If someone invites you to Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 08:54 AM
RE: If someone invites you to Church
If she does ask you go with my patented reply:

"I have a personal code never to discuss religion or politics except with my closest friends".

To date I have never had anyone persue the topic after saying this. I think it is tactful and at the same time lets the person know where they stand in your world.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2014, 09:38 AM
I would *****slap that motherfireturcker for ever asking someone to church without knowing their religion.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
18-02-2014, 01:49 AM
But if you are, for whatever reason, obliged to go, take this with you and have some fun.
[Image: c3aUH.png]

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
18-02-2014, 08:18 AM
(18-02-2014 01:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  But if you are, for whatever reason, obliged to go, take this with you and have some fun.
[Image: c3aUH.png]

And be sure to call out "Bingo!" when you get one. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-02-2014, 10:53 AM
(14-02-2014 10:53 PM)Pippen Wrote:  and you explain it isn't your thing, but thanks anyway, do they get hurt? I mean beyond the normal "Oh yeah I can't make it" kind of disappointment.

I'm sure they genuinely want to share their experience with you but because it is more personal does that mean declining is inherently more hurtful.

Only reason I ask is that I have told my flatmates, brothers ex partner that she can come and live with us in our Den of Iniquity if she finds she is in a bit of a bind if the place she is renting is sold and she has nowhere else to go. She is absolutely lovely, the total opposite of me, but she is very much into her church and I know she is going to ask if I want to come with her.

She is a bit fragile at the moment. I don't want to seem dismissive, but I think it would be even worse if I did go under the pretext of being supportive and then it developed into some kind of conversation about faith and the lack of it because I know how important it is to her.

I think if you make it clear that your declining to go is about you and not her that it won't hurt her. Just make sure she knows it isn't personal at all but you and church don't fit and that it has nothing to do with the two of you. I for sure wouldn't delay by saying "hmmm maybe next time" or "Oh sorry I have plans that day" because she will just keep trying for a future sunday.

http://iamtheclosetatheist.blogspot.com/
23-02-2014, 02:29 PM
If she asks, let her know that you and she have different ideologies and thank her for considering you.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
23-02-2014, 04:04 PM
(18-02-2014 10:53 AM)Pearl Wrote:  I think if you make it clear that your declining to go is about you and not her that it won't hurt her. Just make sure she knows it isn't personal at all but you and church don't fit and that it has nothing to do with the two of you. I for sure wouldn't delay by saying "hmmm maybe next time" or "Oh sorry I have plans that day" because she will just keep trying for a future sunday.

This. Sometimes, lying about being busy can be useful, but if the person is likely to just keep trying every week, it's going to be a problem in the long run. Easier to just be honest.

What I say depends on the person who's asking, but it is always a variant of "I'm not religious."
24-02-2014, 12:55 PM
If someone asks you to go to their church you simply tell them it's against your religion...* Ba-dump-pssh...
24-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Some years ago when I started seeing my wife she was a regular church goer. She was quite aware of my atheist views but after a few months asked me to go along with her.
I went maybe 3 or 4 times I think to give it a chance but nothing really grabbed me so that was that. Her visits dropped off and now it's forgotten. I showed her a different way to look at life and the universe and the rest is history - married 11 years.

Not sure what point I'm making really. I was keen to nail her so went along with her! That sounds bad but all's well that ends well. She is agnostic now, at least how I interpret her viewpoint now.

Using Tapatalk