If you are fluent in a language other than English....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2012, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2012 06:24 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: A little experiment
(21-01-2012 05:57 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(21-01-2012 05:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  P.S. Who knew the old guy knew so many languages. Big Grin

There's a helluva lot you don't know about the old guy, GM. Wink

I'm certain of that. Smile

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-01-2012, 04:46 AM
RE: If you are fluent in a language other than English....
Yeah the problem with languages such as Urdu is a lack of parallel corpora to work with. Translators like google rely on large sets of sentences in both languages to train the system. Which is why "familiar" languages work better, there's just so much more to work with.

When there is a lack of data, one has to start looking into other kinds of systems such as rulebased systems or example based systems.

Hmm, I never realised before that I love my work. But it seems I can't stop talking about it. Thanks for making me realise this Tongue

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
22-01-2012, 11:06 PM
RE: If you are fluent in a language other than English....
(22-01-2012 04:46 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Yeah the problem with languages such as Urdu is a lack of parallel corpora to work with. ... When there is a lack of data, one has to start looking into other kinds of systems such as rulebased systems or example based systems.

Yup.

(22-01-2012 04:46 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Hmm, I never realised before that I love my work. But it seems I can't stop talking about it. Thanks for making me realise this Tongue

Yup yup.

Breathing - it's more art than science.