"If it weren't for guns we'd still be British"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2015, 11:33 AM
RE: "If it weren't for guns we'd still be British"
Quote:"If it weren't for guns we'd still be British"

Best anti gun argument I've heard in a while .

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Slowminded's post
21-12-2015, 11:47 AM
(21-12-2015 11:33 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
Quote:"If it weren't for guns we'd still be British"

Best anti gun argument I've heard in a while .

Isn't it funny that many Americans have a special place in their hearts for the British? Many Americans go ga-ga over the British Royal family, probably more so than the British themselves. Kinda funny, that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-12-2015, 12:17 PM
I think it's debatable as to whether or not, without guns, we'd still be British. But we sure as shit wouldn't be 'Murican; which in many ways would be fine with me.
21-12-2015, 12:35 PM
(20-12-2015 09:49 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It was a long process, and there were indeed skirmishes with Britain along the way, though no all out war. It did became it's own country in 1867, but was still under the British crown. Britain's influence over most of its territories and colonies diminished as a direct result of the world wars, and it wasn't until 1982 that Canada claimed the right to modify its own constitution.

It is, however, still a member of the commonwealth. When I worked for corrections and then immigration, I had to take an oath to the queen. When I eventually get my citizenship and have to take an oath to the queen yet again, I'll probably be the only one there who has already done it twice Tongue

And if you are arrested for any thing it is an offense against the queen! I drove over the speed limit and the queen was offended according to the papers they gave me!
21-12-2015, 12:59 PM
(21-12-2015 12:35 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 09:49 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It was a long process, and there were indeed skirmishes with Britain along the way, though no all out war. It did became it's own country in 1867, but was still under the British crown. Britain's influence over most of its territories and colonies diminished as a direct result of the world wars, and it wasn't until 1982 that Canada claimed the right to modify its own constitution.

It is, however, still a member of the commonwealth. When I worked for corrections and then immigration, I had to take an oath to the queen. When I eventually get my citizenship and have to take an oath to the queen yet again, I'll probably be the only one there who has already done it twice Tongue

And if you are arrested for any thing it is an offense against the queen! I drove over the speed limit and the queen was offended according to the papers they gave me!

The property I got last week was government property until about 3 years ago, and when we went through the paperwork I noted that the first owner, in the late 1800s, is shown to be the king before it was transferred over to the Canadian government. Maybe that's common here, but I'm relatively new to the whole thing so it's still a novelty to me. So for now I'll pretend like that makes it special Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
21-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Don't forget the Fenians and Louis Rial. Canadian history isn't quite as peaceful and polite as some would want you to believe.
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
21-12-2015, 02:30 PM
(21-12-2015 01:58 PM)jabeady Wrote:  

Don't forget the Fenians and Louis Rial. Canadian history isn't quite as peaceful and polite as some would want you to believe.

Nobody's is Smile

'Murican Canadian
21-12-2015, 03:21 PM
It's also good to note that more than half the violent revolt/revolution in Canada were not between Canadians against British colonial authority, but Canadians against other Canadians. The clivage between French Canadian and Anglo-Canadian proved to make much more spark.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
21-12-2015, 03:39 PM
(20-12-2015 09:11 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  "If it weren't for guns we'd still be British"

But it wasn't the militia that kicked the British out, it was regular army troops trained by European professionals.

Ask your friend if he's part of a well-regulated militia.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2015, 03:55 PM
(21-12-2015 03:39 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 09:11 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  "If it weren't for guns we'd still be British"

But it wasn't the militia that kicked the British out, it was regular army troops trained by European professionals.

Ask your friend if he's part of a well-regulated militia.

I sometimes think that to some people a well-regulated militia as one that isn't constipated.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post