If you are a Woman or Black

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2014, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2014 03:02 PM by MrKrispy601.)
If you are a Woman or Black
So I'm lucky enough to work with a group of people who are all atheist(contrary to belief there is a good chunk of us military folks who are). Today the topic of which race and group are the biggest supports of Christianity and why. Of course most American's will automatically say black women.

Then I brought up the question "Why are they some of the biggest supporters when this doctrine has been used to oppress them as women and blacks?"

Think about it in the very beginning of this book who does all the blame for the suffering of the rest of the world there after blamed on? A woman. For a woman to be so behind a belief system that blames women for the suffering of everyone and cast them as no more than property it is ludicrous.

Next, Black American's(I personally don't like the term African American seeing as both my parents are American citizens ONLY so it's not a correct term). My great grandmother told me many of stories about how her mother had her right at the back end of slavery. Although she didn't endure it herself her mother passed down stories. One of the main things that was used to break the psyche of the slaves and make them more controllable was religion. The were told countless times that it was the divine will of God that wanted them to do this work and if they did so they would be rewarded in heaven. Both of my parents have heard this story from my great grandmother when she was alive and will say with a straight face "That's so evil, to twist God's word that way" Gasp Are you fucking serious? This is when I realized that they have not actually picked up their bible. It is still unknown that they are still in the never ending cycle by believing in this God(the same one advocating slavery in his divine book) Usually I bring up this point when talking to black Christians and they usually only get upset and call me the devil(or anti-Christ). I've never had any other reaction besides anger.

I think I'll never get the title of a black Christian especially for those who claim to have had ancestors that were in slave some 148 years ago and never hesitate to blame some downfall on that against white people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
30-07-2014, 03:10 PM
RE: If you are a Woman or Black
Listen to TTA podcast about black atheists for a whole bunch of background info.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
31-07-2014, 11:04 AM
I think I might be the only black person here, but I could be wrong.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
31-07-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm Hispanic. Are we checking in? Puerto Rican in the hizzieee!!!!!

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
31-07-2014, 11:59 AM
(30-07-2014 02:58 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  For a woman to be so behind a belief system that blames women for the suffering of everyone and cast them as no more than property it is ludicrous.

I hear this a lot. The whole "Why would a woman ever believe in this when the Bible so clearly does not value them?" And I don't really have an answer. I am a woman who bought into all of it - that men were inherently better (still sinners, of course, but better - less apt to be led astray or into sin...), that women were best off when under the leadership of a man to guide her, etc. Confused

It bugs me to think about all that now, of course, but I believed it at the time. And I wonder if it is some combination of being exposed to those doctrines from an early age (as I was) and also of being naturally submissive in personality as well. Consider

31-07-2014, 12:02 PM
(31-07-2014 11:04 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I think I might be the only black person here, but I could be wrong.
Uhhh, no. I clearly have my picture as my avatar. Not sure what ethnicity you think I am. I know there are others, possibly including the OP.

31-07-2014, 12:05 PM
(31-07-2014 11:59 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(30-07-2014 02:58 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  For a woman to be so behind a belief system that blames women for the suffering of everyone and cast them as no more than property it is ludicrous.

I hear this a lot. The whole "Why would a woman ever believe in this when the Bible so clearly does not value them?" And I don't really have an answer. I am a woman who bought into all of it - that men were inherently better (still sinners, of course, but better - less apt to be led astray or into sin...), that women were best off when under the leadership of a man to guide her, etc. Confused

It bugs me to think about all that now, of course, but I believed it at the time. And I wonder if it is some combination of being exposed to those doctrines from an early age (as I was) and also of being naturally submissive in personality as well. Consider
I think if you are conditioned by your society that some things are just "the way" you can rationalize it as such. I think of the Muslim women who don't realize how incredibly oppressive it is that they cannot show their skin in public, because for them that is just how it is and how it is supposed to be.

[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
31-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Personally, I always find pointing at the Adam and Eve story as a misogyny point to be grasping at straws (rather unneededly, considering everything else in the book). Maybe it's cause I see it as just a story now, or because I always kind of got the impression it was supposed to be the snake's fault. Or because the whole thing's just really stupid in all aspects.

But aside from that...much like pretty much everything else people would get uncomfortable with, they tend to skip over the bad stuff in Sunday School and mass, and actually reading the book never really occurs to most people. A lot of them probably aren't even aware the bad stuff is there.

(I'm a woman, for the record. Or, girl, I guess.)

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
31-07-2014, 12:30 PM
I'll never understand how a woman can defend a book that tells them they are chattel and should be silent.
31-07-2014, 01:11 PM
(31-07-2014 11:04 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I think I might be the only black person here, but I could be wrong.

Nope there is at least two more including myself