• 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2014, 09:09 PM
RE: If it was real... part 1
This thread is stupid.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
28-05-2014, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 11:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-05-2014 09:09 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  This thread is stupid.

Says the school dropout genius.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
28-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Almost as real as this bad apple story...

[Image: SnowWhite3.gif]

A fairy tale is a fairy tale...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
29-05-2014, 12:02 AM
(28-05-2014 09:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Excuse me, I didn't drop out. I got kicked out.
I'm not a quitter.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
29-05-2014, 12:16 AM
(28-05-2014 11:35 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  So let's try and have a serious intelligent discussion about a few things in the bible and let's discuss how they really happened.

Well it's hard to take that seriously. But hey, that's just me.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
29-05-2014, 12:47 AM
Screw it I'll give it a try. I'm familiar with Babylonian mythology. According to that, it wasn't a fruit or a tree. In Babylonian ancient writings, a tree represented knowledge. So it wasn't a fruit that was being bitched about, it was knowledge. You know how the god of the bible loves to be the big daddy of the show. One way to achieve this is to keep your slaves stupid and mindless. Kinda puts a spin on things. Makes Lucifer look like the good guy.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
29-05-2014, 06:48 AM
(28-05-2014 09:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Yabut, he's right. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-05-2014, 08:09 AM
(28-05-2014 02:03 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The literal interpretation of Adam/Eve is relatively a new concept that has found its was in Protestantism and Fundamentalism.

Look at the teachings of Augustine... he highly questioned the literal creation story.

But the reason some of the church fathers had an issue with the 6 day creation was that it was too slow. They believed it showed God to be too weak. Contemporary allegorical interpreters like you fall on the opposit end of the expectrum. At least the Fundies are being honest to the text in Genesis as well as references to the 6 day creation in the sabbath commandments in the rest of the Torah.

(28-05-2014 05:15 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  Even IF it was real, the tree of knowledge, bearing the forbidden fruit wasn't necessary, by any stretch of the imagination.

God was all-knowing, so he sure as hell didn't need it.
Adam and Eve were clearly told, that munching on said tree, would kill them, so yea, it would be safe to say, they didn't need it either. Rolleyes

Keep in mind, that god already knows the future. But, let's just say that he didn't glance in his crystal ball that day....

So, here's god who could plop this one-of-a-kind, "look but don't touch" tree of death, anywhere on earth, and where did he choose to put it?!?!

And the stupid ass tree, that caused so much trouble, was destroyed in the flood anyway, so what the hell was the point?? Facepalm Consider

Your observations come from an understanding that God has to be all knowing but considering that the creation story probably had two authors and neither of them are working from the concept of an all knowing deity, the story by itself divorced from the rest of the bible makes sense. In fact God within the creation narrative seems to be quite oblivious to what's happening, let alone know the future. For example, God doesnt know where Adam and Eve are hiding, he doesnt know how they realized they are naked, and he has to ask them what led them to eat the fruit.

Fundies have to strech in so many ways to make sense of this to fit the concept of an all knowing, all powerful, benevolent deity that you get if you assume the rest of the stories were written or inspired by the same author when they were clearly not.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor