If it is ok-I am not going to be polite:)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2010, 06:22 PM
RE: If it is ok-I am not going to be polite:)
Glad to have you with us, Soldieringon!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 06:46 AM

@ Unbeliever and Stark Raving: Thank you

@ the OP:

No, I don't find it hard to believe that they're all religious at all.

Really.

the Bible had it right when it called people sheep. They have this herd mentality. I love individuals. Individuals are smart, funny, educated and open to (in most cases) reason.

when you get a group together, and that includes any group that's founded on a belief system, people act like cattle and let someone else do their thinking for them. it's easier. It's born out of a survival instinct.

So when you call that group Christians, you realize that shutting out rational inquiry and simply "not questioning" is what makes them so successful in the first place. By following "the herd", they get the "safety in numbers" factor for their survival.

When you challenge someone's faith, you single them out as weak and/or sick, and they resent that. They see you as an intellectual predator (which, I suppose we are). By pulling the carpet out from under their world view you challenge their very sense of self (don't forget, you identify with atheism just as soundly as they identify with Christianity), and in the back of their mind, a challenge to their sense of self is a challenge to their actual self.

So they get defensive.

No, i'm not surprised at all. After all, if it were hard to be a Christian, they would all just go to science class instead and we wouldn't have anyone to challenge our beliefs and sharpen our argumentative teeth on. The fact that we need to discuss it means that they're stubborn in their beliefs.

Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow-what an excellent post. Your comments articulated a jumbled thought I had on this issue -laying it out perfectly clearing the way for me to explain this concept to others. About 30 minutes a day I just think about different issues and manipulate facets and determine different outcomes. You put my jumbled thoughts into words.

Just for the fun of it and changing direction of thought I just finished contemplating the problem with dark matter in the universe. I will be submitting a letter to the editor of Scientific American. Kind of excited about it. I am sure they will blow it to hell (pun intended) with justication by exposing flaws. We shall see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 07:46 AM

There's a big difference between being "PC" and being civil. I wrote a blog about this, actually ...

http://cadiiitalk.blogspot.com/2009/08/a...at-is.html
Quote this message in a reply