If there was actual evidence that we were the product of intelligent design

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2014, 08:55 PM
RE: If there was actual evidence that we were the product of intelligent design
(17-12-2014 08:27 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(17-12-2014 08:19 PM)The Drake Wrote:  What happens when their pseudoscience is given an explanation ?

I think they tend to keep pushing the pseudoscience and than disregard everything else as false.

The prime example of this is Ken Ham's Creation museum. There is Science which is "mans word" vs "God's Word" the bible.

The bible "teaches" us that the world is only something like 4000 years old. Therefor that is the truth. They pay a Christian scientist to think up or come up with something that resembles science and present it as a fact. Using the appeal to authority fallacy, we can now see that they have a scientific authority to relate to their evidence giving it "validity?" ....is that the right word? Give credit or proof or weight to it?

Therefor, because all these other scientists say X is wrong because of reasons, they just have to fall back on the, oh well, that is just mans word and not gods word therefor it is wrong and we are right argument.

It basically goes like that.

There is only one word that describes the Hammster...shyster. Thankfully the state of Kentucky found it their right mind to deny his organization any further public funds. But I feel for the young impressionable minds, whose parents drag them there to see the "Jurassic Jesus"..."Cretaceous Christ". Holy fuck-knuckles ! How stupid can we get ?

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Hmmm... if we were the products of intelligent design, eh? I fear that's hardly possible. God's like an Indian civil engineer when it comes to designing human bodies. Who else would put the waterworks and sewage disposal so close to the playground?

Doc
[+] 5 users Like docskeptic's post
17-12-2014, 09:05 PM
(17-12-2014 08:06 PM)The Drake Wrote:  In all of their searching and "scientific" endeavors, if fundies were to come across actual evidence...then I don't think they would accept it. It would ruin the "MAGIC". I'd like everyone's thoughts on this please.

I think you're right...

For them its all about the chase, the mystery and the unique bond that members minority fringe beliefs/groups enjoy.

Its the same for conspiracy theorists... They like to think of themselves as being part of an underground resistance. If their views became mainstream, they'd probably move on to something else.

I guess we're guilty of a similar sort of thing here... We like to see the atheism/theism debate as an 'us and them' scenario, with "us" as the resistance against the religious "them".

I don't understand what it is about humans to want to appear to be persecuted... It seems to be universal. When people start talking about their childhood, and how the younger generation "don't know they're born", and how "lucky" they are... Okay, I can understand those who lived through the Great Depression and WW2 saying that. But my generation's parents grew up in the fucking '80s! Fucking "greed is good", hedonistic, Ayn Rand rubbing her Fountain Head, BOOM TIME!

Sometimes I half expect to hear them talk about the (in Yorkshire accent)...

"Christmas truce of 1986... when for't one after'tnoon, we stop't tradin'. We wen' tout onter't stock exchange floor, an' played game o' Granny Footsteps. Burrit din't last... Within 'alf an 'our, we were back tradin' shares. But for't one blissful moment, the market seemed so far away... Lest we forget, those 'oo gave their lives in the name of capitalism. They traded, so that we may consume. And so, at the closing of the market, and at the opening, we will remember them."

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
17-12-2014, 09:16 PM
(17-12-2014 08:36 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Even if we were presented with "magical" evidence. Evidence that is extraordinary and cannot be explained by science.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke

We would just chalk it up to, let's keep analyzing it until we figure it out. Even if it takes until the end of the universe and beyond we would keep at it until the end of time until science explains this high level of tech.....I mean magic.

SHHHHHH !!! Don't quote the GOD of hard sci-fi.No People might think he's a prophet.Bowing

17-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Do you mean evidence that we came from aliens?

If such evidence were to present itself, they would just say god made the aliens and reinterpret their scriptures to accommodate the evidence and pretend that it said that all along.

We already see that with the bizarre creation variations from theists on this forum. If it's too much to swallow, reinterpret to match science better and blow smoke about it being the true interpretation.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
17-12-2014, 09:32 PM
(17-12-2014 09:02 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Hmmm... if we were the products of intelligent design, eh? I fear that's hardly possible. God's like an Indian civil engineer when it comes to designing human bodies. Who else would put the waterworks and sewage disposal so close to the playground?

Doc

Doc that's actually a punch-line to a joke I've heard...and a perfect example of evolution.

17-12-2014, 09:38 PM
(17-12-2014 09:28 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Do you mean evidence that we came from aliens?

If such evidence were to present itself, they would just say god made the aliens and reinterpret their scriptures to accommodate the evidence and pretend that it said that all along.

We already see that with the bizarre creation variations from theists on this forum. If it's too much to swallow, reinterpret to match science better and blow smoke about it being the true interpretation.

That's what I'd be afraid of. And then would they therefor try to convert the aliens ? "This was "GAWD'S" plan all along ?

17-12-2014, 09:47 PM
A really omnipotent deity could have made life arise from a rock.

If a deity could only make life arise from a complex design that goes haywire as much as the onles we know, it's a piss-poor excuse for a god.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Even if there was a creator, who's to say that it explicitly has to be a Judeo-Christian one?
17-12-2014, 09:59 PM
(17-12-2014 09:49 PM)Bear100 Wrote:  Even if there was a creator, who's to say that it explicitly has to be a Judeo-Christian one?

“Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn." Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post