If you could absorb someone else's life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2012, 09:05 PM
If you could absorb someone else's life
Not in a Justin Timberlake "In Time" kind of way... there's nothing disturbing about taking numbers from someone's wrist and watching them fall down. I mean like in the new "Snow White" movie (along with others) kind of way. Let's say it were possible to steal someone's life force, adding to your years and youthful appearance, while simultaneously robbing them of their life and making them haggard and old. You literally had to watch the person age and die.

First question. Would YOU do it? You probably immediately think "of course not." But as you get older and near death, you may start to rationalize to convince yourself otherwise. I'll just take the years off of life sentence inmates or criminals. They're not using the time anyways. What if a young person has a terminal disease and they don't have much time left. Might as well "put them out of their misery" and add a few years to your life as well.

Second question is, would it become an underground market, aka would other people do it? Would it become so common that it greatly alters our social structures? Wouldn't the rich be able to pay top dollar to acquire life and youth? I guess it does help if you've seen In Time, since that's the class system I'm talking about.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
03-09-2012, 09:13 PM
RE: If you could absorb someone else's life
(03-09-2012 09:05 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  First question. Would YOU do it? You probably immediately think "of course not." But as you get older and near death, you may start to rationalize to convince yourself otherwise. I'll just take the years off of life sentence inmates or criminals. They're not using the time anyways. What if a young person has a terminal disease and they don't have much time left. Might as well "put them out of their misery" and add a few years to your life as well.

Second question is, would it become an underground market, aka would other people do it? Would it become so common that it greatly alters our social structures? Wouldn't the rich be able to pay top dollar to acquire life and youth? I guess it does help if you've seen In Time, since that's the class system I'm talking about.

That would make an interesting film. Ethics are borderline enough!

Oh wait. Title of another movie... NOOOO!!! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
03-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Please absorb mine, and clean my room. Then give me back. Thank you very much. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
04-09-2012, 02:05 AM
I have absolutely zero desire to live forever. In regard to remaining youthful, I don't intend to live past 40ish (we'll see how I feel when I get there).

However, one thing I would very much enjoy is being invincible while I am here. This ability would of course bring with it a prolonged life, but I could decide to tap out whenever I officially got sick of living, so that would be acceptable.

My personal sentiments aside, though, it's the very nature of living things to continue living. It's instilled deep within us. History has shown time and time again that...omg, I finally get to use my Joker quote Big Grin : "When the chips are down, these...'civilized' people...they'll eat each other."

In other words, I don't care how moral someone is; if it came down to that very last, terrifying moment, they'd take someone else's life if it sustained their own. It's unpleasant, it's cynical, it's appaling, but it's nature. More specifically, it's OUR nature. The one we like to pretend isn't there.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2012, 05:40 AM
I don't think I could do it. I've considered strange scenarios like this one, but not this specifically. More along the lines of what I might do to someone or something if I were desperate. Could I really do it? Could I really follow through with something that could cause serious harm or even kill another human being? I don't think I have it in me, no...
04-09-2012, 06:36 AM
(03-09-2012 09:05 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ... to steal someone's life force, ... robbing them of their life and making them haggard and old. You literally had to watch the person age and die.

kinda thing my mother used to say until I moved out.

04-09-2012, 07:02 AM
I'm too busy fucking my own life up to be bothered to fuck up someone else's life....

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 3 users Like ddrew's post
04-09-2012, 07:17 AM
(04-09-2012 07:02 AM)ddrew Wrote:  I'm too busy fucking my own life up to be bothered to fuck up someone else's life....

Sounds dangerous. It only concerns the body? Your own body younger? I wouldn't want anything else from anyone, and even just the life force - not sure I would want it. I am comfortable in my skin. I think life after menopause is tons better than the hormone riddled life before. It's difficult to magine before you experience it yourself, but it's most liberating to get older.

You don't realize when you are young just how much of everything you think and do is dictated by your hormonal balance. And that's good that way, enjoy what you have. But don't knock moving on to a different plane.

Personally, I think I'll pass going back to a previous physical state. Because it's not just physical. Your thinking will be affected greatly.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-09-2012, 07:28 AM
As long as I dont have to fight in any tournaments..........

I imagine this "gift" would be cool at first...... but I imagine semi-immortality would become tiresome after a while.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Question is, how would you stop someone from stealing everyone else's life force? There would be chaos because everyone would be trying to stay alive by taking life from someone else, while at the same time life was being sucked from them.

But, let's say that didn't happen. If you could only do it if both people agree, then it could be great. A person that has decided to commit suicide, might give all their years that they aren't going to use anymore to an elder who wish he could live longer and see more of the world.