If there were a hostile alien life form discovered close to Earth...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2012, 12:20 AM
RE: If there were a hostile alien life form discovered close to Earth...
If we could agree (as people of earth) as to what action should be taken then maybe but if not, we'd be wiped out before we got started Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm not sure that it's true to say that people banded together in the past against hostile invaders. Often subsets of the local population split apart and joined the invaders. I think this would happen if any interstellar threat were to emerge. Some would pull together, while others split apart and try to make deals with the invaders.
11-04-2012, 08:26 AM
The world blames gay sex for alien invasion. Gays sent as the front line defense force.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
11-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I'd have to say no.

During WWI and WWII Britain was put in massive danger of being destroyed by the axis powers, however the Irish were too busy trying to continue their generational violence against England to care. So they went underground and the majority escaped from having to fight the common enemy in favour of fighting the old enemy.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
11-04-2012, 09:06 AM
(11-04-2012 08:26 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  The world blames gay sex for alien invasion. Gays sent as the front line defense force.
And Lilith goes all William Wallace on their asses.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
11-04-2012, 11:36 AM
(11-04-2012 08:56 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I'd have to say no.

During WWI and WWII Britain was put in massive danger of being destroyed by the axis powers, however the Irish were too busy trying to continue their generational violence against England to care. So they went underground and the majority escaped from having to fight the common enemy in favour of fighting the old enemy.
The irish to which you refer, did not consider Germany as their enemy and in fact helped the Germans in this case the common enemy in question would be Engalnd.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2012, 01:26 PM
(11-04-2012 11:36 AM)Humakt Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 08:56 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I'd have to say no.

The irish to which you refer, did not consider Germany as their enemy and in fact helped the Germans in this case the common enemy in question would be Engalnd.
Part of the point; why I don't think an alien invasion would unite earth Thumbsup

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
11-04-2012, 02:25 PM
(02-04-2012 06:50 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(02-04-2012 04:27 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  It happened all the time through human history, groups at war joined forces when a common enemy was presented, then continued the fight when they went away.

I think this scenario would be no different.
Depends how long the conflict lasts. If the fight continues for a couple generations then thats long enough to make all internal petty grudges fade away.
Maybe, but then someone in the internal would betray and switch to the alien side for personal gain (matrix! Big Grin )
11-04-2012, 03:17 PM
(01-04-2012 10:36 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I will be working on cross-breeding a scorpion with an armadillo (I'm aiming for a Zerg creature from Starcraft) in the meantime.

OMG WTF LOL Zerg Rush!!!

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
11-04-2012, 04:27 PM
(11-04-2012 01:26 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 11:36 AM)Humakt Wrote:  The irish to which you refer, did not consider Germany as their enemy and in fact helped the Germans in this case the common enemy in question would be Engalnd.
Part of the point; why I don't think an alien invasion would unite earth Thumbsup
OK, I can follow, just try not to infer especially when dealing with people Im unfamiliar with.

Never forgive, never forget, never for fun and never for free Wink

But, yes some of us old world types have long memories.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user