If there was actual evidence that we were the product of intelligent design

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2015, 05:58 AM
RE: If there was actual evidence that we were the product of intelligent design
Answered question and I cannot delete this post!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2015, 05:59 AM
(09-06-2015 05:57 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 05:16 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Did you read it?
No.

Finally an honest answer.

May I ask, why are you here?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
09-06-2015, 06:17 AM
(09-06-2015 04:19 AM)tomilay Wrote:  I am familiar with that response.

But I have trouble extrapolating it to the universe as a whole.

It feels like a cop out.

It's not a cop out. The cop out is shifting the goal posts to say the universe is a closed system when talking about evolution on earth.

If you want to talk about life on earth, then don't shift the goal posts. No one is positing that life is miraculously "happening" out in the dead of space where there is no matter.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
09-06-2015, 06:24 AM
(09-06-2015 05:59 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 05:57 AM)tomilay Wrote:  No.

Finally an honest answer.

May I ask, why are you here?
I like the website.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
09-06-2015, 06:26 AM
I note you introduced yourself as an atheist, but seem to be coming at this from the perspective of a theist. Am I incorrect to assume you are a theist?

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-06-2015, 06:32 AM
(09-06-2015 06:17 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 04:19 AM)tomilay Wrote:  I am familiar with that response.

But I have trouble extrapolating it to the universe as a whole.

It feels like a cop out.

It's not a cop out. The cop out is shifting the goal posts to say the universe is a closed system when talking about evolution on earth.

If you want to talk about life on earth, then don't shift the goal posts. No one is positing that life is miraculously "happening" out in the dead of space where there is no matter.
Personally I would not be surprised to find life outside of earth. If you subscribe to the mediocrity principle, that seems like a reasonable position.

I am saying I don't understand how life reconciles in with the second law.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
09-06-2015, 06:33 AM
(09-06-2015 06:26 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I note you introduced yourself as an atheist, but seem to be coming at this from the perspective of a theist. Am I incorrect to assume you are a theist?
I am an atheist. But being on this forum, I rather like to come at it from a somewhat neutral perspective to generate interesting discussion.

09-06-2015, 06:39 AM
I like this explanation here http://physics.gmu.edu/~roerter/EvolutionEntropy.htm. Life forms in pockets which does not violate the second law.

09-06-2015, 06:40 AM
(09-06-2015 06:32 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 06:17 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It's not a cop out. The cop out is shifting the goal posts to say the universe is a closed system when talking about evolution on earth.

Personally I would not be surprised to find life outside of earth. If you subscribe to the mediocrity principle, that seems like a reasonable position.

I am saying I don't understand how life reconciles in with the second law.

You don't understand the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

No planet is a closed system, therefore the Second Law does not apply to it alone.

The order generated by life is balanced by the disorder created by the star becoming more disordered.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-06-2015, 06:40 AM
(08-06-2015 09:43 PM)tomilay Wrote:  I have seen one that suggests that you are not going to get a Ferrari from mindless interaction of matter. A fair point.

No, it isn't. It compares evolution of living organisms to inanimate materials. There is no point there.

Quote:For me though. Life itself would seem to demand an explanation. Why? Because it seems to not sit well with the second law of thermodynamics.

Then you don't understand the concepts of abiogenesis, evolution, and/or the second law. Do some reading and come back when you have a better grasp of them.

Quote:I am saying I don't understand how life reconciles in with the second law.

Point to an example of life that is in violation of the second law.

Quote:I am an atheist. But being on this forum, I rather like to come at it from a somewhat neutral perspective to generate interesting discussion.

You are parroting common theistic arguments, not being neutral, and we've heard it all way too many times.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP