If you could choose one remake.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2012, 01:17 AM
If you could choose one remake.
I have a game that was one of my favorites when I was little. It was called "Galaxy 5000" and was for the NES. It was ahead of its' time. The game was a futuristic racing game and the ships actually had a shadow under them, which made jumping easier. If I could choose one game that I would love to see remade for the current systems out there, that would be it. It is the only game out there where there was some limitted speach. The game could say "Watch it!" and a few other things. It is also one of the first that I know of to have a hidden bonus race that you had to complete the game without losing a race in order to get to. The downsides were that on multi-player you could only play the first world (4 races). Single player you could play the whole game. I would love to see this game come back with better graphics and maybe options on view. If you could choose a game to be redone from one of the older game systems out there, what would it be? On a side note, I still play galaxy 5000 on my nes from time to time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2012, 01:57 AM
RE: If you could choose one remake.
Mmmmm, Baldur's Gate 1&2, with new graphics and D&D 3.5e rules, instead of 2nd edition rules. Splendid.

Fallout Van Burren, it was n ever finished and it was suppose to be the original Fallout 3. I'd like them to remake/finish this one.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
04-10-2012, 04:26 AM
(04-10-2012 01:57 AM)Filox Wrote:  Mmmmm, Baldur's Gate 1&2, with new graphics and D&D 3.5e rules, instead of 2nd edition rules. Splendid.

Fallout Van Burren, it was n ever finished and it was suppose to be the original Fallout 3. I'd like them to remake/finish this one.

Instantly thought Baldur's Gate 2 also.

Though they'd probably fuck it up. BG2 is awesome because of it's large open world for half the game anyway) and it's extreme complexity. The characters are great and there is a huge range to choose from. You gotta get your party just right (unlike today's RPGs where you can hack and slash everything throughout a game without any thought) and the enemies were fantastic ranging from shitty 1hit-kill goblins to several mighty Dragons which in themselves were all very different with varring degrees of difficulty.
Today you wouldn't get any of that. You'd get a very linear story and some fancy graphics and that's about it.

This is the beauty of these fantastic classic games, you couldn't rely on graphics and so had to make up for it with fantastic stories and game mechanics. Today's games lack this severally.
It seems only MMORPGs have some hint of this. WoW certainly had this depth until Wrath of The Lich King came out then it all went simply Simon.
I mean kids these days play games like Skyrim and Fallout and think that because you have multi options on perks to choose from when you level that it's a game with a lot of depth.. son, they wouldn't know an indepth game if it slapped them in the face.

So to answer the question, nothing. There is certainly a lot of modern games that I would love to have remade and drastically improved, "Mount & Blade" comes to mind, but as for old classics? nope, why ruin them?

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
04-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Given that I have not played anything since Sonic the Hedgehog, I'll have to broaden the theme...

The Game of Life the Universe and Everything.

It obviously started as a one player game but then the maker seemed to lose interest for quite some time. The upgrade to include Artificial Intelligence was a good step forward and then it became a multi-player game. The maximum blood and slaughter options were pretty amazing.

But then, as with all good things, the blogs started whinging about have no other players but one blah blah and we end up with three powerful user sites that start to influence and kill off the multi-player concept.

However, recent changes to the constitutional governance games policies seem to be moving in the right direction where the game itself is likely to become self-sustaining and does not need any players and with the original game creator long since dead, it seems like the right move.

There is obviously some dying-breath resistance from the three main user blog sites but given that they haven't updated their pages for what seems like centuries I don't think that will make much difference in the long run.

The Game of Life the Universe and Everything.
Retail Price: $39.99 (Amazon).

EDIT: Breaking news for Games fans... Watch this space!
Inside sources are saying there is a sequel in the pipeline.
Typically, some blogs are claiming to know everything about it already but officially, no one knows what kind of game it's going to be.
Its working title is "Afterlife" and you can try to reserve an advanced copy by send your propitiations to the usual places.

04-10-2012, 07:27 AM
(04-10-2012 01:57 AM)Filox Wrote:  Mmmmm, Baldur's Gate 1&2, with new graphics and D&D 3.5e rules, instead of 2nd edition rules. Splendid.

That was exactly what I thought too!

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
04-10-2012, 08:11 AM
The trilogy of Shining Force 3. It came out on the Saturn and was a wonderfully made strategy game. Only the first of the 3 parts was made into english.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
04-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Ears, you are absolutely correct, but if the original team that made the original BG and BG2 were back on the case, then maybe someone could just remake the graphics and change the rules a bit to fit the 3.5 e, without touching the game, story, area, enemies... It COULD be done, but I think that you are right, due to the modern trend of retarding all the new games, some wise guy would want to broaden the audience, so your scenario sounds much closer to reality.

It's a pity, I would really want to play BG with 3.5 rules. I don't actually mind the graphics, the game itself is isometric view, so the shiny graphics is not needed at all. But the new rules, now that is a whole new subject...

Did you know that there are a lot of fan made mods for some old games that drastically improve the graphics of the original? So you can play Fallout 1 with much newer graphics, some smartass changed every single rock in the game and made it in high res. I think that there is similar mods for BG and BG2 as well. The fan-based mods are pretty common for these old classics and they work perfectly, without meddling in the game itself.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
05-10-2012, 12:27 AM
I would either remake contra 3, or psychonauts ( a very under appreciated gem ). My spelling may be off but I don't care. I loved contra 3. It was bad ass. And I loved me some psychonauts. However I never could beat it because of some really bad collision detection in one of the last levels that had the player climbing a spinning sphere that was missing pieces an had fire happening. I constantly jumped into the abyss simply because the game thought I really would rather do that then land on the platform directly in front of me. Also I couldn't get all of the figments in one of the levels on the ps2 version due to a glitch. Fuck you psychonauts. I love you.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Thief II - The Metal Age

Easily one of the best games ever made.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
05-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Quote:Ears, you are absolutely correct

You say this like there was any doubt I would not be correct.

Oh and thought of a game, the Hitman series. I wish they'd make a remake of that. I know it's a newish game but it's not new-new.
They got the Splinter Cell series and Assassins Creed series, but I think you can never have too many stealthy assassination style games.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]