Poll: Would you want an afterlife to exist?
Yes
No
Undecided
I have no idea, I'm only voting so I don't feel left out
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
If you could choose whether or not an afterlife existed ................

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2013, 04:47 PM
RE: If you could choose whether or not an afterlife existed ................
(20-09-2013 04:43 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(20-09-2013 04:37 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  What I mean is the sort of afterlife I hear fundamentalist Christians preaching, where it's not much more than sitting around praising God for eternity. Nothing new ever happens, and nobody gets to be an individual outside of what the Bible says is acceptable. It's like being in detention, stuck in a chair, watching the clock tick away, conscious of it for all time.

I'm trying to avoid any sort of definition on the afterlife. I wanna ask the question with the focus on the concept of eternal life itself, I don't want it to devolve into people basically stating what type of afterlife they would or wouldn't accept. After all, even the most ardent person who wants to cease existing after death would accept an afterlife if it was perfect for them, and even the most ardent person who wants to continue existing after death would reject an afterlife if it was totally horrific to them.

However, I am imagining an afterlife where you have the same sort of freewill to do choose what you do with your time as you have on Earth.

All things being equal, oblivion would be better than risking a chance that the afterlife turns out to be a horrific hell. Not knowing anything specific about the afterlife would incline to vote no.

An afterlife just like earth, well then hell yeah. I have/had a lotta fun and would like to ride that ride again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2013, 04:48 PM
^ That's what I was thinking. Whether or not I want life after death depends on what that life is like.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
20-09-2013, 04:52 PM
That’s a deceptively hard question that seems so obvious on the surface. Though I never believed in a real after life, even as a child, there is certainly that desire to never have to die, or to cease to be. If the question involved the most personally perfect after life, rather than having one imposed on you then I would initially say yes, for sure.

But when giving it a little more thought about what that would actually mean, I have to take pause. What if eventually you’ve done everything that could be done. You’ve learned everything that could be learned. You’ve gone everywhere that you could go. Worse, have thought every thought you could think. Even as things change and evolve in this imaginary world, eventually you’ve done and know so much of it there is nothing left to do or say. It seems impossible, but with infinity it’s only inevitable.

If you think of it as that question of being stranded on a desert island with one book, one person, and one record, what would you choose…then live there for infinity. The book will get old quick as will the record. Eventually you would have nothing new to say to even the person you love and enjoy the most in this world. All you could do is sit there. If there is no struggle to survive then there is no need to look for food or build shelter, or do anything but be. Even with the vastness of the universe eventually even going to a new planet and seeing new creatures on it would be pointless and uninteresting after infinite time.

Yes, I would love there to be an afterlife, but for how long? But the real thing I’m saying about that is I’d love to not actually have to die, but if the afterlife is infinite then at some point I think you would simply no longer even have new thoughts to think and just sit there not thinking anything as more infinite time passes by.

That by the way is what I always think of about “God” in the infinite time prior to “his” “creating” us, (caveat, which “he” did not do, because “he” is not real). If “he” existed “he” would have started off already knowing everything, seeing everything, having experienced everything. Everything in the infinite past and in the infinite future, and everything that could happen but never actually does or will. There would have been no reason for “him” to even do anything because “he” would have already experienced it all exactly the same as if it had happened in “his” own mind, plus “he” would experience all time at the exact same time so time wouldn’t even be a divisive thing to “him”. And on looking into eternity “he” couldn’t possible have any reason not be so board he just floats there mindless. There would be no reason for “him” to do anything at all. Same as for me if I lived infinitely long.

It would be really cool for awhile, as live is really cool right now, but eventually would it not be torturous to not end ever? Yes, I would love there to be an afterlife, or at least a longer current live, but how long? Three hundred years, a thousand, ten thousand years? Even after 200,000 years you’ve lived as long as human kind has walked the earth, and that’s not even a fraction of just the earth’s history. Maybe less time than that, maybe I could do more, but billions of year? Even billions of years is not even a fraction of infinity, not even close.

20-09-2013, 04:52 PM
As everyone wants to ask the one question I really don't wanna answer then I'll go with this; our hypothetical afterlife is an existence that is OK for you personally, not amazing, not horrific. It's whatever you would deem OK.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
20-09-2013, 05:33 PM
I'll take an afterlife with extra sprinkles of strippers on top please Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
20-09-2013, 05:56 PM
I'll say yes, but if the afterlife is bad, then no...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
20-09-2013, 06:25 PM
If it looked like this....
[Image: 117edited-WoodwardCanyon.jpg]

[Image: stock-photo-big-wine-barrels-in-a-wine-c...093489.jpg]
then yes! Yes

Like this?
[Image: desmet.jpeg]

[Image: pats3.jpg]
HELL no! No

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
20-09-2013, 06:58 PM
I would choose yes only if :

-No eternal praising of some galactic bully
-Ability to opt out
-Ability to decide to die if eternal life gets to boring
-The option to have a private afterlife ( i don't want to be surrounded by a billion people, that might get very annoying after a few trillion years ). Maybe with the option to invite people over.
-No carrots ( i hate carrots )
-Only if you get a new body in the afterlife , it would suck if you get hit by a car for example and have to life the rest of eternity squashed.
-No hell. the smell of people burning would totally ruined the mild summer evening in paradise.

Now...there is actually a way to acquire some sort of afterlife...you just have to sell your soul to Satan and...just kidding XD. But seriously...its called liveson ( http://liveson.org/ ) . Its a twitter bot which analysis your twitter behavior and emulates it after your death...its a kinda shitty after live...but hey, it enables you to pollute the internet with your useless tweets for eternity !
21-09-2013, 12:27 AM
(20-09-2013 06:58 PM)H2O2 Wrote:  I would choose yes only if :

-No eternal praising of some galactic bully
-Ability to opt out
-Ability to decide to die if eternal life gets to boring
-The option to have a private afterlife ( i don't want to be surrounded by a billion people, that might get very annoying after a few trillion years ). Maybe with the option to invite people over.
-No carrots ( i hate carrots )
-Only if you get a new body in the afterlife , it would suck if you get hit by a car for example and have to life the rest of eternity squashed.
-No hell. the smell of people burning would totally ruined the mild summer evening in paradise.
Basically this but I don't mind the carrots and the ability to erase the unneeded parts of the memory to keep eternity fresh.
21-09-2013, 01:05 AM
(20-09-2013 04:21 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A lot of physics suggest that your thoughts and experiences and you never cease to exist.

And the moon is made of green cheese.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post