If you are fluent in a language other than English....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2012, 04:39 PM
RE: If you are fluent in a language other than English....
Stop it! That's not what machine translation is for!

This is actually what I do. Research ways to improve machine translation.
You can even read my latest publication on the subject here

I suppose we should at least be grateful someone is using it, even if it is to mock it Tongue

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Ich bin der weiße Leere. Ich bin der kalten Stahl. Ich bin der gerade Schwert. Mit Klinge in der Hand werde ich ernten die Sünden dieser Welt und clense sie in das Feuer der Zerstörung! Ich bin Haku-Men. Das Ende ist gekommen!

Is mise an neamhní bán. Is mise an cruach fuar. Is mise an claíomh díreach. Beidh Le lann ar láimh liom bhaint as na peacaí an domhain, agus iad a clense i thine scrios! Táim Haku-Fir. Tá deireadh tagtha!

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
20-01-2012, 04:47 PM
(20-01-2012 04:44 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  Is mise an neamhní bán. Is mise an cruach fuar. Is mise an claíomh díreach. Beidh Le lann ar láimh liom bhaint as na peacaí an domhain, agus iad a clense i thine scrios! Táim Haku-Fir. Tá deireadh tagtha!

Are you Irish?

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
20-01-2012, 05:12 PM
German Irish it looks like.

I'm an eclectic mix of Irish and Scottish.

Beidh mé deoch amach duit
agus ansin beidh mé nochtann my arse

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2012, 07:42 PM
(20-01-2012 05:12 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I'm an eclectic mix of Irish and Scottish.

Beidh mé deoch amach duit
agus ansin beidh mé nochtann my arse

Irish and Scottish, excellent choice Big Grin.

Unfortunatly I don't speak gaelic and agus is the only word there I know so it's off to google translate I go.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
20-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Not only do I not speak it I can't understand it when reading. All I know I'd that translation isn't exactly accurate because Scottish Gaelic and Irish gaelic are fairly different (so I've been told) and I could only find an Irish Gaelic translator.

I've tried to learn French (forced) German, mandarin, and Japanese all to no avail! I am language incompatible. I can barely speak English sometimes.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2012, 11:18 PM
(20-01-2012 04:39 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Stop it! That's not what machine translation is for!

This is actually what I do. Research ways to improve machine translation.
You can even read my latest publication on the subject here

I suppose we should at least be grateful someone is using it, even if it is to mock it Tongue

Since you're a Machine Translation professional, I'm particularly interested in your take on this. If the uses of MT in the previous posts are "not what machine translation is for," what is it for, then? What are the proper and improper domains of MT? And what are your predictions for the future of MT? Will it ever fully replace human translation?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
21-01-2012, 01:39 AM
I use it to translate words I can not remember the translation from. I use it several times daily. I's always open in an other tab.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
21-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Dakle, vi niste pretjerano normalni, ali evo napisat cu i ja nesto, da se zna da i ja znam koristit Google Translator...

So, you are not too normal, but here, I will write something, to know that I know use Google Translator ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, the are only small errors. It actually translated good, literally from Croatian to English, so I will have to rephrase my Croatian part of this, so that the English can come out better. The real problem can occur if I start using some Croatian phrases, that can never be translated into English, because they become complete gibberish.

All in all, I use Google translator all the time and I think it is great, works like a charm. What I can never understand is how the hell can someone take movie subtitles, them throw them into GoogTrans and then post then online like normal subtitles? I had "22 bullets", a French movie with English subtitles, it was horrible, I managed to watch almost half of the movie, but then I realized that I have no idea what is going on in the movie, so I decided to stop watching until I get normal ones. Now, that's just stupid. Me watching the movie that way and making subs like that, it's all stupid.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
21-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Sorry, I got overly excited at the thought of another atheist in my area. Where do you live? (I promise not to stalk you).

(20-01-2012 11:18 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Since you're a Machine Translation professional, I'm particularly interested in your take on this. If the uses of MT in the previous posts are "not what machine translation is for," what is it for, then? What are the proper and improper domains of MT? And what are your predictions for the future of MT? Will it ever fully replace human translation?

MT as it is now, and as it will be in the forseeable future, cannot completely replace humans. But what it can do is remove the need for human translators and replace them with post-editors. All post-editors need to do is go over sentences already translated by an MT System and correct the errors.
This cuts down the time needed and even if you pay post-editors more per minute than translators, they will still cost you less so it's well worth the investment. (Actual numbers available on request, because I need to look for them)

My previous post was meant as a joke though. I do suspect that this is exactly what google translate is for. So if you are translating into your native language, you can post-edit the result. If you're translating into a foreign language, that's where problems might arise, especially if the translation is not too good.

[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post