If there was actual evidence that we were the product of intelligent design

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2015, 05:52 PM
RE: If there was actual evidence that we were the product of intelligent design
(11-06-2015 05:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-06-2015 04:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bullshit. Show me one not found in nature.

Someone doesn't seem to understand what crystalline materials are I guess. Drinking Beverage

They are magically symmetrical things, right?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2015, 06:02 PM
If there was actual evidence that we were the product of intelligent design
(11-06-2015 05:52 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(11-06-2015 05:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Someone doesn't seem to understand what crystalline materials are I guess. Drinking Beverage

They are magically symmetrical things, right?

It's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
12-06-2015, 11:07 AM
(11-06-2015 12:27 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't think these stories were written to explain how the pillars arose, rather than the pillars serving as a prop in the story, but that's beside the point here.

I would have to disagree with you there. Ancient people came up with stories all the time about how things got the way they are.
How the star's were arrange by the gods to honor fallen heroes, or beast of legend.

How things went missing because a gnome or elf stole it.

Heck you may have even heard of many origin story's such the one with the talking snake and the forbidden fruit in the magic garden.

Many of these story's people still believe to this day!

I remember a story a few years back about a highway being canceled in Iceland to protect a Elf habitat.

http://gizmodo.com/icelanders-stop-work-...1488620878

This is with modern people. With modern thinking minds. So I wouldn't put it past ancient Ireland peoples to really believe these where made by giants.

(11-06-2015 12:27 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  If I show'd you a picture ... Without any further information, are you able to infer that this was designed, and not a purely natural occurrence?

Yes. I would say that this would be man made. My father, brothers, and I have made a very similar one at my parents backyard.

(On a side note. If you took the picture. Did you make it? It's very nice. )

But I would also say I've seen cobble stone walk ways that are hard to distinguish from normal ground stones.

I can't post any because my computer wont allow me to copy the pictures for some reason. but it you look at the walk ways of Pompeii. You will see their set up in the same fashion as the columns are when laying flat.

This is a picture of a formation in Cape Stolbchaty, Russia.
[Image: Cape_Stolbchaty.jpg]

Flat like a road. But not man made.

If you've ever been to New York City. (If you haven't do it at least once in your life.) You'll know about Central Park.

[Image: Central-Park.jpg]

[Image: 1-Rachel-Fawn-Alban_Untapped-Cities_New-...Grotto.jpg]

[Image: central-park_450.jpg]

Every stone, every river, every blade of grass, every thing in the park.Was put there by man. Originally it was just a swamp. The swamp was torn up, and men came in dug lakes put up pipes for water flow, moved dirt, and planted every tree and flower. This park was man made. Rocks were brought in and many of the rocks aren't even real. They hide employee only locations. But it would be a challenge to distinguish between the two.

A lot of people don't know this. They think the park was just a location they built around. Or haven't given it any thought.

Let me tap upon the popalur annalogy

You're walking along and finding a watch on a beach and we can tell it was made by a man or some designer.

But instead of a watch. Which many of us know, or have seen before. Let's say it's an Orb. One that looks to be made of crystal. It's completely smooth. and doesn't look like anything else in the surrounding area.

[Image: Rare-Water-Clear-Blue-Rutiles-Crystal-Ba...agasca.jpg]

You may think this was made in some sort of factory, blown from glass. Or you can think it was a stone smoothed out by years of rubbing against the sand. Or maybe it's a massive pearl. Or an even more extreme. It's an alien artifact made from a alien material used as a time keeping device. You have no real way of knowing.
All you have is your own reasoning skills. You could be wrong.

[Image: joedirt.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
12-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Commonsensei,

In a bare outline, how does one establish the presence of an intelligence or even just life, on a remote planet?

Why do I ask this?

From some of the arguments I have seen here, without taking sides, this would seem impossible without properly identifying and characterizing a putative alien. Is that correct?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
12-06-2015, 12:45 PM
(12-06-2015 11:43 AM)tomilay Wrote:  Commonsensei,

In a bare outline, how does one establish the presence of an intelligence or even just life, on a remote planet?

Why do I ask this?

From some of the arguments I have seen here, without taking sides, this would seem impossible without properly identifying and characterizing a putative alien. Is that correct?

Well that's the big question isn't. The Fermi Paradox.

But i'm not making the clam that I know for certain. That is the point of my statement. What can we use to distinguish between. Something complex man made and something complex nature made. The alien comment is just an extreme out there idea. Similar to your coke bottle statement. The "Watch on the beach" is often used as a statement of" We can see a watch on the beach and know it had a creator. A complex devise. So why can't we look at the complexity of life and see that had a divine creator."

Which is why i put the Joe Dirt image on the bottom. He thought it was a space rock. But in reality it was a frozen turd from a plane.

But a response to the question.
In a barest out line i can muster. The obverable universe it about 90bil light years wide. Filled with ruffly 100bil Galaxies, each filled with 1tril stars. With a indeterminable amount of planets revolving around them. The universe is about 14 billion years old. Our solar system is about 4.5 billion years old. and life on out planet (from the earliset fossils) would be 3 billion years.

We have found life on this planet that can come out of the most unpredictable places. Weather it be the deepest part of the ocean, with standing 9000lbs of pressure. As well as a animal called the Tardigrade able to survive in absolute zero temperatures, ionizing radiation, boiling water and the vacuum of outer space. They can also survive up to 10 years without food or water.

Now statistically, with these numbers all in mind. What do you think the chances are that life can only come about once?

Usually where there's water there is life. We'll find out how this plays out when we get a prob to Europa. Now as far as intelligence life goes. I feel that statistically it's out there. I just don't think it ever visited us.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
12-06-2015, 09:24 PM
(28-04-2015 11:51 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  
(17-12-2014 08:06 PM)The Drake Wrote:  In all of their searching and "scientific" endeavors, if fundies were to come across actual evidence...then I don't think they would accept it. It would ruin the "MAGIC". I'd like everyone's thoughts on this please.

To the OP's philosophical scenario, if they found this evidence they would cherry pick what they like from it and tap dance around the stuff they don't like, much like they do with evolution.

That's my guess

That's about it. There would still have to be some sort of divine intervention from their grand wizard of creation.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
12-06-2015, 09:36 PM
(12-06-2015 12:45 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  [quote='tomilay' pid='796866' dateline='1434131030']
Commonsensei,

Which is why i put the Joe Dirt image on the bottom. He thought it was a space rock. But in reality it was a frozen turd from a plane.

Which shows the disconnect that Hollywood has with reality. Any self respecting Redneck would know, that something that color of blue, came from a PORTA-JOHN.

12-06-2015, 09:42 PM
(12-06-2015 09:36 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 12:45 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  [quote='tomilay' pid='796866' dateline='1434131030']
Commonsensei,

Which shows the disconnect that Hollywood has with reality. Any self respecting Redneck would know, that something that color of blue, came from a PORTA-JOHN.

Whether it was flying, or behind the giant slide next to the "Tilt-A-Whirl" operated by the guy with the uni-brow.

12-06-2015, 09:44 PM
The idea from fundamentalists is that all aspects of their beliefs are taken on "faith" (ie. lack of evidence). To present some sort of proof of a supreme being would probably be taken as a form of deception from satan. Fact type thingies ruin the fantasy.
13-06-2015, 08:40 AM
(12-06-2015 09:42 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 09:36 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Which shows the disconnect that Hollywood has with reality. Any self respecting Redneck would know, that something that color of blue, came from a PORTA-JOHN.

Whether it was flying, or behind the giant slide next to the "Tilt-A-Whirl" operated by the guy with the uni-brow.

Yeah, but it would be hard to argue if it had a Space Peanut in it.