If it were done *where* 'tis done...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2017, 04:35 PM
RE: If it were done *where* 'tis done...
I live in the US, but my likelihood of going to prison is virtually nil, because I don't commit crimes.

I do use more oil (in the form of gasoline) because I live in the country and that means a lot of driving.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2017, 12:31 AM
(03-08-2017 04:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I live in the US, but my likelihood of going to prison is virtually nil, because I don't commit crimes.

Ah how quaint Tongue The idea that one must commit crimes to go to prison.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
04-08-2017, 12:39 AM
(03-08-2017 03:32 PM)Vera Wrote:  Seriously, the situation here is... it really is not just about money and buying power; the divide feels like something tangible, something I've never experienced in Europe, even in my, apparently, dump of a home-country.

Yeah. It tends to be tangible in my experience. A low GINI coefficient implies a more egalitarian society. IIRC Brazil is just behing South Africa for highest GINI coefficient? When people live their lives on the street, and other people just drive on by... it kinda illustrates the divide in fairly stark terms. I'm surprised Bulgaria's GINI coefficient is as high as it is though. I will say that... it can be quite hard to actually *see* the stuff that goes on. The poor tend to be somewhat invisible. Out of sight, out of mind.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-08-2017, 12:52 AM
It is still not what I meant. It is much, much more than just a question of money. Leaving aside the extremes of homeless people and those going to work in helicopters, there is a tangible feeling of classes, of different LAYERS of people and which does not exist in Bulgaria and due to historical reasons hasn't existed in centuries. It is so much more than the haves and the have-nots. Once the daughter of a "diarista" (the Brazilian for "the help". And just as nice a word), always inherently inferior. And money is only *part* of it.

And yeah, there are poor people in Bulgaria, like everywhere else. It is still not comparable, in any way, shape or form to Brazil or South Africa. And it is *not* a question of invisibility.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
04-08-2017, 01:33 AM
(04-08-2017 12:52 AM)Vera Wrote:  Once the daughter of a "diarista" (the Brazilian for "the help". And just as nice a word), always inherently inferior. And money is only *part* of it.

And yeah, there are poor people in Bulgaria, like everywhere else. It is still not comparable, in any way, shape or form to Brazil or South Africa. And it is *not* a question of invisibility.

I think I see what you mean now. Social mobility is not really a thing here either. There are classes and if you're born into that class you don't move out of it. And if you *do* by some miracle move to a higher income bracket or otherwise move up the social ladder, you merely acquire the attitudes and beliefs of your new class, the actual class structure doesn't change.

04-08-2017, 02:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 02:55 AM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(03-08-2017 01:48 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I love how the only thing for Vatican City is that I'd be more likely to be Catholic. Umm, site...I am? So would I be Pope Hulud I?
That is legitimately the funniest thing I've read in a while! Kudos to you sir.

@OP I know I've been harping on a lot about Singapore lately but Jesus I might have to move now lol

http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/CA/SG

I mean, holy goddamn shit America lets pack our bags together, we are all staying at DLJ's place now.

http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/US/SG

This site is amazing for an Econ nerd like me! Gah, it even has a recommended reading list! Heart

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
04-08-2017, 09:03 AM
(04-08-2017 01:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think I see what you mean now. Social mobility is not really a thing here either. There are classes and if you're born into that class you don't move out of it. And if you *do* by some miracle move to a higher income bracket or otherwise move up the social ladder, you merely acquire the attitudes and beliefs of your new class, the actual class structure doesn't change.

Yeah, I think I was kind of talking about the entire idea of classes (another reason I find it increasingly difficult to reread Tolkien), with the whole "master" repulsiveness, of different kinds and levels of people, some inherently superior to others.

Hard to explain and not something that can be measured, I know... but it does feel different here than it does in Europe, both Bulgaria and the other countries I've lived in...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
04-08-2017, 10:24 AM
(03-08-2017 02:01 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  [Image: E30MuTS.jpg]

Well. This is interesting.
I should move to the US if I want a job, more money and more free time, but I would have to worry about prison, murder, AIDS and harming the environment. I knew it!

Get a job and have more free time? How does that work?

Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
04-08-2017, 03:05 PM
(03-08-2017 02:49 PM)Vera Wrote:  Shai, that does have a nice ring to it. This, however, is one butt-ugly ring. Of course I'm not into ring (or jewelry, in general); But especially rings.

So tacky a ring. Granted, gold usually doesn't photograph well, but let's go for silver or tungsten. Though props to Pope Francis; he did turn down a golden Pectoral Cross when he became Pope and just kept his silver one as a Bishop in Argentina instead, saving a boatload of money and sending a message about excesses in the church. Since about 811, Popes have worn a big pectoral cross as a sign of their authority over other Bishops, made of gold and encrusted with valuable gemstones.

(04-08-2017 02:52 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  That is legitimately the funniest thing I've read in a while! Kudos to you sir.

Thank you. When I am Popeworm, Indulgences for everyone!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
04-08-2017, 05:52 PM
That's a neat little website (OK, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but still, its a nice experiement on living condition). I just compared Canada, my home country, with the United States and damn do we look good compared to them. Compared to most European countries, we are bit shitty though, especially when I look back at the stats of my former home of Switzerland.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.