If religion did not exist, how much would we have achieved?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2014, 10:17 AM
RE: If religion did not exist, how much would we have achieved?
We'd be much further ahead than we are now and gotten there a lot faster.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
03-09-2014, 01:29 PM
(01-09-2014 10:42 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 10:35 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Can I say sky steak instead?

Sky beer for me...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
03-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I want sky Nachos.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2014, 01:37 PM
All you can eat sky buffet

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
03-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Sky chicken.
03-09-2014, 02:50 PM
(03-09-2014 01:35 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I want sky Nachos.

After I made this post, I went out and got Super Nachoes from a mexican restaurant.

...Cuz I wanted Nachos and I knew that no matter how hard I prayed. They would never come unless I got off my lazy ass and got them myself.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
03-09-2014, 03:34 PM
(01-09-2014 11:14 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 10:50 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I understand where you are coming from, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Religion technically contributed to modernity as many scientists, themselves theists, strove to learn more about the mysteries of creation and made great discoveries in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology. Unfortunately, fundamentalists have thrown a monkey wrench into such scientific endeavors for centuries.

Science was king in the US during WWII; scientists were well funded and treated like gods because they possessed the knowledge to create the technology that would win us the war. This continued into the space race of the 1950s and 60s. It wasn't until the 1970s that the religious right began to influence politics. It's power grew in the 80s with the election of Reagan, and their influence has never stopped. A good book to read on the subject is The Republican War on Science (2005).

If the religious right had not set foot in politics in the 1970s, I imagine that our technology would have been at least a couple of decades more advanced and our country would still be on top in the subjects of math and science. Of course stem cell research would have been more advanced, too.

Make sense, religion was good at the start then.

Don't forget that in centuries past, starting in the fourth, many Christians were intolerant, zealous, greedy and violent. They slaughtered or imprisoned those they called infidels, heathens or heretics, and set alight all libraries and literature they disliked. Ponder over the role they played in the hatred and bitterness, the persecutions, the cruel wars, the taking of people’s assets, the sale of indulgences, the breaking up of families, and the resistance to science and medicine. Then think how they founded schools, and the indoctrination of youngsters with songs, prayers and Christian instruction. Consider the callous cover-ups of sexual abuse. Reflect on how they’ve always tried to tell people what to think and how to behave using promises of heaven and threats of hell.

Christian churches, inspired by greed, have been at war with science and humanity throughout most of their history. They’ve supported many social evils – wicked monarchies, slavery, racism, the oppression of women, homophobia, child labor and pedophilia. They’ve used indoctrination, lies, threats, wars, slavery, torture and murder pursuing power and money. This behavior has been far more terrifying and bloody than that of all the other religions of the world combined. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZUk9umGbH0,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwWXEV7MHgc). Today’s Islamic terrorists are pussies in comparison.

Christianity launched Europe into the dark ages, and kept it there for hundreds of years, and thereby derailed the social, moral, and scientific progress of much of mankind. (http://www.evolutionary-metaphysics.net/...ity.html). Without Christianity, we would now be far more scientifically and ethically advanced than we are today.
03-09-2014, 03:48 PM
if religion did not exist we would not have had troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and the World Trade Centers would still exist.

there would be more people in the world because there would be more sex and all the young people that died in religious wars would have had more time to procreate.