If there were a hostile alien life form discovered close to Earth...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2012, 10:36 PM
If there were a hostile alien life form discovered close to Earth...
...do you think we would stop fighting so much with other humans?

When a common enemy is presented to mankind, would that not instinctively cause us to come together and set aside our differences in exchange for survival? I think the reason we're so hostile towards each other is largely boredom. We're stuck here on this giant rock with no other planets to interact with and so we make sh!t up to fight about, sort of like a stale relationship. You pick a fight over nothing, so that at least you can feel some emotion and have some excitement.

And so I think the next logical question is... how would we go about creating a race of hostile aliens and how do we send them to their planet (preferably the moon)? If it's agreed that we would become more peaceful and loving with each other if this were to happen, is it not then our moral obligation to make this happen?

I will be working on cross-breeding a scorpion with an armadillo (I'm aiming for a Zerg creature from Starcraft) in the meantime.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2012, 01:37 AM
RE: If there were a hostile alien life form discovered close to Earth...
I believe that yes, if a hostile alien species were discovered and posed an imminent threat, most of the world would come together to fight our common enemy. Would that cooperation last even after the threat is gone? I sadly doubt it. We might not squabble over the issues we did previous, but people would find something somewhere.

What interests me more is, how many and who do you believe wouldn't cooperate? How many would worship these aliens as gods? Do you think some would work with the aliens? Would some commit suicide after learning their god(s) didn't create only us in the universe? How would religions change to accommodate the fact that there are other forms of intelligent life? Would there be those who simply just didn't believe and would consider it all a hoax?

As to how we'd go about creating such a lifeform, it's simple. First you have to create one being to control and rule all the rest, an Overmind if you will. Next you'd have to give them the ability to absorb the DNA of other lifeforms and select and adapt the most advantageous of the traits...

Also, creating scorpadillos just seems lame. Make us some banelings! Tongue

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
[+] 3 users Like Zephony's post
02-04-2012, 04:47 AM

Shame he was a hippocritical twat.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
02-04-2012, 10:31 AM
This was the crux of Ozy's plan in Watchmen.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Now where's my crowbar and glock 17?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
02-04-2012, 04:27 PM
It happened all the time through human history, groups at war joined forces when a common enemy was presented, then continued the fight when they went away.

I think this scenario would be no different.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
02-04-2012, 05:56 PM
(01-04-2012 10:36 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ...do you think we would stop fighting so much with other humans?

When a common enemy is presented to mankind, would that not instinctively cause us to come together and set aside our differences in exchange for survival? I think the reason we're so hostile towards each other is largely boredom. We're stuck here on this giant rock with no other planets to interact with and so we make sh!t up to fight about, sort of like a stale relationship. You pick a fight over nothing, so that at least you can feel some emotion and have some excitement.

And so I think the next logical question is... how would we go about creating a race of hostile aliens and how do we send them to their planet (preferably the moon)? If it's agreed that we would become more peaceful and loving with each other if this were to happen, is it not then our moral obligation to make this happen?

I will be working on cross-breeding a scorpion with an armadillo (I'm aiming for a Zerg creature from Starcraft) in the meantime.

Sure. We'd have something brand new to fear and hate.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
02-04-2012, 06:50 PM
(02-04-2012 04:27 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  It happened all the time through human history, groups at war joined forces when a common enemy was presented, then continued the fight when they went away.

I think this scenario would be no different.
Depends how long the conflict lasts. If the fight continues for a couple generations then thats long enough to make all internal petty grudges fade away.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
02-04-2012, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 09:33 AM by Grassy Knoll.)
Like fighting children on a playground, war is inevitable. "Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us - then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir."
--Carl Sagan, "The Demon-Haunted World", pp. 26-27.

Someone must have been really bored when they made this:

[Image: tumblr_m02f79TW2v1qapjp8o1_500.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2012, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 12:05 AM by Humakt.)
(01-04-2012 10:36 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ...do you think we would stop fighting so much with other humans?

I think all of that is moot tbh, if an alien species was our common enemy they'd be an enemy technologically and scientifically advanced enough to have cracked interstellar travel so whatever we do isnt really relevant. And in the case of inventing them, they wouldnt be alien. Although my personal choice would be a beserker type, von Neumann machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_machine

(02-04-2012 05:56 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Sure. We'd have something brand new to fear and hate.
YAY!!!! bout time Smile

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user