Poll: Would you want an afterlife to exist?
Yes
No
Undecided
I have no idea, I'm only voting so I don't feel left out
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
If you could choose whether or not an afterlife existed ................

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2013, 04:11 PM
If you could choose whether or not an afterlife existed ................
Question says it all really, would you want an afterlife to exist? I'm not asking about any specific idea of an afterlife, just the general concept of continuing on as yourself after death.

Personally I would want one to exist (though I don't believe one does). I hate the idea that all of my thoughts and experiences (and me myself) will cease to exist one day. And I hate the idea of that happening to some other people in my life as well.

PS. The poll is a public one people, everyone else can see what you vote for.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2013, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2013 04:18 PM by ClydeLee.)
Re: If you could choose whether or not an afterlife existed ................
I would not like make a judgment without knowing what type of afterlife it was.

So, no, because of uncertainty I would not choose it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
20-09-2013, 04:16 PM
RE: If you could choose whether or not an afterlife existed ................
Since I am assuming you mean an eternal afterlife then no I would not like that. Given the choice I would take oblivion to the sheer amounts of boredom eternal time would bring. This is why no idea of paradise seems that great to me.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
20-09-2013, 04:21 PM
(20-09-2013 04:11 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Question says it all really, would you want an afterlife to exist? I'm not asking about any specific idea of an afterlife, just the general concept of continuing on as yourself after death.

Personally I would want one to exist (though I don't believe one does). I hate the idea that all of my thoughts and experiences (and me myself) will cease to exist one day. And I hate the idea of that happening to some other people in my life as well.

PS. The poll is a public one people, everyone else can see what you vote for.

A lot of physics suggest that your thoughts and experiences and you never cease to exist.
20-09-2013, 04:26 PM
I'd like an afterlife, but only if it changes; maybe I get reincarnated and sent back to Earth, or I get brain-wiped every 100 years. If I remember everything and the afterlife stays the same for eternity, then no, I'd rather cease to exist.

(20-09-2013 04:21 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A lot of physics suggest that your thoughts and experiences and you never cease to exist.

[Image: wat-funny-face.jpg]

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
20-09-2013, 04:28 PM
(20-09-2013 04:26 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I'd like an afterlife, but only if it changes; maybe I get reincarnated and sent back to Earth, or I get brain-wiped every 100 years. If I remember everything and the afterlife stays the same for eternity, then no, I'd rather cease to exist.

I can't see how an afterlife would stay exactly the same forever. Humans are changing what life is like on Earth rapidly enough, I don't see why an afterlife would be any different.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
20-09-2013, 04:37 PM
What I mean is the sort of afterlife I hear fundamentalist Christians preaching, where it's not much more than sitting around praising God for eternity. Nothing new ever happens, and nobody gets to be an individual outside of what the Bible says is acceptable. It's like being in detention, stuck in a chair, watching the clock tick away, conscious of it for all time.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
20-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Yes, with the caveat that it be exactly as depicted in Grim Fandango.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
20-09-2013, 04:41 PM
(20-09-2013 04:26 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I'd like an afterlife, but only if it changes; maybe I get reincarnated and sent back to Earth, or I get brain-wiped every 100 years. If I remember everything and the afterlife stays the same for eternity, then no, I'd rather cease to exist.

(20-09-2013 04:21 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A lot of physics suggest that your thoughts and experiences and you never cease to exist.

[Image: wat-funny-face.jpg]

Google "block time" or "block universe". The model hasn't been proved and can't(too my knowledge be tested) but is a logical consequence of relativity.
20-09-2013, 04:43 PM
(20-09-2013 04:37 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  What I mean is the sort of afterlife I hear fundamentalist Christians preaching, where it's not much more than sitting around praising God for eternity. Nothing new ever happens, and nobody gets to be an individual outside of what the Bible says is acceptable. It's like being in detention, stuck in a chair, watching the clock tick away, conscious of it for all time.

I'm trying to avoid any sort of definition on the afterlife. I wanna ask the question with the focus on the concept of eternal life itself, I don't want it to devolve into people basically stating what type of afterlife they would or wouldn't accept. After all, even the most ardent person who wants to cease existing after death would accept an afterlife if it was perfect for them, and even the most ardent person who wants to continue existing after death would reject an afterlife if it was totally horrific to them.

However, I am imagining an afterlife where you have the same sort of freewill to do choose what you do with your time as you have on Earth.

Best
Worst