If it's in a book or on the Discovery Channel, it must be true?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 12:30 PM
If it's in a book or on the Discovery Channel, it must be true?
My new article on my blog, scientosis.blogspot.com

I was walking through Barnes and Noble a few days ago and noticed a book who's cover caught my eye. It displayed a large picture of a trilobite in a light tan colored shale. It was a very pretty picture, so I wandered over to peruse its contents, only to then notice its title "Darwin's Doubt: The Explosive Origin of Animal Life and the Case for Intelligent Design." My enthusiasm for it quickly evaporated, but I did turn the book over to see who was bold enough to endorse such a piece of work. There were 2 names worth mentioning, the first is one you have surely heard of, Mr. Dean Koontz, a very famous author of...fiction. The second is a Mount Holyoke professor, Dr. Mark McMenamin (whom I have written about before in my article title "Bad 'Science'"). Not the most reputable of reviewers for a book purporting itself to be something approaching science. But then I realized that it didn't matter. People who don't know McMenamin's reputation for bad "science" won't recognize him as something of a mockery in paleontology, and name dropping Dean Koontz was no doubt a not-so-subtle strategy to put a name on the book people would recognize. And thus, the book seems to the average passer-by to be entirely reputable (I'll let you look up your own reviews of it, I would recommend one by Dr. Prothero who is a respected paleontologist). Then, only a few days ago, the Discovery Channel starts off its "Shark Week" with a special (that I must admit to having not seen myself) that pretends to be a legitimate documentary on a modern-day Megalodon shark. Only giving away that it is a fake documentary at the end with a short disclaimer. This too will come off to the average viewer as entirely reputable and if they, like so many others, happen to tune out before the end credits, will walk away with entirely the wrong message.

It is a funny thing, that we tend to do in the Age of Information, we take it for granted. Anyone could easily google the book in question or the prehistoric Megalodon and see them for what they really are. But the reality is that most who see these, won't. The assumption is made that a reputable network like the Discovery Channel or a retailer like Barnes and Noble, wouldn't put something on their shelves that wasn't true...would they? The simple fact that someone took their ideas and published them (either through a publisher or via self-publishing) seems to be good enough for most people to consider it "fact" and/or reputable (I touch on this in my article "To vaccinate or not to vaccinate? That is the...you know what? Just get them the shot"). The reality is that the old adage to not believe anything you see and only half of what you hear, holds just as much truth today as it ever has.It is a necessity that if you see something that sounds too good to be true, or goes against the majority of experts in that field, you should take the time to review it thoroughly first. It is very likely that that you will be giving up your cash and time to those whom you do not wish to endorse.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." -Donny Miller

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 06:46 PM
RE: If it's in a book or on the Discovery Channel, it must be true?
"The reality is that the old adage to not believe anything you see and only half of what you hear, holds just as much truth today as it ever has."

Absolutely, you need to scrutinize everything and what is portrayed as fact, almost certainly isn't, in way too many instances.
Things are not always as they seem Dodgy
07-08-2013, 11:07 AM
I know Airplane Repo is faker than a swap meet handbag.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
07-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Yes it is, TBD. Never underestimate the power of the Discovery Side.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]