If you HAD to choose a religion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2012, 02:35 PM
RE: If you HAD to choose a religion...
Jainism.

The ultimate religion of peace.

Excerpts:

"Therefore regard every living being as you do yourself, harming no one and being kind to all living beings."

"Limit possessions and lead a life that is useful to yourself and others. Owning an object by itself is not possessiveness; however, attachment to an object is possessiveness. Non-possessiveness is the balancing of needs and desires while staying detached from our possessions."

"It is, therefore, important not to waste human life in evil ways. Rather, strive to rise on the ladder of spiritual evolution."

"...to cause "no harm" to living beings (on the lines of "live" and "let live"). The vow involves "minimizing" intentional as well as unintentional harm to another living creature."

"... to always speak of truth such that no harm is caused to others. A person who speaks truth becomes trustworthy like a mother, venerable like a preceptor and dear to everyone like a kinsman. Given that non-violence has priority, all other principles yield to it whenever there is a conflict. For example, in a situation where speaking truth would lead to violence, it would be perfectly moral to remain silent (for you are neither being untrue, nor causing violence by way of truth)"

"According to Jain beliefs, the universe was never created, nor will it ever cease to exist. Therefore, it is shaswat (eternal) from that point of view. It has no beginning or end, but time is cyclical with progressive and regressive spirituality phases. In other words, within the universe itself there will be constant changes, movements and modifications in line with the macro phases of the time cycles."

You can't even eat root plants because you have to kill the plant to eat it. And when you walk, you brush the ground in front of you so you don't step on any bugs.

I like to refer to this religion whenever a Christian has the audacity to refer to their religion as the religion of peace.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
07-02-2012, 02:41 PM
The Greek gods. There are multiple to choose from and you pick your patron god to be your mentor.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
07-02-2012, 03:20 PM
reform Judaism....actually, my lack of belief in any kind of existing god is probably the only reason I'm NOT a reform Jewish girl....they even have a nice community in my home town..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Choose a church the way you'd choose a deli - convenience and parking.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
07-02-2012, 05:53 PM
If I absolutely had to choose a religion (and I don't think Taoism or similar really counts in this case) I'd have to go withCatholicism - just because it'd be a hell of a lot easier to fit in with my family and school that way. If I'm already going against what I really believe, might as well go with the one that makes life easy.
07-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Such an easy question. I would choose Hamatacism. I would get to worship me all day and since I do that already there wouldn't be a big lifestyle change.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Is there a church of dudetteism?
If not, I'll go with buddhism or fuck-you-ism!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Dudette is an out dated term left behind in the eighties. The Dude does use the term I think at least once throughout the film, but regardless the times they have a spoken. Girls are called dudes as well nowadays. Dude.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
(07-02-2012 06:51 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Dudette is an out dated term left behind in the eighties. The Dude does use the term I think at least once throughout the film, but regardless the times they have a spoken. Girls are called dudes as well nowadays. Dude.

Fabulous, showing my age Sad
Well, looks like it's fuck-u-ism!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
If I weren't a newly ordained monk in the temple of Dude, me and you would be forced to do battle with headbutts. I would invariably win due in large part to my forehead of steel.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison