If praying worked??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2012, 10:31 PM
If praying worked??
If praying worked and god stopped people from dying, after someone prayed to him, how many earths would we need to house all the people?

How do people continue to believe praying works, when it's obvious that people die anyway after praying. Do they think they are special?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes satan69's post
12-02-2012, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2012 05:20 PM by Thomas.)
RE: If praying worked??
(11-02-2012 10:31 PM)satan69 Wrote:  How do people continue to believe praying works, when it's obvious that people die anyway after praying.

They believe because they want to

(11-02-2012 10:31 PM)satan69 Wrote:  Do they think they are special?

Yes they think they are special because they believe God made them special.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
13-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Prayer does work... like a placebo works. It makes the pray-er feel better.
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-02-2012, 06:06 AM
(11-02-2012 10:31 PM)satan69 Wrote:  If praying worked and god stopped people from dying, after someone prayed to him, how many earths would we need to house all the people?

How do people continue to believe praying works, when it's obvious that people die anyway after praying. Do they think they are special?

There's always a way for a believer to justify whatever result as a consequence of his or her praying, it never seems to be on a negative spectrum in reference to 'god' though, it's interesting. If the person does get better then 'god' listened to the prayer and blessed him/her. If, on the other hand, the person doesn't get better then it wasn't 'god', it was 'satan', or 'god' needed the person in question for some greater purpose and decided to take him/her.

As DJT said, it makes the person doing the praying feel better.
13-02-2012, 02:18 PM

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
13-02-2012, 02:21 PM
(13-02-2012 05:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Prayer does work... like a placebo works. It makes the pray-er feel better.

I believe that faith and prayer can have a pshcological impact on health and wellness. It's not mentally stable IMO but it probably works.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
13-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Prayer is a form of self-hypnosis

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
13-02-2012, 09:31 PM
(13-02-2012 02:42 PM)Observer Wrote:  Prayer is a form of self-hypnosis

Watching evangelists at work, it's also mass hypnosis.
I wonder if that's why the RCC calls it "mass".

A thought just occured to me... Newton gave us: Force = Mass x Acceleration
Is that why Apologists talk so fast... The faster they preach to their masses, the greater the force? Therefore is WLCraig really Darth Vader?
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
14-02-2012, 04:59 PM
I think praying helps you emotionally. It doesn't work the way people claim it does, but it'll boost yourconfidence.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
15-02-2012, 04:04 AM
(14-02-2012 04:59 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  I think praying helps you emotionally. It doesn't work the way people claim it does, but it'll boost yourconfidence.

Kinda like vodka, except it works the way people claim it does but won’t help you emotionally…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post