If not Hell then what?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2014, 06:32 AM
RE: If not Hell then what?
So, what is nobody going to get responses now? Maybe he did retreat to the kiddies table.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2014, 07:05 AM
(06-03-2014 08:57 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 08:35 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Isnt there also a verse about how if you have the opportunity to share the word of god with someone and you don't do it and they end up never hearing it, then you go to hell in their place?

No, they were probably thinking of Ezekiel 33:8,9, "When I say to the wicked, ‘You wicked person, you will surely die,’ and you do not speak out to dissuade them from their ways, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. But if you do warn the wicked person to turn from their ways and they do not do so, they will die for their sin, though you yourself will be saved."

That's very likely. The verse is talking about literal life and death (which is what was the issue back in the Old Testament), but a lot of Christians read the OT through the lens of the NT. They will frequently interpret "life" and "death" to mean "eternal life" and "eternal death". Similarly, they'll read Sheol, Gehenna, and Hinnom all as "Hell" (especially if they like the KJV).
07-03-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm having computer problems at the moment and will return to this thread when I get things resolved.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
07-03-2014, 01:56 PM
(07-03-2014 01:29 PM)Drich Wrote:  I'm having computer problems at the moment and will return to this thread when I get things resolved.
Apparently you haven't been praying enough. Drinking Beverage

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 6 users Like Impulse's post
07-03-2014, 03:43 PM
If not Hell then what?
(05-03-2014 10:43 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 10:10 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Somewhere like Earth, where there's problems but not eternal suffering?

Or, maybe he could just be a bit nicer, so people will stop seeing him as terrible and therefore would be more willing to serve him?

Or he could just stop creating the people he knows won't want to serve him.

Also, yes, people go to hell because they "don't want to serve him". Not because they don't believe he exists or have never heard of him. Because they're willfully ignoring him. Right.

So you want to live on a literal Godless planet where there is nothing between you and those who would prey on your soul? Explain to me (besides the view) what you think the difference is between hell and your planet?

Well, the whole no "eternal torment" part isn't a tip-off?

(07-03-2014 01:29 PM)Drich Wrote:  I'm having computer problems at the moment and will return to this thread when I get things resolved.

Try compressing boot.ini. That usually helps.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
07-03-2014, 03:49 PM
(05-03-2014 10:06 PM)Drich Wrote:  If you believe Hell to be immoral or just plain wrong, then what would you suggest God do with those who do not want to serve Him for eternity?

Treating this question with FAR more seriousness than it deserves:

Two possible answers come to mind. First, annihilationism. Let them die and cease to exist, as they did not exist before they were born. Do not wake them, tell them I told you so, then put them back to sleep. Just let them be.

Second, forgive and grant them eternal life, too. If Jesus truly died for everyone, then belief or faith should not be a factor. I am sure that if I am awakened by a loving God who told me I was wrong to doubt him but that he forgives me and is granting me eternal life in heaven or earth or wherever, I would never fail to show my gratitude.

And a pony. I'd like a pony.
[+] 2 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
07-03-2014, 05:42 PM
(07-03-2014 07:05 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 08:57 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  No, they were probably thinking of Ezekiel 33:8,9, "When I say to the wicked, ‘You wicked person, you will surely die,’ and you do not speak out to dissuade them from their ways, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. But if you do warn the wicked person to turn from their ways and they do not do so, they will die for their sin, though you yourself will be saved."

That's very likely. The verse is talking about literal life and death (which is what was the issue back in the Old Testament), but a lot of Christians read the OT through the lens of the NT. They will frequently interpret "life" and "death" to mean "eternal life" and "eternal death". Similarly, they'll read Sheol, Gehenna, and Hinnom all as "Hell" (especially if they like the KJV).

Btw thanks for posting this verse. I used it to tell my uncle why there's nothing wrong with the Catholic Church tolerating civil unions.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
07-03-2014, 06:03 PM
If not Hell then what?
Hey Drich, the thread I started for you to provide some of the "mountains of evidence for God's existence" is still open: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...?tid=23450

Just saying.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
07-03-2014, 07:38 PM

Don't fucking bother, asshole.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-03-2014, 07:41 PM
(07-03-2014 03:43 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 10:43 PM)Drich Wrote:  So you want to live on a literal Godless planet where there is nothing between you and those who would prey on your soul? Explain to me (besides the view) what you think the difference is between hell and your planet?

Well, the whole no "eternal torment" part isn't a tip-off?

Try compressing boot.ini. That usually helps.

Go into the command line and type "format C:\ <enter>" That always helps.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop