If you believe Alexander the Great existed, then why not Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: If you believe Alexander the Great existed, then why not Jesus?
Wait a sec, 150% of zero is still zero...

Infinite percent raise!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2014, 02:42 PM
(07-11-2014 12:59 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 12:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It was an "age of magic" and spirits. That's how the "miracle-workers" got away with people thinking they were "special". It's almost impossible to imagine the level of general ignorance at a time when the literacy rate was 5% or less.

Ok I see your point now. Since many people believed miracles were really happening, then they still should have written about them. I guess then, since no one wrote about Jesus' miracles, his must have been really underwhelming.

Doesn't it just make logical sense that as 300+ years pass after the prophet jesus died that his "tales" were just like fish tales of today(?) .... that they grew each time the story was told until he fed thousands with a couple of fish and so on...like raising the dead, walking water, etc.

So yanno..
Written down or told at the campfire with pot-o-stew...tales grow as they're passed along.
Period.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
07-11-2014, 03:34 PM
http://infidels.org/library/modern/richa...kooks.html

Quote:Kooks and Quacks of the Roman Empire: A Look into the World of the Gospels (1997)

Richard Carrier

Quote:We all have read the tales told of Jesus in the Gospels, but few people really have a good idea of their context. Yet it is quite enlightening to examine them against the background of the time and place in which they were written, and my goal here is to help you do just that. There is abundant evidence that these were times replete with kooks and quacks of all varieties, from sincere lunatics to ingenious frauds, even innocent men mistaken for divine, and there was no end to the fools and loons who would follow and praise them. Placed in this context, the gospels no longer seem to be so remarkable, and this leads us to an important fact: when the Gospels were written, skeptics and informed or critical minds were a small minority. Although the gullible, the credulous, and those ready to believe or exaggerate stories of the supernatural are still abundant today, they were much more common in antiquity, and taken far more seriously.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
07-11-2014, 04:08 PM
(07-11-2014 03:34 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  http://infidels.org/library/modern/richa...kooks.html

Quote:Kooks and Quacks of the Roman Empire: A Look into the World of the Gospels (1997)
Richard Carrier
..and there was no end to the fools and loons who would follow and praise them.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
07-11-2014, 05:18 PM
"Follow the Gourd!!!!!!!!"

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
07-11-2014, 05:38 PM
(07-11-2014 12:59 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 12:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It was an "age of magic" and spirits. That's how the "miracle-workers" got away with people thinking they were "special". It's almost impossible to imagine the level of general ignorance at a time when the literacy rate was 5% or less.

Ok I see your point now. Since many people believed miracles were really happening, then they still should have written about them. I guess then, since no one wrote about Jesus' miracles, his must have been really underwhelming.

If David Blaine had been alive back then, the western world would be hailing him as the messiah, nothing would have been mentioned about Jesus.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-11-2014, 05:48 PM
(07-11-2014 05:38 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 12:59 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Ok I see your point now. Since many people believed miracles were really happening, then they still should have written about them. I guess then, since no one wrote about Jesus' miracles, his must have been really underwhelming.

If David Blaine had been alive back then, the western world would be hailing him as the messiah, nothing would have been mentioned about Jesus.

Blaine can make me do this [Image: HEADSHAKEFAST.gif~c100]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Re: If you believe Alexander the Great existed, then why not Jesus?
Blaine almost got his ass kicked in Haiti because of their superstitions.

Some fellow magicians and I know his tricks (my specialty is the ashes on the arm revealing your chosen card). We actually mentioned that most of the "real" magic in the past were just really good patter.
07-11-2014, 06:35 PM
(07-11-2014 01:31 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 12:59 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I guess then, since no one wrote about Jesus' miracles, his must have been really underwhelming.

I have no interest in this thread, but greyhounds!!! Woo!!!
08-11-2014, 01:14 PM

Young girl's hearts scare the shit outta Girly. They always end up costing me, be it wife or daughter. Hobo

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post