If you believe Alexander the Great existed, then why not Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2014, 08:05 PM
RE: If you believe Alexander the Great existed, then why not Jesus?
(04-11-2014 11:23 AM)WhatWasIThinking Wrote:  There is abundant documentation for Jesus, compared to almost nothing on Alexander...

There is an abundance of suicide bombers willing to die for Allah, compared to almost none for Jesus...

See? That reasoning is stupid. Also what you're saying is technically incorrect. I'm sure it's been corrected more than once in the past dozen or so pages. I'm not wasting the time reading through the troll thread to find out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
04-11-2014, 08:15 PM
(04-11-2014 01:32 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Again BULLSHIT... its only declared by those with an agenda against Christianity.. MOST SCHOLARS agree Jesus Lived. You don't question ANY other reference by Josephus and the charge that that ONE part is a forgery is RIDICULOUS because it is based on NOTHING but your wishes...

Oh but we do, Liar-For-Jebus. His book was an attempt to prove Vespasian, (the Roman Emperor) was the messiah. You say you believe THAT ?
The fact is, you never ever read anything Josephus wrote in it's entirety, did you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Wolf is a liar. Honestly if his next post isn't an apology for the rude behavior he has shown I'm putting him on ignore.

Further he is breaking the ninth commandment, thou shalt no bear false witness, by giving false accounts of the facts. So congratulations, here's your golden crocoduck.

As I've stated, if you admit you're wrong I will respect that. If you admit that you don't care and you will believe what you want I'll respect that. I have nothing but contempt for lies and children who stick their fingers in their ears going "La la la, I can't hear you!"
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
04-11-2014, 10:26 PM
(04-11-2014 11:36 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 11:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  I call sock puppet.

That's because youre an idiot, only capable of spam and ad hom attacks
If you WERENT a moron/spammer/unarmed bitch with nothing but ad hom to fight with, you would have

1) written to both accounts, showing actual integrity, to ASK

2) go to Admin with your paranoia and ask them to check

Youre a Moron/idiot/little bitch/coward, and unarmed with reason

[Image: mlfw5529-47832343255.png]

ProTip: Making anonymous internet threats against other anonymous people makes you a real internet tough guy.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
04-11-2014, 10:44 PM
(04-11-2014 03:51 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Wrong again moron... THE CHURCH is physical evidence of Jesus, as is documentation 10 years remove form His life, and tens of thousands more in the same allotted time for Alexanders documentation Smile

Erm....no.
The CHURCH is physical evidence that humans built buildings where they choose something called worship. Could be jewish, muslim, buddism, etc.
Or even this jesus of which you speak....
But a church isnt evidence of anything but mankind's ability to do construction.

Funny you call others morons.
Funny indeed.

Crissakes....what a loser!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
04-11-2014, 11:08 PM
(04-11-2014 11:36 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 11:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  I call sock puppet.

That's because youre an idiot, only capable of spam and ad hom attacks
If you WERENT a moron/spammer/unarmed bitch with nothing but ad hom to fight with, you would have

1) written to both accounts, showing actual integrity, to ASK

2) go to Admin with your paranoia and ask them to check

Youre a Moron/idiot/little bitch/coward, and unarmed with reason

Wow Chazzz
... Can you withstand these insults? What's a hom anyway? Ive never heard of a hom before.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
04-11-2014, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 11:33 PM by Tomasia.)
We don't have enough evidence to say without a doubt that Alexander the Great existed, nearly all the sources regarding his life were written several centuries after his supposed death, and often tell conflicting stories. Any one honest with themselves will see that as the far as the question of his existence is concerned, we should claim that we don't know.

The stories about him were likely created from various myths, and historical figures of the time, sort of like how TV characters are composed, and there may have been a likely ruler named Alexander, on which these writers may have used as a jumping point to create their myths, but he likely had very little resemblance to accounts written about Alexander the great, and the only real commonality might have been the fact that they had similar names.

The stories may sound like histories, but keep in mind that even fiction writers, wrote myths that sounded very much like histories, such as Plutarch's and Romus and Remus. Inscription's with his name have as much bearing on his actual existence, as inscriptions with the names of pagan Gods, lend credibility to their existence.

Any real skeptic can see that the Alexander's existence is pretty questionable, the odds of his existence hover around 20% in my estimate. If you disagree, then the burden of proof falls on you.
04-11-2014, 11:34 PM
Since you don't know what the fuck you are talking about here is an observation - posted elsewhere on this forum not all that long ago.

"A greater gaffe in defense of Jesus' historicity is to make claims that are conspicuously opposite the truth of the matter, as when E.P.
Sanders boasts that 'the sources for Jesus are better ... than those that
deal with Alexander [the Great]'. A more suicidal remark for his case
could hardly be imag­ined. Unlike Jesus, we have over half a dozen
relatively objective histori­ans discussing the history of Alexander the Great (most notably Diodorus, Dionysius, Rufus, Trogus, Plutarch and
more). These are not romances or propagandists, least of all fanatical
worshipers, or anyone concerned about dogma, but disinterested historical writers employing some of the recog­nized skills of critical analysis of their day on a wide body of sources they had available that we do not. Which doesn't mean we trust everything they say, but we still cannot name even one such person for Jesus, and 'none' is not 'more' than half a dozen.

Richard Carrier - On the Historicity of Jesus Pg. 21-22"

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
05-11-2014, 12:03 AM
(04-11-2014 11:34 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Unlike Jesus, we have over half a dozen
relatively objective histori­ans discussing the history of Alexander the Great (most notably Diodorus, Dionysius, Rufus, Trogus, Plutarch and
more).

They were all greeks, in support of greek patriotism, so they weren't objective, but where devoted to spread the greek mythos of the heroic god-king, not to mention that these writers wrote of Alexander a couple hundred years after his death. And writers like Plutarch wrote of fictional beings like Romus and Remus, in the style of historical writings as well. There has long been a greek tradition, of ficto-historosis, in which mythologies were told using the style of histories, to convey a sort of realism, like realism in films, this is the style incorporated by these writers as well.
05-11-2014, 12:44 AM
So... Greek actual historians make unreliable sources, but alleged Jewish fishermen are 100% trustworthy? Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post