If someone invites you to Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 10:53 PM
If someone invites you to Church
and you explain it isn't your thing, but thanks anyway, do they get hurt? I mean beyond the normal "Oh yeah I can't make it" kind of disappointment.

I'm sure they genuinely want to share their experience with you but because it is more personal does that mean declining is inherently more hurtful.

Only reason I ask is that I have told my flatmates, brothers ex partner that she can come and live with us in our Den of Iniquity if she finds she is in a bit of a bind if the place she is renting is sold and she has nowhere else to go. She is absolutely lovely, the total opposite of me, but she is very much into her church and I know she is going to ask if I want to come with her.

She is a bit fragile at the moment. I don't want to seem dismissive, but I think it would be even worse if I did go under the pretext of being supportive and then it developed into some kind of conversation about faith and the lack of it because I know how important it is to her.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 12:04 AM
RE: If someone invites you to Church
Schedule all of any appointments with medical doctors on that day.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
15-02-2014, 12:12 AM
I would be honest, because when someone is going through turmoil the last thing they need is a dishonest friend- I think that would cut a little deeper. Doesn't mean you can't say it with empathy or kindness, in a caring way.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
15-02-2014, 12:13 AM
My response is usually as follows:

"Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Are you sure you want me there? You know it's not gonna end well, don't you?"

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
15-02-2014, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I get asked to attend church with people often. Typically just shrug them off. If you don't have the stomach to tell them it's not your thing, just tell them you've got stuff going on.

However, honesty remains key.
15-02-2014, 04:50 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2014 06:58 AM by Mathilda.)
You could say that you were taken to a church once as a small child and this happened.

[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
15-02-2014, 06:44 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2014 06:48 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(15-02-2014 12:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My response is usually as follows:

"Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Are you sure you want me there? You know it's not gonna end well, don't you?"

^This.

While it's been awhile since the last time I ventured into a church, I do from time to time get stuck at funerals. During the last one the preacher kept going on and on about how we needed to share our pain for the lose of a loved one, and to 'sympathize' with each other. He kept using the word 'sympathize' over and over to make his points, and after a few minutes and about the dozenth iteration it was all I could do to not yet out 'It's empathy you dumb motherfucker!' Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
15-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Imagine the reaction they would have if you offered them a copy of "The God Delusion" to read.

Go with that.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
15-02-2014, 03:00 PM
(15-02-2014 04:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  You could say that you were taken to a church once as a small child and this happened.

It's OK, my mom had me checked. I have three nines so it's all good Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
15-02-2014, 03:09 PM
My mom has asked me to go several times and I know that it hurts her when I decline the invitation. I've only been asked one other time. A woman who went to the same church as I did asked me why she hadn't seen me there. I didn't remember her and at the time she asked I hadn't been to church in 2 years. I just used a busy schedule as an excuse.