If there was a creator

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2015, 01:17 PM
RE: If there was a creator
I'd venture to say I'm about as open-minded as it's possible for a human to be. That said, I don't have a lot of tolerance for people who express "opinions" that are in direct conflict with what we do know for sure about the nature of our world. There is an internet culture (part of the broader culture) concept that strongly suggests that being "open minded" means giving each opinion equal respect, inherent equal value, so if you call someone's opinion foolishness you're being "closed-minded". This is ridiculous!

I carefully consider each idea that is presented to me, but if someone makes a statement about science that is in fact in conflict with well-known concepts in science, I'm going to respond the same way every time: GO READ A FUCKING BOOK.

If they persist in pushing an opinion that is demonstrably false, I'm going to get progressively less kind to them about it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2015, 01:27 PM
(23-08-2015 01:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'd venture to say I'm about as open-minded as it's possible for a human to be. That said, I don't have a lot of tolerance for people who express "opinions" that are in direct conflict with what we do know for sure about the nature of our world. There is an internet culture (part of the broader culture) concept that strongly suggests that being "open minded" means giving each opinion equal respect, inherent equal value, so if you call someone's opinion foolishness you're being "closed-minded". This is ridiculous!

Absolutely.

If someone is being a complete idiot, there is no reason to give their opinion equal respect. Free speech protects your right to be an idiot, but it also protects everyone else's right to tell you exactly how fucking stupid you are.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
23-08-2015, 01:29 PM
(23-08-2015 12:53 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 11:39 PM)BornAgainAtheist Wrote:  Very recently there has been a new theory that the universe is an eternal liquid with no actual beginning or end, and our observable space is an eddy in the flow.

Actually sounded more plausible to me than a compact singularity suddenly expanding into infinity, because that means the universe is a ball with an outer surface past which is nothing.

But science is still expanding it knowledge on such things. Smile

Interesting that you have an open mind. You won't find a whole lot of that around here. You'll find some, but not as much as you might expect based on the title of the site.

Says the theist who hasn't a clue what an open mind actually is. The closest you will ever get to opening your mind is if you bang yourself over the head and get amnesia about all the stupid shit you've proposed on this forum.

Maybe then, with your new found non theistic mind, you could re-read the crap you post and laugh at yourself, like we do.

Drinking Beverage

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
23-08-2015, 05:01 PM
(23-08-2015 01:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'd venture to say I'm about as open-minded as it's possible for a human to be. That said, I don't have a lot of tolerance for people who express "opinions" that are in direct conflict with what we do know for sure about the nature of our world. There is an internet culture (part of the broader culture) concept that strongly suggests that being "open minded" means giving each opinion equal respect, inherent equal value, so if you call someone's opinion foolishness you're being "closed-minded". This is ridiculous!

I carefully consider each idea that is presented to me, but if someone makes a statement about science that is in fact in conflict with well-known concepts in science, I'm going to respond the same way every time: GO READ A FUCKING BOOK.

If they persist in pushing an opinion that is demonstrably false, I'm going to get progressively less kind to them about it.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you're close-minded. I generally very much enjoy your contributions. I guess I'm just a little disappointed in some of the membership here. I didn't expect to find so much lack of decency and reason (talking about other threads) amongst a bunch non-religious people on a site called the thinking atheist.

I guess my only suggestion is that we show a slight bit of sympathy for those who believe differently than us. I didn't take Bornagainatheist's post to be overly preachy, and thought that the response was a bit harsh. He/she is a new member, and I don't see much point in pushing him/her away.

Anyways, I don't think you're close-minded. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post