Poll: If the Bible was true would you reject GOD/JESUS on moral grounds
YES
NO
[Show Results]

If the Bible was true, would you reject GOD ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2013, 02:32 AM
RE: If the Bible was true, would you reject GOD ?
(18-11-2013 12:55 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  If the bible was true...hmm. I was so conflicted about the bible even back when I was a Christian. It is so confusing and it contradicts itself so much. I don't know how to answer the question, because I can't wrap my mind around the possibility of the entire thing being true. Either one half or the other, but not the whole thing. In the end I guess I would reject god if the bible were true. If nothing more than for the obvious fact that that he suffers from a severe case of multiple personalities and most of his alters are sick and demented.

This sort of identifies the point, the bible contradicts itself so much (as do all holy texts) and has been lost in translation so many times.

I dont think the bible can ever be true, as it is a document that has been manipulated to serve purposes other than what it is sold for.

If it was rewritten to a true document, if there really was a god, and solid proof popped up, and if I didnt have to serve someone other than this God, then there is the chance I would accept him and follow whatever teachings he/she gives.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PursuingTruth's post
18-11-2013, 03:59 AM
The God of the Bible can't be true as written, because the book (and it's god) are a mess of contradictions. Reject him? What is there to be rejected other than a conceptual mess? I have no problem rejecting that. Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-11-2013, 04:06 AM
(18-11-2013 02:32 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  
(18-11-2013 12:55 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  If the bible was true...hmm. I was so conflicted about the bible even back when I was a Christian. It is so confusing and it contradicts itself so much. I don't know how to answer the question, because I can't wrap my mind around the possibility of the entire thing being true. Either one half or the other, but not the whole thing. In the end I guess I would reject god if the bible were true. If nothing more than for the obvious fact that that he suffers from a severe case of multiple personalities and most of his alters are sick and demented.

This sort of identifies the point, the bible contradicts itself so much (as do all holy texts) and has been lost in translation so many times.

I dont think the bible can ever be true, as it is a document that has been manipulated to serve purposes other than what it is sold for.

If it was rewritten to a true document, if there really was a god, and solid proof popped up, and if I didnt have to serve someone other than this God, then there is the chance I would accept him and follow whatever teachings he/she gives.
I just couldn't submit to being a slave, but who knows. I'm sure not many Nazis were evil, yet 99% of them turned a blind eye to their Lords atrocities out of self preservation..
Considering Yahwey's evil tendencies and perverse antisemitism. Heaven could be a pampered nazi officer and Hell is a Jew.

How similar is Nazi Germany to what the fascist Christians want to achieve, no gays, no Jews (blamed for killing Jesus), barely concealed tolerance for black people (after evolution is driven from schools I'm sure the next mission from god is to put the blacks back in the cotton fields), force people to follow their rules or else, fascism = the desired theocracy. And apparently sponsored by god/jesus .

http://www.publiceye.org/ifas/fw/9405/antisemitism.html
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...-near-you/

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
18-11-2013, 04:27 AM
I wouldn't reject God on moral grounds. A literal, eternal hell is enough of a disincentive to get me to fall in line.

However, if the choice was to reject God and just be dead forever, or worship him and spend eternity in heaven, then I would reject God on moral grounds.

So for me I guess the decision would be based on the severity of the punishment I expected. It might be interesting to figure out the tipping point, but eternal torture is clearly beyond it. It is also interesting to think about how good and benevolent a god could be to require such extreme measures to get people to worship him. If God was really as cool as Christians claim, it seems like Hell wouldn't be necessary.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
18-11-2013, 05:00 AM
1. Check and re-check the information. Is it trustable?
2. If it is time to have a CT scan since I may have brain cancer
3. If I am not insane/ sick, I am sure I am in a universe with bent moral vaules/ Laws of physics
4. Make a wormhole asap to head home.

I got Dysgraphia and i am not living in the US so plz forgive my poor english.
18-11-2013, 05:29 AM
(18-11-2013 05:00 AM)bustead Wrote:  4. Make a wormhole asap to head home.

Don't forget your magic underwear Tongue
http://www.top10craziestmormonbeliefs.com/a/93

18-11-2013, 09:54 AM
I refuse to vote because the question is "backward".

It should have been - IMHO - If god/jesus were a fact, would you reject the bible?

Had that been asked, I would have responded "Yes".

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
18-11-2013, 10:26 AM
(18-11-2013 09:54 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  I refuse to vote because the question is "backward".

It should have been - IMHO - If god/jesus were a fact, would you reject the bible?

Had that been asked, I would have responded "Yes".

That makes no sense, as you would have to ask God first if the bible was false, why would you reject it without knowing ?
if it is false, that fact would negate the need to reject it.
If it is true then you are saying you would ignore the crimes it documents ?

18-11-2013, 10:42 AM
(18-11-2013 01:05 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(18-11-2013 12:58 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  If Yahweh existed, then so would the Olympians, the gods of Norse, and all other beings. While they burn in hell, I will enlist their help, to help each other break out of hell, and gather our power and use it in a last stand to defeat the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, Moses, Muhammad, Joseph Smith, and the other Abrahamic prophets.

If I get my own "viper" then I'll join the rebellion.

I'll have Hephaestus whip you up one of those.
18-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Worship is not my thing, but plotting to overthrow the incumbent would be a great deal of fun.