn't that just being Canadian?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
30-12-2015, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2015 08:28 PM by Full Circle.)
(30-12-2015 02:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  This guy is pretty funny.

[Image: 13064.jpg]

I’ve read all his books. He used to live on the island we live on.

He also wrote this book that was turned into a movie.

[Image: c0137_-_p_ster_striptease_-_1996.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-12-2015, 03:18 PM
(30-12-2015 08:44 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Winter tourist season is in full swing down here in the Florida Keys.

The road (notice singular as there is only one road in and out of here) has been bumper to bumper from Key Largo to Key West for the last several days and traffic accidents abound. And with the influx of tourists the stupid questions and comments are sure to follow. (Ask Izel, I’m sure she has some of her own doozies working in the travel business).

Yes we have discussed this before but hey, I need to laugh and I’m sure you do too.
Personal favorite...#8 Blink

[Image: gty_jaws_movie_crowd_jc_150528_16x9_992.jpg]

THESE ARE ACTUAL COMPLAINTS RECEIVED BY "THOMAS COOK VACATIONS" FROM DISSATISFIED CUSTOMERS:

1. "They should not allow topless sunbathing on the beach. It was very distracting for my husband who just wanted to relax."

2. "On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don’t like spicy food."

3. "We went on holiday to Spain and had a problem with the taxi drivers as they were all Spanish."

4. "We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our own swimsuits and towels. We assumed it would be included in the price."

5. "The beach was too sandy. We had to clean everything when we returned to our room."

6. "We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as white but it was more yellow."

7. "It's lazy of the local shopkeepers in Puerto Vallartato close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time -- this should be banned."

8. "No-one told us there would be fish in the water. The children were scared."

9. "Although the brochure said that there was a fully equipped kitchen, there was no egg-slicer in the drawers."

10. "I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local convenience store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."

11. "The roads were uneven and bumpy, so we could not read the local guide book during the bus ride to the resort. Because of this, we were unaware of many things that would have made our holiday more fun."

12. "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England. It took the Americans only three hours to get home. This seems unfair."

13. "I compared the size of our one-bedroom suite to our friends' three-bedroom and ours was significantly smaller."

14. "The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the resort.' We're trainee hairdressers and we think they knew and made us wait longer for service."

15. "When we were in Spain, there were too many Spanish people there. The receptionist spoke Spanish, the food was Spanish. No one told us that there would be so many foreigners."

16. "We had to line up outside to catch the boat and there was no air-conditioning."

17. "It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel."

18. "I was bitten by a mosquito. The brochure did not mention mosquitoes."

19. "My fiancée and I requested twin-beds when we booked, but instead we were placed in a room with a king bed. We now hold you responsible and want to be re-reimbursed for the fact that I became pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blogdramed...73107.html

This is the cost of living in a state where you don't have to pay any state income tax. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
30-12-2015, 04:56 PM

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
30-12-2015, 05:07 PM
(30-12-2015 12:44 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Here tourists aren't a problem, save for the ones passing by to better destinations like Seattle. But I have made one huge observation living here...No one fucking ever looks both ways before crossing a street or busy intersection. They just walk out...it's amazing to me. Because you pull that shit in San Francisco, you'll do it once and end up in an ambulance. Here they assume cars will just stop, and generally speaking they will.

But when we lived near San Francisco, tourists used to drive us crazy. You try to be polite, but sometimes....

You just want to beat them with a stick. It never failed we'd get stuck behind one of them obviously lost in the city, trying to navigate the hills and thinking they knew how to drive a stick. Or they drove painfully slow...even stopping at yellow lights. Really?! To drive in the SF Bay Area, you've got to be an asshole. You've got got to dodge, people on bikes, tourists who refuse to look both ways before crossing a street, other cars, double parked cars making deliveries...traffic is a nightmare...but if you know this, you can navigate through it, pretty fast.

Once recently visiting California we were driving down the coast highway 1 (Cabrillo), got behind some asshole in a minivan doing 40 mph. The speed limit through there is 50-55. We got closer and realized they were from Oregon!

Humiliating.

I spent a year in Medellin Colombia and there they have foot bridges crossing the city streets. And cars have the right of way. Pedestrians do not. You can get a ticket for crossing the street without going up and over the footbridge. It is to the point that when a pedestrian got hit by a car they'd draw a huge yellow star on the street. I referred to it as celebrating that the taxi got another pedestrian> I suggested that they put the star on the door of the taxi, and a second one if he scored twice. It could give new meaning to a five start taxi service!