"If it weren't for guns we'd still be British"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2015, 04:04 PM
RE: "If it weren't for guns we'd still be British"
(21-12-2015 03:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 03:39 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  But it wasn't the militia that kicked the British out, it was regular army troops trained by European professionals.

Ask your friend if he's part of a well-regulated militia.

I sometimes think that to some people a well-regulated militia as one that isn't constipated.

The super-gunners ignore that part, it's ... awkward. Never mind that it states the intent of the 2A, it's got nothing about keep all their toys. If the Constitution was Amended to disallow private ownership of handguns they'd ignore it and proudly go "outlaw", at least until they ran out of Budweiser, at which point they'd slink out of their rec rooms and rejoin the United States of America.

(In case you're wondering, I've been an owner and a shooter since 1965, trained in gun handling and safety by a one-legged Marine gunny sergeant.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
21-12-2015, 05:12 PM
And I'm a gun nut who has never had a beer in my life, and never been drunk for that matter. I wonder what percentage of gun nuts actually fit the drunk redneck stereotype?

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
21-12-2015, 05:17 PM
(21-12-2015 05:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  And I'm a gun nut who has never had a beer in my life, and never been drunk for that matter. I wonder what percentage of gun nuts actually fit the drunk redneck stereotype?

Now you're scaring Girly as much as the dimwitted Serbian assassin does. Bechased

#sigh
21-12-2015, 05:26 PM
(21-12-2015 05:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 05:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  And I'm a gun nut who has never had a beer in my life, and never been drunk for that matter. I wonder what percentage of gun nuts actually fit the drunk redneck stereotype?

Now you're scaring Girly as much as the dimwitted Serbian assassin does. Bechased

I'm not that scary as long as my neocortex is in control to keep those darker impulses in check. If I were to take up drinking, on the other hand, who knows? Smile

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
21-12-2015, 05:29 PM
(21-12-2015 05:26 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 05:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Now you're scaring Girly as much as the dimwitted Serbian assassin does. Bechased

I'm not that scary as long as my neocortex is in control to keep those darker impulses in check. If I were to take up drinking, on the other hand, who knows? Smile

Shit dude. Now I'm more worried about what's gonna happen when your limbic region finally kicks your frontal lobe's ass if you ain't been drinking. No good can come of that. Hobo

#sigh
21-12-2015, 07:39 PM
I think you mean the French.

(20-12-2015 09:11 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  So...a friend shared this image from a pro-gun Facebook page with the caption:

"If it weren't for guns we'd still be British"

[Image: 7e482e1fb062cff88039f6e011451c67.jpg]

My first thought was "Yabut, Canada. You know, our friendly northern neighbors who obtained their independence from Great Britain by peaceful means..."

But then I remembered that most of my history knowledge was obtained via a Christian school in the U.S. and is therefore suspect. Dodgy

Was Canadian Independence a political thing or was there some violence behind the scenes that I don't know about?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-12-2015, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2015 10:49 PM by Chas.)
(21-12-2015 03:39 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 09:11 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  "If it weren't for guns we'd still be British"

But it wasn't the militia that kicked the British out, it was regular army troops trained by European professionals.

The majority of the troops were not professional soldiers nor trained by European professionals. So there's that.

Quote:Ask your friend if he's part of a well-regulated militia.

Militias are not standing armies - they are ad hoc.
When a militia is needed, it is formed comprising people who have their own arms.

"The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained
so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper
working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly,
functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was
not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to
render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-12-2015, 12:16 AM
(21-12-2015 10:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  Militias are not standing armies - they are ad hoc.
When a militia is needed, it is formed comprising people who have their own arms.

Name two times that's ever really worked that way.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-12-2015, 01:35 AM
Could not imagine calling cookies "biscuits". It's a thought that keeps me awake at night.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
22-12-2015, 01:38 AM
(22-12-2015 01:35 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Could not imagine calling cookies "biscuits". It's a thought that keeps me awake at night.

Or call a cigarette a fag. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.