If it were done *where* 'tis done...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2017, 02:01 PM
RE: If it were done *where* 'tis done...
[Image: E30MuTS.jpg]

Well. This is interesting.
I should move to the US if I want a job, more money and more free time, but I would have to worry about prison, murder, AIDS and harming the environment. I knew it!

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
03-08-2017, 02:42 PM
(03-08-2017 01:41 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 09:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  Eish

Eish! Heart

(The "you'll earn less money" does not take into consideration the fact that you'll probably spend less. Not sure about Brazil and Bulgaria though; salaries might be comparable, but basic stuff seems much more expensive here. How *do* they manage?)

They do the earnings comparison in PPP dollars - I forget what the acronym stands for, but it's an adjusted measure. It doesn't reflect dollar earnings, but it reflects earnings adjusted for things like the fact that in South Africa, although we earn less in absolute terms the power of what we earn is more since a lot of things are cheaper.

Also I believe in the US a lot of food-stuffs are subsidised? Not sure though, but that's what I've heard.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-08-2017, 02:49 PM
SYZ, yeah, I don't think it's a hundred percent, scientifically correct, but it's interesting and gives you a good idea of the differences... in some respects, of course.

Shai, that does have a nice ring to it. This, however, is one butt-ugly ring. Of course I'm not into ring (or jewelry, in general); But especially rings.
[Image: pope.jpg]

Undegroundp, how about that?

[Image: Capture.jpg]

I am still not sure where they get this whole class divide thing. Only 14% more class divide in Brazil than in Bulgaria, which is one of the most classist societies there are? My classless ass. Seriously!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
03-08-2017, 03:13 PM
(02-08-2017 10:07 PM)Vera Wrote:  Okay, bad attempt at a Shakespearean joke aside, stumbled across this and found it a rather interesting time killer:

If it were my home: compare any two countries in the world.

Not convinced about the class divide though. If communism (and 5 centuries of Ottoman oppression, which resulted in no aristocracy) have left us anything good, it's the lack of classes. Not like in a lot of other countries, anyway.

Ran the numbers, moving to Australia. Drinking Beverage

Of course I can't own a machine gun there so I'm not quite sure what'll become of me. Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
03-08-2017, 03:16 PM
(03-08-2017 02:49 PM)Vera Wrote:  Undegroundp, how about that?

I am still not sure where they get this whole class divide thing. Only 14% more class divide in Brazil than in Bulgaria, which is one of the most classist societies there are? My classless ass. Seriously!

What's with the oil one? Huh

And yeap, this class divide thing seems kinda weird. I suppose it's an income thing?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
03-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Class divide is measured by GINI coefficient, according to the website, which is a measure of how much wealth is concentrated in the hands of the wealthy. 0% means everyone's equal, 100% means that the very small wealthy contingent owns every goddamn thing, and no one else has a look in.

ETA: it seems they're doing a simple ratio of GINI co-efficients to get their "class divide" - or possibly subtracting?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-08-2017, 03:22 PM
morondog, that makes sense if this is what they meant, more like buying power than money made. Not sure if they did on this site.

ETA: And America has less class divide than pretty much all other countries (according to this site)? Yeah right! Also, that's not a good enough measure, to me at least. The ""divide" between rich and poor in Bulgaria is NOTHING like in Brazil. Or the US, from what I see and hear.

This is what you do, Kid.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Or just get a kangaroo bodyguard.

[Image: hLluR.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
03-08-2017, 03:25 PM
(03-08-2017 03:22 PM)Vera Wrote:  morondog, that makes sense if this is what they meant, more like buying power than money made. Not sure if they did on this site.

They did, and it is simple subtraction. If you click on the drop-down thingy by "Class divide" it gives you the blurb on GINI coefficients.

03-08-2017, 03:30 PM
(03-08-2017 03:13 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Of course I can't own a machine gun there so I'm not quite sure what'll become of me.

You could join the cops, and get one of these babies...

[Image: 1.jpg]

Although I note it doesn't have the 30 round mag. Dunno why?

Cool

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
03-08-2017, 03:32 PM
Okay, I got it.

Is still not what I think of when I think of class DIVIDE. A class divide, to me, is when a Brazilian friend of mine tells me that nowadays it's slightly better in universities than when she was there, ten years ago, when she was the ONLY person from a poor, not as educated family (her mother is taking literacy classes today, as an elderly lady) and how HUGE the differences between her and her classmates were. Not quite the same as me having a classmate who'd only wear the most expensive brands of jeans, is it?

Seriously, the situation here is... it really is not just about money and buying power; the divide feels like something tangible, something I've never experienced in Europe, even in my, apparently, dump of a home-country.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post