If religion did not exist, how much would we have achieved?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2014, 09:46 PM
If religion did not exist, how much would we have achieved?
Today while playing Pokemon I thought about stem-cells. I remember that many Christian fundamentalist say stem-cell research is wrong. However, stem-cells can help with illness and help people around the world. However those people are debating and saying that it is immoral to destroy some cells that won't know weather it is dead or alive in order to save someone or stop the research to save someone that has already has an experience. Well I know research is also under way for stem cells, but seeing as Christianity seems to be a trump card and can some times over pass certain laws and seeing as most of america is christian, they might be able to influence people to their side. This of course does not mean that all atheist are not opposed to it or that all Christians say stems cell research is bad, but christian fundamentalist seem to be the majority when it comes to being against stem-cell research. So what if Christianity never had influence in america? Would america be the most advanced country in the world? How far would research be anyway?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2014, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 10:06 PM by Ace.)
RE: If religion did not exist, how much would we have achieved?
if the fundies are trying to stop it then it just adds more validity to continuing the research, after all the more beneficial it is the more the fundies oppose it Tongue
01-09-2014, 10:04 PM
(01-09-2014 10:02 PM)Ace Wrote:  if the fundies are trying to stop it then it just adds more validity to continuing the research, after all the more beneficial it is the more the fundies oppose it Tongue

Yeah that is true, seeing as abortion means teens can continue their lives after making the mistake of unprotected sex instead of ruining it raising a kid.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
01-09-2014, 10:35 PM
(01-09-2014 09:46 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Today while playing Pokemon I thought about stem-cells. I remember that many Christian fundamentalist say stem-cell research is wrong. However, stem-cells can help with illness and help people around the world. However those people are debating and saying that it is immoral to destroy some cells that won't know weather it is dead or alive in order to save someone or stop the research to save someone that has already has an experience. Well I know research is also under way for stem cells, but seeing as Christianity seems to be a trump card and can some times over pass certain laws and seeing as most of america is christian, they might be able to influence people to their side. This of course does not mean that all atheist are not opposed to it or that all Christians say stems cell research is bad, but christian fundamentalist seem to be the majority when it comes to being against stem-cell research. So what if Christianity never had influence in america? Would america be the most advanced country in the world? How far would research be anyway?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
01-09-2014, 10:42 PM
(01-09-2014 10:35 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 09:46 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Today while playing Pokemon I thought about stem-cells. I remember that many Christian fundamentalist say stem-cell research is wrong. However, stem-cells can help with illness and help people around the world. However those people are debating and saying that it is immoral to destroy some cells that won't know weather it is dead or alive in order to save someone or stop the research to save someone that has already has an experience. Well I know research is also under way for stem cells, but seeing as Christianity seems to be a trump card and can some times over pass certain laws and seeing as most of america is christian, they might be able to influence people to their side. This of course does not mean that all atheist are not opposed to it or that all Christians say stems cell research is bad, but christian fundamentalist seem to be the majority when it comes to being against stem-cell research. So what if Christianity never had influence in america? Would america be the most advanced country in the world? How far would research be anyway?

Can I say sky steak instead?

01-09-2014, 10:50 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Religion technically contributed to modernity as many scientists, themselves theists, strove to learn more about the mysteries of creation and made great discoveries in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology. Unfortunately, fundamentalists have thrown a monkey wrench into such scientific endeavors for centuries.

Science was king in the US during WWII; scientists were well funded and treated like gods because they possessed the knowledge to create the technology that would win us the war. This continued into the space race of the 1950s and 60s. It wasn't until the 1970s that the religious right began to influence politics. It's power grew in the 80s with the election of Reagan, and their influence has never stopped. A good book to read on the subject is The Republican War on Science (2005).

If the religious right had not set foot in politics in the 1970s, I imagine that our technology would have been at least a couple of decades more advanced and our country would still be on top in the subjects of math and science. Of course stem cell research would have been more advanced, too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
01-09-2014, 10:54 PM
(01-09-2014 10:35 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

My biological anthropology professor went to college with Patton Oswalt.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
01-09-2014, 11:14 PM
(01-09-2014 10:50 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I understand where you are coming from, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Religion technically contributed to modernity as many scientists, themselves theists, strove to learn more about the mysteries of creation and made great discoveries in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology. Unfortunately, fundamentalists have thrown a monkey wrench into such scientific endeavors for centuries.

Science was king in the US during WWII; scientists were well funded and treated like gods because they possessed the knowledge to create the technology that would win us the war. This continued into the space race of the 1950s and 60s. It wasn't until the 1970s that the religious right began to influence politics. It's power grew in the 80s with the election of Reagan, and their influence has never stopped. A good book to read on the subject is The Republican War on Science (2005).

If the religious right had not set foot in politics in the 1970s, I imagine that our technology would have been at least a couple of decades more advanced and our country would still be on top in the subjects of math and science. Of course stem cell research would have been more advanced, too.

Make sense, religion was good at the start then.

02-09-2014, 12:04 AM
It was probably necessary to get things going, but now and days. It is just a detriment to society and progression.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
03-09-2014, 09:57 AM
It's an evolutionary hangover in my view - indeed religion was our earliest form of science. This leads me to the debate question...

"If science came from religion why is there still religion?"

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post